• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nahm

andy is right, too many sweet dishes can unbalance the meal, but the staff should help you out in that respect.

They did try - we went for all the dishes we really liked the sound of and our waitress told us we'd stumbled on a lot of sweet ones.

Do they still do the tasting menu? We found that was very well balanced.

• 1 month later...

Ate here a couple of weeks ago and the staff are very accomodating, not blinking when we stuck with beer through our meal, steering us away from too many hot dishes, being very apologetic about the crappy table we were given and moving us as soon as a better one came available. Unfortuantely the restaurant still looks like the breakfast room at a cheap chain hotel.

I forget everything we ate now and while everything was very well cooked nothing really blew me away aside from a beautiful smoked crispy fish soup that had beautiful balance. The rest of the meal was very good as well but too much eating in Thailand left me a little miffed at £170 for two of us including 4 beers and two glasses of Champagne. :hmmm:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 1 year later...

Ate here on Saturday evening amazingly for the first time. In general I loved it, possibly mainly because I'm in a Reisling phase of my life and there must be fifty or so of these aromatic beauties to choose from on the wine list.

None of the specialties mentioned in the 2009 Mich guide were on the menu so I settled for the chef's set dinner (£55). They were at pains to check any allergies and likes/dislikes. I'm a pretty open minded guy, so I let the chef get on with it.

Amuse bouche was stunning. Very simple, a coupkle of small pieces of fruit with what I can only describe as a spicy satay-like conconction on top. Just divine.

Mains included a spicy fish soup, a beef dish, some gorgeous salmon based thing and a rather hot green curry, with lots of chillis.

If anything some of the food was a bit over spicy for me, but I was asked if I had any aversion to spicy things, and I did suggest chef shouldn't hold back, which he certainly didn't.

I took a simple, but very refreshing fruit plate for dessert.

Only down side was the 2 hour table turning that they definitely stuck to, although had service been ever so slightly more prompt it wouldn't have been such a rush at the end.

Oh, about the wine. I chose a rather unusual Dr Loosen Ste Michelle Eroica from Washington State (£60). Slightly off-dry, minerally on the nose but strangely not on the palette. Turned out to be a pretty darned good match all round.

One thing I like about Thai is that if you're a wine nut you can get away with one wine for the whole meal, thus resulting in a rather more reasonable bill at the end tham one might expect. By the time you've added water and a glass of poo at the front end, including service the total was £140.

Cheers, Howard