• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Haven, CT grocers,butchers, etc.

Scargo

I have been in the New Haven area for two years now and I've had difficulty uncovering many "gems" in the way of specialty grocers, butchers or fishmongers.

I guess I am not trying hard enough..... Can anyone help? I don't mind going a little out of the way. I actually live in Hamden and spend a lot of time in New Haven.

Is there a better Asian grocer/fishmonger than the one at Whitney and Edwards?

Other, or better specialty stores like Edge of the Woods?

Farmer's Markets?

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I am hoping others will have more, better, suggestions, but here are the places I go most often:

#1 Fish Market on State St, Hamden (North of DMV, South of Sackett Pt). This place is a gem; supplies many local restaurants.

Connecticut Natural Food & Produce on Washington Ave, No Haven (Wharton Brook area, almost to Wallingford). Not fancy, but good prices, quite consistent quality, frequently local produce in season. I have to keep going there because the green beans are so much better than the supermarket, season after season.

Liuzzi Cheese on State St, No Haven (North of Sackett Pt, South of Dixwell). Impressive deli counter, but if you go before a major holiday you will have to wait while serious Italian-American grandmother types ahead of you work through their 25-item lists; very limited but very good butcher counter; one of the better cheese selections in the area, including their own fresh cheeses, as well as various imports--don't miss their ricotta and also the fresh butter; good sandwiches and wide variety of store-prepared foods; small but good section of pastas, oils, condiments, etc., store-label olive oil is a good value.

US 1 Farm Market at corner of Rte 1 and the Boulevard, New Haven. Appears slanted toward (I think) the Jamaican, Latino and (less) Asian markets. Bargain-priced produce, some fish (mostly whole), a little meat (emphasis on oxtails and goat meat) and ethnic specialty items.

Ferraro Foods on Grand Ave, New Haven (just East of I-91 overpass, West of Hamilton; inexplicably impossible to find in phone book). Iffy-looking overall, but decent meat section with impressive values on items like short ribs. A friend whose brother works there claims they are planning to modernize and expand, which appears long-overdue.

Country Food Market on State St, Hamden (next-door to #1 Fish). Greek imports and basic deli/sandwich counter. Get in the mood for the Olympics!

Bud's Fish Market on Rte 146, Branford (around the corner from Lenny's). Very good, but #1 is closer. However, Bud's will steam lobsters to order.

Trader Joe's on Rte 1, Orange. I go there for Grade B maple syrup, if nothing else, and usually plenty of impulse-buys.

The Food Terminal at Long Wharf. Someone at the Ferraro meat counter sent me to a vendor there when I was scouring the county for loin of lamb. Mostly wholesale, but some will sell retail and it's a way different experience than Stop & Shop!

Hindinger Farm on Dunbar Hill Rd, Hamden. Their own corn and peaches in season, some other local/regional produce and a few goats to amuse the kids.

Bishop's Orchards on Rte 1, Guilford. Generally needs no introduction; their own produce, etc.; best is pick-your-own.

DeRoses on Orange St, New Haven. Was a good source for a different selection of cheeses, things in jars and "select" produce, but currently closed and many conflicting rumors about their status. Does anyone have the scoop on this? Nica's (formerly Prime) has taken up the slack (or maybe driven DeRoses out of business?) and Romeo & Caesar's (formerly Romeo & Joe's) remains an achor of Orange St marketing.

Is anyone familiar with the halal butcher in West Haven? I have been meaning to check it out.

Well, that's a quick list to get started. :smile:

Fern

Great list. Sort-of out of New Haven, but in Middletown, there's Middlesex Fruitery which has extremely high quality fruits and vegetables. A little pricey, but they don't let you touch anything, they pick everything for you.

I'll check with a friend of mind who is muslim and may know about the halal butcher. I know she gets most of her meat in the Hartford/West Hartford area.

Super list! So nice to read though I haven't lived anywhere near NH in years and years. Thank you for reminding me about the Liuzzi cheese co., what a great place. I'll forward the list to my remaining relations there. . .

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update: DeRose's has been out of business for a while. The grocery store "Ferraro's" did nothing for me, or more to the point, I did not see anything there that I could not get elsewhere, and, located in a better neighborhood.

I have found that the Shaw's on Whalley Ave. (just as it changes from Broadway) has a pretty decent produce area and has peppers that can be sometimes hard to find at other places. The last time I was in my local Stop & Shop they had only a handfull of withered jalapenos and other peppers! Nothing worth buying..... on the other hand I buy their tuna and swordfish steaks, still frozen.

As for wine... I like The Wine Thief on Whitney for great bargains on wines and they are very helpful and knowlegable.

I got a fresh chicken (which turned out to be tender and delicious) coffee beans and nice produce at Nica's on Orange. A small but nicely stocked deli and semi-specialty grocery store.

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, DeRoses has just reopened! 

And the Wine Thief is always a pleasure.

