• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Food Blogs

confusion

Some really nice pictures and descriptions of korean by a foreigner in Seoul. Access additional pages on the right column. My mouth is watering. Hopefully I'll be able to partake when I move to LA next week.

edit: Odd, I don't even see my own link. Here it is, thanks to eunny who also has it below.

blog

Edited by confusion (log)

OK, I have just frittered away 30 mins of my workday reading this fascinating blog. His little vignettes on street food are particularly cool. My only complaint is that he calls his stomach "Mr. Happy", but if I can look at pictures of gorgeous food when I'm broke, the Korean restaurants near me are awful, my parents are out of town, and I'm all out of kochujang, I can probably suffer through it.

I spent two years on and off in Korea - the food goes soooo far beyond the standard bulgogi and galbi. Stuffed chicken, pork, vegetables, sushi, mandoo, so many different types of gimchee, soup, soup and then more soup.... I didn't love it there, but I did love the food. This blog is a gem.

One time I was flying to Korea and we stopped in Anchorage to change crews. As we were landing, the flight attendants asked if anyone on the plane was a medical doctor. Needless to say, our departure was delayed - 30 min, 60 eventually 3 hrs. Finally, after re-boarding and taxiing away from the gate, the same attendant, in broken English, apologized for the long delay to their honored guests because of the very sick, dead passenger. She never said if he had the Western or Korean meal.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

• 1 year later...

I would like to know about more Korean food blogs. The ones I currently know of and read are:

ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal

Korean Cuisine by Ji-Young Park (also mentioned in the "korean food blog" thread)

koreancooking's Xanga site

Korea Life Blog - no longer updated but a great resource.

FatMan Seoul - also no longer updated, but a great resource as well.

Plate of the Day - Korean food posts sometimes appear here.

What other Korean food blogs are there? Blogs that post recipies or step by step instructions are best, but general discussions about Korean food are good too.

Please post any that you know about.

Edited by _john (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Korea Life Blog - no longer updated but a great resource.

:sad: Wow. I just started reading this blog on tuesday. Sadly it seems the author commited suicide a few days ago...

What made you say the above statement? :unsure:

Unfortunately it's true.

http://chinalife.typepad.com/ - read the comments

and here in the first post and comments.

http://luolingling.blogspot.com/

Whoah... sad for his family :sad: . I hope he is at peace and his family as well.

I just started reading Zen's blog (nice :smile: ) and didn't expect to find out such tragic news here on eGullet. I spent a short time in Seoul & Pusan a lifetime ago fulfilling my foolish military choice :wacko: .

• 2 weeks later...

FatManSeoul announced in his last post that the blog would be left up for a year. It's now been a couple months over and hopefully it'll be up a lot longer. This one is a real classic and it was the blog that most inspired me to blog when I went to Korea.

I didn't limit my subject matter, but a number of my pages are food-related (meals, pictures from markets, and rice cake, etc). Not wanting to blow my own horn (ummm... well, yes I do...) anyway you'll find it at http://middlekorea.livejournal.com

-phage-

Gac

FatManSeoul announced in his last post that the blog would be left up for a year.  It's now been a couple months over and hopefully it'll be up a lot longer.  This one is a real classic and it was the blog that most inspired me to blog when I went to Korea. 

FatMan was my inspiration too.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Time for a shameless plug.

I write about Korean food on my blog www.maryeats.com I cover all things I eat, so it isn’t limited edibles from the peninsula. On the site you can also read my restaurant reviews from the Korea Times.

Another site for restaurants in Korea www.seoulstyle.com and www.expatadvisory.com

She came, she saw. She ate, she blogged.

www.maryeats.com