• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Introduction of Macallan Fine Oak

beans

NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 08/11/2004 -- The Macallan Single Malt Scotch Whisky, considered the world's most precious whisky, is taking another step forward in its pursuit of single malt perfection. Breaking with 180 years of tradition, The Macallan adds American bourbon casks into the equation to produce The Macallan Fine Oak range of smooth, delicate single malts.

The secret of The Macallan Fine Oak (10, 15 and 21 Years Old), which debuts in the U.S. this September, lies in its maturation in carefully selected European and American oak casks, which have previously held sherry or bourbon. The result of this unique cask combination is a lighter style of single malt from The Macallan.

Full Marketwire article can be viewed here.

Cheers!

i've a bottle of this sitting on my desk this very moment. we've been judiciously sampling it.

it's interesting. will definitely not be for the typical Macallan drinker, unless said drinker also likes his or her Scotch in a much lighter, fruitier format. lighter whiskey drinkers are likely to be pleased.

the retail price seems a tad steep, but it's not completely outside the parameters of the Macallan brand.

will report more on this later this week, in an official capacity.

i've a bottle of this sitting on my desk this very moment. we've been judiciously sampling it.

it's interesting. will definitely not be for the typical Macallan drinker, unless said drinker also likes his or her Scotch in a much lighter, fruitier format. lighter whiskey drinkers are likely to be pleased.

the retail price seems a tad steep, but it's not completely outside the parameters of the Macallan brand.

will report more on this later this week, in an official capacity.

Oooh. I'm jealous. I'd love a sample bottle meself. :cool:

Oooh. I'm jealous. I'd love a sample bottle meself. :cool:

i'd wager they'll soon be doing a tour, in person or virtually, to sell the taste to barfolk, &c.

as i said to someone this morning, i'm betting they're targeting the same market as Belvedere, &c., which will require a good education campaign to point-of-sale, distributors, and so on.

Don't believe all the hype when the marketing tour comes your way.

The Scotch Whisky industry is using less and less Spanish oak as a result of rising prices for ex Sherry casks. So, far from being worthy of a higher price point than the original brand, it is probably cheaper to produce.

I would be sceptical as to McCallan's motives behind bringing out a Bourbon cask line.

Anyone seriously into Malt should check out www.smws.co.uk the Scottish Malt Whisky Society. Serious single cask malts produced by people who care more about what is in the bottle than on the label!!!

Cheers

Vist Barbore to see the Scottish scene.