Fern

I have now been to DeRoses several times and think it has some good offerings worth checking out:

good selection of olive oil

excellent, fresh bread (I understand one local source provides all the good bread in these smaller stores-anyone have the name?)

fresh vegetables

fresh pasta and ravioli

nice selection of cheeses and the best olive selection I have seen yet.

I don't know what the old DeRoses was like but it is an interesting store with cooked entrees in the back. They had a great pear selection recently.

BTW, I am still in need of a good butcher--something a step above Stop n Shop. I am in Hamden.....but I frequently go into New Haven and the surrounding areas.

I saw an Italian Import store on Grand Ave., in Hew Haven (I think about the 600 block). Can't remember the name.... Any good? Is there one good store that is heavy on Italian ingredients? Back in Dallas, I could go to an "Italian only" store and get lots of cool things and around the corner was "Raviolissimo", where they made custom raviolli and sausages for the restaurant trade but also sold to walk-ins. Anything like that? Are we talking "Liuzzi Cheese"? I have yet to go there....

• 3 weeks later...
[bTW, I am still in need of a good butcher--something a step above Stop n Shop.  I am in Hamden.....but I frequently go into New Haven and the surrounding areas.

I saw an Italian Import store on Grand Ave., in Hew Haven (I think about the 600 block). Can't remember the name.... Any good? Is there one good store that is heavy on Italian ingredients? Back in Dallas, I could go to an "Italian only" store and get lots of cool things and around the corner was "Raviolissimo", where they made custom raviolli and sausages for the restaurant trade but also sold to walk-ins.  Anything like that? Are we talking "Liuzzi Cheese"? I have yet to go there....

Scargo,

Please do check out Liuzzi; it is your all-purpose Italian source. Besides various cool things, they do have a butcher counter. The selection is quite limited, but what they have is good. I am still hoping someone will announce an all-around butcher that I have overlooked, but it's probably not going to happen. Whitneyville Food Center, on Whitney just North of Putnam, also has a pretty good counter in the back, a bit broader in the basics than Liuzzi.

Good eating, Fern

• 1 year later...

DeRoses closed a few months back after being open briefly.

I now go to Mt. Carmel Wine and Spirits for most of my wine and liquor purchases, though I will go to the Wine Thief if am bored or need a quick fix.

I recently had several fish dishes with my Japanese friends, where the fish came from Bud's in Branford. It was all excellent and fresh and I expect these Japanes know their fresh fish....!

• 2 months later...

Just saw that Ferraro Foods is having a grand re-opening after modernizing their store. I guess this happened a little while back but now they are announcing it for publicity.

Would like to know if this is the best meat market in town or Liuzzi's or??

Just saw that Ferraro Foods is having a grand re-opening after modernizing their store. I guess this happened a little while back but now they are announcing it for publicity.

Would like to know if this is the best meat market in town or Liuzzi's or??

I'm not saying I'm satisfied, or have answered my own question but,

On the 25th, I purchased an exceptionally good steak at Liuzzi Cheese on State Street in North Haven, CT (between Sackett Pt. and Dixwell Ave.). I did pay $12 plus a pound for it. Dry aged? I didn't ask. Not that I have made a major project out of finding the best beef in the New Haven area, but this was the best I have eaten in three years, whether from a grocer or, any restaurant. It was yummy; grilled over mesquite.

BTW, Liuzzi does have great cheeses but I did not care for their "NY" cheesecake, which was an almost pudding-like variety, where all I could taste was sweetened, condensed milk. Sorry for my ignorance, but is NY style supposed to taste like that? I've eaten and made a lot of cheesecake, but never anything like that. Looking at recipes for "classic" NY style, most of them look like what I make, which turns out heavier and is made with eggs and no condensed milk!

• 3 weeks later...

Scargo, my family who lives on the shoreline get their meats from Forte's in Guilford. Never been inside but I've enjoyed their product when cooked for me. Not exactly close to Hamden but if you're down that way, you might give it a try.

• 2 years later...

I'm back to this again. I've moved to the vicinity of Seymour, CT and am trying to find any nearby ethnic markets. Particularly Asian and Spanish (or Mexican). I don't mind driving a few miles but I try to avoid going across town (into and through New Haven) to the Fair Haven area, if I can help it.

Places off 8 or The Merritt would be great.

I have my Google Map (user created content) I am willing to share. It has all my favorite restaurants, too. Scargod's Good Chow: New Haven, CT (Google Map)

You don't need to limit your suggestions to just Asian or Mexican. I am interested in butchers, fishmongers, bakeries and unusual wine/liquor stores (similar to The Wine Thief or Odd Bins (both in New Haven, proper).

I can't help with your search, but wanted to thank you for sharing your foodie map. I live in Mystic and travel to New Haven about 3 times a week right now for medical care, so I'm glad to have some new places to check out on my way back.

No prob! Glad I could help. I hope they work out for you. My "New Haven area" map is rapidly expanding.

If you get the chance, and want to provide feedback, I will be curious of what you think of them. Some places I have only been to once or twice, though I usually do internet research before and after I go to a place.