• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] The Burger Topic

Scott -- DFW

After hearing many glowing reports, I recently went to the Dairy-ette for the first time.

i11052.jpg

The decor is, well, '50s burger shack. No frills. The booths look and *feel* like they've been there since the beginning. Not much on the walls except for the Coca-Cola sponsored, interior illuminated, moveable type menu board. Waitresses were very friendly.

i11051.jpg

We started with a chocolate shake and malt. Both were above average--very thick, creamy (and, on the malt, heavily malted), and generously portioned for the price. She had a cheeseburger with everything on it. I had the chili cheeseburger and fries. We both agreed the burgers were quite good. Best in town? Tastes and preferences in burgers vary so wildly (thick v. thin, flame-broiled v. fried, etc.) that judgments like that are hard to make. I prefer the double chili cheeseburger at Cactus Jack's on Lemmon (where I can also get "tater twisters"--a spiral-mandolined potato, alchemically transformed into a concertina of starch, salt, and grease). But I think the Dairy-ette's offering is in the same ballpark.

With good burgers and shakes, reasonable prices, amiable waitresses, and a small-town Texas feel, the Dairy-ette is a reasonable nominee for "best burger joint" in Dallas. Check it out, if you're ever stranded in East Dallas.

Dairy-Ette

9785 Ferguson Rd.

Dallas, TX 75228

(214) 327-9983

Scott

PS There's a fantastic burger variation that I've only encountered in a chain of Pakistani-operated restaurants in Utah...the pastrami burger--1/4 lb. of flame-broiled beef, 1/4 lb. of sauteed pastrami, with provolone. If anyone knows where something like that might be available in Dallas, I'd love to hear about it.

My two favorites in Dallas are Snuffer's on Greenville and Uptown on Fairmount.

My wife prefers Snuffer's and I prefer Uptown. On our birthdays we get to choose

any restaurant in the area to go to and last year she chose Snuffer's!

Looking forward to other burger suggestions.

My personal favorite is Balls Snyder Plaza. Head and antlers above the rest for the burgers all though their shakes are pretty run of the mil.

Closely followed by Snuffers. Head an antlers for their cheese fries and Queso, pretty good burger.

Closely followed by Scotty P's Hamburgers. Good mix of very good burger and cheese fries :cool:

Never trust a skinny chef

Keller's Drive-In at NW Hwy and Abrams. Car hop service, covered parking, great burger and they serve BEER with it! An old timey classic joint. If they're still open, there also used to be twp others, one on the North side of I30 @ Samuel and one on Harry Hines just south of NW Hwy.

In the summer there is a steady stream of cars pulling through to get their cases of beer, delivered by the car-hops.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Saltgrass Steakhouse has THE best burgers. They don't have chili and all that but for your basic hamburger/cheeseburger you will be very happy.

I am also a fan of Scotty P's burgers. And you must try the onion rings. They have the perfect amount of breading and you can actually see the salt crystals.

Saltgrass Steakhouse has THE best burgers. They don't have chili and all that but for your basic hamburger/cheeseburger you will be very happy.

I am also a fan of Scotty P's burgers. And you must try the onion rings. They have the perfect amount of breading and you can actually see the salt crystals.

Yep I would agree on Scotty P's onion rings. Of course the best thing is that they are just around the corner from my house :laugh:

I hear, but as of yet have not been able to eat, that Adairs Saloon in Dallas has a great burger.

The have truly great burgers. They have just the right greasy dive factor :laugh:

It's very interested going there after work. The mix of bikers and suits is truly a thing to see.

• 5 months later...
Some of my favorites have been Ball's and Keller's in the past. Anything new on the burger scene? Dallas? Fort Worth? Grapevine? Plano? Arlington? Coppel? Denton?

Yep Balls has always been up there for me. I will tell you that Scotty P's in Plano, Frisco, Southlake is very close. Close enough that I rarely drive to Snyder plaza anymore.

Now new on the DFW Burger market is Cheeburger Cheeburger. It's a chain out of Florida. Dallas located on Inwood & Lovers.

IMHO, the best burgers in Texas are at:

Juicy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers & Wings Inc

2103 North Town East Boulevard, Mesquite, TX 75150

Tel: (972) 613-7001

I visit the original Juicy's in Longview TX at least once per month. Their Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich is also awesome.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com