• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

moving to Harrisburg PA

bigcat

Hi all you Harrisburgers....I've read posts here about Camp Hill's Farmers Market, the best and worst of Lancaster Co., and the much-celebrated Passage to India, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other restaurants/markets/butchers/bakers/candlestick makers and/or general fun stuff to do (country fairs maybe??) and places to see in the area. We're moving in September and would love to get out and about before winter and our second baby arrives! TIA.

Hey bigcat,

I've been holding off replying to this topic, because I got nothin' in the way of recommendations for you. But I'm in a similar position to you: this fall, I'll be living in the greater Harrisburg area (Carlisle), have found only those same threads to which you allude, and am thinking that, boy, I'd like to do some interesting eating.

So let me encourage you to explore, and when you do, post away! We gots to build that eG database for central PA!

Welcome to central PA, bigcat and Andrew! I live in Carlisle, btw.

Big fall festivals here include Kipona (Labor Day weekend) and the Adams County Apple Harvest Festival (first two weekends in October). There are many many other festivals in the area. To find out more about area restaurants, your best bet is probably The Central PA Dining Guide.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

For all you current and future residents of Carlisle, on the cheap eats front, can't beat Faye's Country Kitchen for breakfast or The 'Milt (the Hamilton). At the 'Milt, order the Hachi burger or dog. I spent more time there than the Library when I was in college. Have the GPA to prove it.

Sweet. Thanks for the recommendations: the Central PA guide, in particular, will be very useful. I'm heading to Carlisle tomorrow, and will probably try Faye's for breakfast Friday. Hmm... maybe I'll start a Carlisle thread, just for my own amusement.

Chris, Mapquest says that York is about an hour from Carlisle; probably a little less from Harrisburg. Might as well post any suggestions, just in case I make a pilgrimage to the home of the Rock.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

The 'Burg itself is really known for one thing and one thing only: the cheeseburger sub.

A cheeseburger is split and loaded into a long "Italian" roll and then decorated in "California" fashion, with lettuce, tomato, and heart-stopping gobs of mayonnaise. French fries are typically piled up next to it.

Back in the pre-Clinton days the 'Burg was a swingin' town, with insanely good dangerous dining both on the Hill (great Puerto Rican joints) and up North 6th Street for ribs, broasted chicken, and a Halal joint for chicken wings. Unfortunately, it's all gone now.

Three links which might prove helpful:

http://www.modeweekly.com/1998/0798/CheapLunch0798.htm

http://www.northsecondstreet.com/spotmenu.html

http://www.visithhc.com/mem-dine.shtml

Don't laugh at the link to "The Spot." It's been ten years plus since I worked in the 'Burg but the cheeseburger subs and Spot-dogs are still etched in my mind.

Actually Harrisburg is still swinging. Just visit Second Street any night of the week.

Mr. Blister, are you a fellow Dickinson grad? I graduated from there in 1992. There's a lot of good places to eat in town, as I'm sure Andrew will discover.

For not cheap, but very good dining in a beautiful room try Parev's in downtown Harrisburg. They also have an excellent wine list which is fairly priced. They are a private club for all the movers and shakers at lunchtime. They transform into an excellent restaurant open to the public in the evening.

Just across the river, Tavern on the Hill never disappoints. Excellent beef, lamb, fish and shellfish done in a New York steakhouse manner. Atmosphere is okay, but not comparable to Parev's. The food and service are excellent. They also have an excellent winelist which in my opinion is somewhat overpriced. The sommelier can be entertaining. He also can be a pretentious oaf.

Porkpa

http://www.harrisburg.com/restaurant_reviews.php?key=2

(The paper indicates that it's in Duncannon, but I thought that it was in Clark's Ferry)

Red Rabbit Drive-In

Route 322

Duncannon , PA 17020

717-834-4696

Two words: Bunny Burger. While you're at it, throw in a side of fries and a thick chocolate milkshake.

The Red Rabbit has been a Perry County institution that rolls campy drive-in atmosphere, memorable fast food and great people watching all into one trip.

Open only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, you might want to anticipate a bit of a wait. Red Rabbit offers a take-out and call ahead service so you can drive up and drive off, but I highly recommend parking and eating. Your order comes to you in the typical drive-in fashion: on a tray that attaches to your window and piled high with goodness.

Non-food idea:

Rickett's Glen

My favorite restaurant in downtown Harrisburg in Mangia Qui, a good 'regional Italian' place on North St. across from the capitol. The menu and the wine list change frequently, and there's always something interesting to have. They also do tapas and Spanish wines on Wednesday nights, which is fun.

If you're looking for something more casual, the Vietnamese joint on 3rd and Reilly is great and cheap, or check out the taco stand on 15th and Market.

I would definitely also familiarize myself with some of the local orchards, Mowery's in northern York county is my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for asking, OrmIrian. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've basically not eaten out at all in Carlisle: combination of being out there by myself and only during the week, and being too busy to eat much besides reheated leftovers from the weekend... Once I can get my wife out there with me, I'll probably eat out more. And I've gotta go to the Camp Hill farmers market before it's too late in the year.

Had a burger at the Hamilton, which was okay. But it looks as if I ordered the wrong thing: the dogs are clearly the way to go, especially (as Mr. Blister recommended) the Hotchee (sp?)- pimped up with chili, onions, cheese, etc. I've also eaten a lot of the frozen custard at Massey's, which was pretty damn good.

I'm breaking the dry spell tomorrow night with dinner at Empire, which I've heard is quite good. Will report afterwards...

• 2 weeks later...

All rightie, now. I finally got to spend a weekend sampling some of the many and varied culinary delights of Carlisle.

First, Empire. This is a really good restaurant: not as in, "really good for Carlisle", but really good, period. Lovely sophisticated decor, interesting food, good service. They also have a very talented bartender and a solid wine list, and I was in the mood to celebrate, and wasn't paying... so I had a fine ol' time, you betcha. Highlights included the gazpacho, with cumin-scented shrimp and a wee little scoop of tomato sorbet (brightened up with orange juice) and the rack of lamb with artichoke-preserved lemon slaw. Nice cheese selection, too. It's also a pretty expensive restaurant (around $25 for entrees), so get somebody else to take you to dinner.

Lunch at Salamandro. Little pizzas (too much cheese for my taste) and okay salads.

Brunch at Fay's Country Kitchen, which is everything you could ask for, breakfast-wise, including a really superb pumpkin pancake. And scrapple!

My mother (a Dickinson alumna) sings the praises of Rillo's in Carlisle... and I'd trust her taste.

And I realize that I flaked on my familial York favorite that I promised months ago... which is the Blue Moon Cafe.

No more data than that, as I've never gone food hunting out thataway.

Best

cdh

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch