• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Radish

worm@work

I just got some really fresh looking radish from the farmers market yday and cant wait to make s'thing yummy with them. I usually slice them and make a 'radish only' sambhar like my mom used to. I've never really made any sort of sabzi with radish and would love some ideas (with recipes would be even better :D).

I love to eat them raw too :O but then as my husband Dilip says, I'd eat any vegetable raw :O.

- worm@work

Hey w@w,

I usually prepare this recipe with Radish..

Mooli Ke Paranthe

The Filling for the Parantha:

2 big Radish (Mooli)

1.5 to 2 cups gram flour (Besan)

2 tsp Vegetable Oil

Cumin seeds, Salt, Red powdered pepper and Turmeric powder as per taste.

For the cover:

Make dough out of wheat flour as you would do for any parantha.

Method:

Grate the radishes.

Remove all the water from it by pressing it hard between your palms.

Take the oil in a vessel and heat it.

Add the cumin seeds and allow them splutter.

Add the grated radish and cook till it starts leaving the sides of the vessel.(Keep stirring so that it does not stick to he vessel)

Then add the salt, red powdered pepper and turmeric powder and roast it.

Finally add the gram flour and keep stirring till the besan (gram flour) is roasted. Your filling is ready.

Now whenever the paranthas are to be made, form small balls from the above mixture.

Roll the dough a bit, put a ball into it and fold it. Then again roll it into a parantha.

Put it on the pan and cook it as you do in the case of any parantha.

Serve hot with yogurt spiced with jeera powder,salt & red chilli powder..

The taste is delicious...Do try it out & lemme know the result..

Happy Cooking.

Cheers,

Laks :smile:

Slice thin, eat on dark pumpernickel bread with a shmear of salted butter. Cold shots of potato Vodka or aquavit.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

not very fond of radish in most cooked forms-mooli parathas only if really hot and fresh.love this salad made with the little red radishes sliced,salted and mixed with lime juice,walnuts and some segments of orange -i like pomelo.and as the author cautions'only in the afternoon.'heh!

Hi

I usually grate radishes and then squeeze out the juice (if the radish is too pungent or bitter). Then add some finely chopped green chillis, lemon juice and salt and serve as a salad.

Alternatively I also use the above as a topping for moong dal pakodis with lots of chutney....yummmmy!

Hi

I usually grate radishes and then squeeze out the juice (if the radish is too pungent or bitter). Then add some finely chopped green chillis, lemon juice and salt and serve as a salad.

Alternatively I also use the above as a topping for moong dal pakodis with lots of chutney....yummmmy!

Hi there Delhigirl - welcome to the India forum. So glad you are with us. Do tell us a bit about yourself.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Oh if you got the leaves attached to the raddish, ny grandma used to make this sabzi with them but inly if the are tender. i must warn you though, it smels kinda funky. I cant find the recipe right now, but I'll try to get it. Alterntive names are mooli saag, mooli bhujia/bhujiya, mooli bhurji.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh if you got the leaves attached to the raddish, ny grandma used to make this sabzi with them but inly if the are tender. i must warn you though, it smels kinda funky. I cant find the recipe right now, but I'll try to get it. Alterntive names are mooli saag, mooli bhujia/bhujiya, mooli bhurji.

Were you able to find this recipe? :unsure:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I asked my mom and she says all I need to do is splutter a few jeera (cumin) seeds and a small pinch of hing in hot oil and add the chopped radish (leaves et al). Then add some salt, chilli powder and sugar and stir. She especially warned me not to lose the crunchiness of the vegetable. I haven't had a chance to try this yet since I never find radish with the leaves in my side of town :(.

-worm@work

I asked my mom and she says all I need to do is splutter a few jeera (cumin) seeds and a small pinch of hing in hot oil and add the chopped radish (leaves et al). Then add some salt, chilli powder and sugar and stir. She especially warned me not to lose the crunchiness of the vegetable. I haven't had a chance to try this yet since I never find radish with the leaves in my side of town :(.

-worm@work

crunchiness is best for mooli.

nice to see your mom adds sugar too.

We grew up adding little sugar to some things mom made. Not to make dish sweet, but as mom says to balance the flavoring.

We ate mooli ki bhujiya, mooli parathas, mooli ka raitaa, mooli pachadi, mooli waala sambhaar, mooli aur lassan ka soup. And of course raw mooli as salad. I remember my dadi would serve it in glasses that had mooli, think and fresh from garden and filled with chilled water in winter.