• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Night Dining in NJ

Rosie

There are plenty of diners that are not 24 hours, and I think diners are welcome on a resource list of late night dining spots. For example, this post (quoted below) specifically questions which diners are open late/24 hours, as they found a few that are not. Besides, we have unlimited space here to let each other know about these things, so there is no reason to not include diners.

Husband was working late tonight with a friend from our home in West Orange, and wanted to go out to eat when they were finished, which was after 11:30 pm. Other than bars, which we don't frequent, are there any places I could have sent them locally - says within a 15 minute drive? They tried Eagle Rock Diner - CLOSED for the night. Husband called on cell phone looking for alternatives - I suggested Millburn Diner. Then called them back a few minutes later to offer the Huck Finn in Springfield (as a remembrance of our days when we lived in Springfield) or the Ritz or Livingston diners as options if Millburn was closed. Upon his arrival home at 2 am, he told me Millburn Diner was closed for the night as well, so they ended up at Huck Finn in Springfield.

1) Are the Ritz Diner and Livingston diners open 24 hours?

2) Other sit-down, relatively full-service menu eateries in the West Orange area open 24 hours or very late every day? We are more familiar with general locations in towns between Rt 22 & Rt 10 (i.e. Springfield, , Millburn, Maplewood, South Orange, Livingston, West Orange) than we are with anything north of Route 10 (i.e. Verona, Montclair, Cedar grove, etc) or south of rt 22.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I find myself eating breakfast at "Louie's Charcoal Pit" on Ceder Lane in Teaneck at all hours they also have some very interesting Greek dessert wines behind the bar.

How late is Louie's open?

Let's try to find out the hours of our recommendations on this thread, since the goal is to have some choices in late night dining. I'd hate to go there at 2 in the morning and find out it closed at midnight! :wink:

There are plenty of diners that are not 24 hours, and I think diners are welcome on a resource list of late night dining spots. For example, this post (quoted below) specifically questions which diners are open late/24 hours, as they found a few that are not. Besides, we have unlimited space here to let each other know about these things, so there is no reason to not include diners.

I'm probably in the minority opinion (what else is new? :wacko:) that if you're not open 24 hours, you're not a diner.

If you're not open 24 hours, you are a diner themed restaurant.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I find myself eating breakfast at "Louie's Charcoal Pit" on Ceder Lane in Teaneck at all hours they also have some very interesting Greek dessert wines behind the bar.

How late is Louie's open?

Let's try to find out the hours of our recommendations on this thread, since the goal is to have some choices in late night dining. I'd hate to go there at 2 in the morning and find out it closed at midnight! :wink:

24 hours

Thanks, that's good to know. I did a search and there's been very little about Louie's Charcoal Pit on eGForums. I've never been, what do you recommend there?

Honestly, Louie's is just a diner in an in-line store format. Very ordinary. Stick to eggs and burgers. Menu is pro forma diner.

Since we've moved up here I've awakened kiddle a few times for midnight adventures, or she's awakened me. We went to the ocean a few times and could only find Dunkin' Donuts and Wawa. We tried a few diners on Rt.9 from Manalapan down to Howell, nothing great. Now, we drive into the city, park wherever, and walk. We eat wherever, but I did take her to a great bakery near my old hangout, Alphabet City, Good Old VD!, and we found some good pizza and noodle houses. Plus, it's so much easier to get around NYC at the midnight hour! We've often found free parking!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I was actually looking for a place that's not a diner. I've resorted to TGI Friday's and Cheesecake Factory because they open till 1AM. I'm well aware of diners being open 24hrs. But I can only eat so many burgers or ruebens.

For a bigger challenge- weekdays. :biggrin:

Check the website but I think the bar at Stage Left is open late on weekends and the antipasto bar at Catherine Lombardi (both in New Brunswick) is open until 1 AM Tuesday through Saturday nights; bar till 2 AM.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Anyone know of any places in monmouth county where you can eat late? This area really stinks when it comes to late night food. :(

I agree. None stay open late except maybe for diners. I believe during the summer many restaurants will stay open later especially during weekends.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I believe I may have mentioned it pretty far upstream, but The Jefferson is definitely open later than most restaurants, and I think their food is terrific. They also validate your parking at the big lot 1/2 a block away, so you have no excuse for not wanting to go to Hoboken! :smile:

According to the web site, their hours are:

Monday-Thursday 5:00pm-1:00am

Friday 5:00pm-2:00am

Saturday 11:00am-2:00am

Sunday 10:00am-1:00am

Thread on The Jeff is here...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Anyone know of any places in monmouth county where you can eat late? This area really stinks when it comes to late night food. :(

I agree. None stay open late except maybe for diners. I believe during the summer many restaurants will stay open later especially during weekends.

I guess you didn't notice my post a bit upthread about Pete & Elda's? Last I heard, Neptune is in Monmouth Country.