• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In conversation with pim, I remember asking her once about pad thai and was it possible to get an authentic or near-authentic version of this dish in the United States.

I don't think it's possible. Most places I've been to make it too sweet or not spicy enough. I really am in love with this dish....and I hate it when it's used as a vehicle for something like chicken or pork. Like egg foo yung, what meat is used should be as little as possible...a supporting player but not the main centerpiece.

How do you make your pad thai?

Soba

• 1 month later...
I really am in love with this dish....and I hate it when it's used as a vehicle for something like chicken or pork. 

While visiting Bangkok I noticed that they don't offer "choice of meat" there like the American Thai restaurants; pad thai always had shrimp. Speaking of egg foo yung, once we had pad thai served inside an omelet.

Here's a link to pim and mamster's eGCI class, which includes a recipe for pad thai.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Pim & Mamster's class is a godsend, thanks! I thought I'd finally conquered Pad Thai but I see more to the recipe here. I threw in a bit of dashi in my sauce along with a splash of mirin. Hell, I make it a bit different every time.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

This is the recipe I learned in culinary school. I used it to make pad thai for 40 hungry girls this past Thursday...

Pad Thai

1 pound pad thai noodles

2 eggs

Peanut oil

1 tsp chopped garlic

1 tbsp chopped onion

3-4 tbsp vinegar

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 pound shrimp

Chicken stock

1 tsp pickled sweet radish

1 tbsp fried tofu

Sweet paprika

Cayenne

Sea salt and white pepper

1 cup bean sprouts

2 tbsp ground toasted peanuts plus extra for garnish

1 cup scallions and garlic chives

1 tbsp nam pla

Jalapenos

Lime slices

Soak noodles in water for at least 30 minutes. Beat eggs. Heat pan with oil. Add eggs. Cook without moving until half done and then move to pan side. Add onion and garlic. Add vinegar, sugar and soy sauce. Add shrimp. Add noodles. Add stock if needed and toss. Add radish, tofu, paprika, cayenne, pepper, and salt. Toss. Add half of sprouts. Toss. Add peanuts and most of scallions and chives. Add fish sauce. Toss and remove from heat. Plate with shrimp and scallions on top. Garnish with jalapenos, raw bean sprouts, lime slice, peanuts, and spring onions.