• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late Night Dining in NJ

Rosie

I'm certain you'd find a few spots in the Ironbound open that late...and fwiw, I also bet that if you asked a few of your chef/owner friends, THEY could tell you! They must all hang out after they close...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I believe that Gammiok (Main St., Fort Lee) is open 24 hrs. I went there once a few years ago. It is an unusual Japanese place with a very limited menu - probably some kind of Japanese fast-food place that belongs to some tradition I'm not familiar with.

Edited by pbrodsky (log)

The Gammiok in Ft Lee at the intersection of Main and John St? Where the Italian restaurant Alfredo's used to be? That's not Japanese, it's Korean. Very traditional Korean too. Pretty good, but the spicy dish I had burned a hole in my stomach. I had to stop eating because I was getting ill. :shock: I guess if you can handle spice (I'm only so-so) you'll be fine. My body continued to complain the next day as the pain moved down into my intestines. :blink: After that experience, I never went back. :raz:

I'd agree with your assessment of authenticity. I saw only Koreans there and it was bustling! My dining companion who's 1/2 korean even told me the style of the food is on the traditional side. For example, the kim chee is extra pungent and not really crunchy. If anyone is interested, they have a branch somewhere in NYC.

But speaking of Korean food, someone told me that there is a Korean restaurant in Ft Lee also 24 hours. I forget the name of it, but it looks like a traditional wood asian building that sits high up. It's by the Sally Ling's/Fleet Bank area off Main St. I think they even have a garden. A few months ago, I went to try it out but they looked closed for renovation. I don't know the status of it now.

Happy late night noshing!

Edited by Rosie (log)

There are a lot of Korean places open 24 hours in Fort Lee and the surrounding towns like Palisades Park. As for the spiciness of the food, it is possible to order non-spicy dishes, so that shouldn't prevent you from returning to a restaurant that you enjoyed otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...
The Gammiok in Ft Lee at the intersection of Main and John St? Where the Italian restaurant Alfredo's used to be? That's not Japanese, it's Korean. Very traditional Korean too. Pretty good, but the spicy dish I had burned a hole in my stomach. I had to stop eating because I was getting ill.  :shock: I guess if you can handle spice (I'm only so-so) you'll be fine. My body continued to complain the next day as the pain moved down into my intestines.  :blink: After that experience, I never went back.  :raz:

The specialties at Gammiok are oxtail soup (suhlungtang) and bean pancake (pindaedduk), which is a large pancake made of mung beans, bean sprouts, vegetables, chili, and garlic. There are also seafood and meat varieties. One order will feed 2-3 people since each person should order one oxtail soup.

The oxtail soup is a white soup which is boiled for many hours (over 12?) and the large bowl comes to your table filled with the broth, white rice, noodles, and thinly sliced beef. The salt, pepper, and scallions on the table are added by each diner to their own taste.

Korean people have always viewed this soup as a curative, especially for hangovers. There is a 'hangover' alley in LA which has many storefronts with varieties on the oxtail soup.

I hope you all go back and try this. I have eaten at the 32nd street location in NY countless times for almost 8 years and I don't think i have EVER tried anything else. It's not that I'm not adventurous, but this is their specialty and 99% of Korean people will be going just for this. If I want other types of Korean food, then I would go someplace else.

PS. the kimchee here is famous. people order it, even in LA, and it gets shipped to them. but it is definitely 'country-style'. also, dont expect many small side dishes (banchan) which you will get in other korean restaurants. here its all about the oxtail soup.

The question was for a friend of mine. I don't know where they went.

Please try to get us some info-- I think this is a topic of interest to many of us. Thanks!!

(Or better yet, have your friend post a report here!!)

Edited by menton1 (log)

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried Diva Lounge?

On the weekends they serve meals until 12:00 and apps until 1:00, weekdays, one hour less. The Martinis – very good; they have a hooka – nice touch; bar – very modish; and the back room could be a playroom from a Turkish Empire palace. The food here doesn’t seem to fit the atmosphere, but that could just be me. While the dining/lounge area is comfortable, it’s awkward to eat in.

There is a story about The Jefferson on Table Hopping With Rosie 11/17.

http://www.njmonthly.com/rosie/rosiemain.html

wow. sounds pretty interesting for hoboken.

judging by the address (1319 washington), i'm guessing it's where that other italian place used to be? about 1 storefront in from 14th? that place had been there for years, and i walked by it probably 2000 times (no exaggeration) and i never once went in. that's weird, but another topic altogether.

Correct re: location...it's just to the left of the fire house. The one with all the cute firemen...'tho I don't expect you to have noticed that, Tommy! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Correct re: location...it's just to the left of the fire house.  The one with all the cute firemen...'tho I don't expect you to have noticed that, Tommy!    :laugh:

i've certainly noticed those guys hanging out in the front and washing their trucks and whatnot. but seriously, aren't *all* firemen cute?

to the left, iirc, was a little bodega. too small for a restaurant. i'll have to investigate.

i've certainly noticed those guys hanging out in the front and washing their trucks and whatnot.  but seriously, aren't *all* firemen cute?

I tend to think so...nice to know I have company! :wink::wacko:

Correct re: location...it's just to the left of the fire house.  The one with all the cute firemen...'tho I don't expect you to have noticed that, Tommy!    :laugh:

i've certainly noticed those guys hanging out in the front and washing their trucks and whatnot. but seriously, aren't *all* firemen cute?

to the left, iirc, was a little bodega. too small for a restaurant. i'll have to investigate.

i stand, i think, corrected. directly to the left of the fire house was a nail place iirc. but i might not be rc.

i called. it is where anniello's was, or whatever that place was called. i'm going tonight. rosie and foie, this had better be good. :angry::biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 year later...

Host Note: I have merged a few "late night" threads, let's try to use this one as a resource for all restaurants, bars (that serve real food), and diners that have kitchens open past 10 PM, bonus points for after midnight or 24 hours!

Can anyone suggest a restaurant that is open past 10PM in the Northern NJ area? Doesn't have to have liquor license.

Weeknight or weekend? (Many more choices on Fri and Sat nights) And they usually WILL have liquor, that's why they are open at that hour...