• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Gelato...

bestgirlkk

Hi,

last weekend we went to philly and went to the most amazing gelato place... I had lemon and purple basil gelato (amazing, superb)

I was hoping there was a really good place in NJ so i dont have to drive 1.5 hrs both ways to satisfy my craving...

Any ideas?

Kristen

If you are anywhere near Princeton go straight to the Bent Spoon. It doesn't get any better.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

let me guess: you were at capogiro, right? :smile:

umm, well, if you're in northern NJ, geloti on union blvd. in totowa makes good gelato, although the flavors are not as exotic as what you had in philly. they also have a store on bloomfield ave in one of the caldwells (north, i think), although i've never been there so i don't know if they serve gelato, although i imagine they do.

The Ciaobella store in the Menlo Park mall closed a few weeks ago, only days after I found it and made it a regular stop. Little settles your stomach after a lunch time session at White Rose System like a little gelato.

Apparently they have relocated to New Brunswick.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Wow--didn't even know there was a Ciao Bella store!! And I didn't know they made real-deal gelato, either--thought it was just sorbet. Good to know!

Fwiw, you can buy their stuff in the supermarket; it's an NJ-based company--Irvington, iirc. The first time I went to the Fancy Food Show, my favorite taste of the day (and I can't begin to tell you how many there were) was from CB--Grapefruit Campari sorbet! HEAVEN on a spoon. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You can buy it at Whole Foods. The hazelnut is our favorite. Fascino also serves Ciao Bella gelato...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

And if you'd like to drool... http://www.ciaobellagelato.com

:biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

The Bertolotti company in NJ, which used to have a gelateria in Cliffside Park for many years, makes superb gelato. However, they primarily supply grocery stores and supermarkets and restaurants.

http://www.bertolottidesserts.com

I just spoke with the owner, here is a partial list of where you can find it:

In Fort Lee at Fairview Market under the Fairview private brand label

In Edgewater at Sweet Street dessert shop in their gelato case

In Holmdell in Delicious Orchards

at Francesco's on RT 71

Additionally they supply a lot of restaurants, I'll be getting a full list of that shortly.

John Camisa is the owner of the company, he can be reached at drgelato@aol.com

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If you are anywhere near Princeton go straight to the Bent Spoon. It doesn't get any better.

I was in Princeton today visiting my family and I stopped into the Bent Spoon for the first time for an after-lunch treat. FANTASTIC!!! I ended up having the chocolate gelato, but I tried their Heirloom Tomato Sorbet and bizarre but wonderful. Like the crispest, cleanest glass of tomato juice you have ever had.

Got to talk to the husband half of the couple who owns it...he seems like a really nice guy, which always makes the buying experience that much better.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

There's a great gelato place in Westfield, NJ on Quimby St. (Off Central).

Just like Italy!

However, nothing I've had beats Giolitti in Rome.

The fruit flavors, such as Grapefruit and Pear, tast better than the fruit they're

made from (if that's possible). :rolleyes:

umm, well, if you're in northern NJ, geloti on union blvd. in totowa makes good gelato, although the flavors are not as exotic as what you had in philly. they also have a store on bloomfield ave in one of the caldwells (north, i think), although i've never been there so i don't know if they serve gelato, although i imagine they do.

Went to the Bloomfield Ave. location after reading this thread. Had two scoops, one of tiramisu which I liked and canoli which I didn't. I was disappointed that they had no straight chocolate gelato just chocolate combinations with nuts (I'm allergic). I'd go again but skip that canoli, it had very little taste and the chocolate chips in it were awful.

The fruit flavors, such as Grapefruit and Pear, taste better than the fruit they're made from (if that's possible).  :rolleyes:

Why did you have to pick two of my FAVORITE flavors on the planet to torture me with?!? :wacko:

The fruit flavors, such as Grapefruit and Pear, taste better than the fruit they're made from (if that's possible).  :rolleyes:

Why did you have to pick two of my FAVORITE flavors on the planet to torture me with?!? :wacko:

How about melon (cantaloupe)? :raz:

Wish I could remember where I got that - Florence, Venice? - similarly intense.

Geloti has no plain chocolate? Pfui! That's a crime against nature.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Gelati's (Union Blvd, Totowa) for the first time today. Unimpressed to say the least. Its good (come on, it's ice cream!!) but I dont think its nearly as good as Ciao Bella...Tried the hazelnut and the Nutella...both were tasty, they just didnt have that gelato texture...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 11 months later...

I've had Fascino's from the Fairway in Fort Lee (based on the recommendations from this board), Gelati's in Totowa (my mother-in-law lives near there), and Ciao Bella in Tenafly (random).

None comes close to the gelato at Four Seasons on Market Street in Elmwood Park. Four Season's pistachio is every bit as good as the gelato I had in Palermo. And they even have brioche.

Geloti's in Caldwell has geloto that my wife and think is very good...for the US. Having been to southern Italy and eating geloto 2 times a day, it's tough to compare anything to it. We live near Geloti's and enjoy the Stracciatella (spelling) and the Chocolate Raspberry Truffle very much. It's better than any of the ice cream in the area, except for Maggie Moos.

i went to dolce crema in moorestown the other day. that was my second visit. they have a really vast collection of flavors of gelato and sorbetto. my first time there, i had marscapone (sp?) with dark chocolate, which was wonderful. for this weekend's visit, we needed pre-packed pints, so we got rum raisin (tasted just like a buttered rum lifesaver!) and banana, which any monkey would have been in monkey heaven with.

they're not quite as unusual as capogiro, but they do have a great selection and the workers and owners are really nice people.

in case you don't feel like opening the link, it's in the acme shopping center down marter avenue.

ciao!

lauren

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

This weekend my bro brought out a container of Spumoni Gelato from NY Ice on Rt 23 in Butler.  A nice blend of almond flavor, chocolate, nuts...WOW was it good.!!

Where is this place on 23? Is the name NY Ice? Google turns up nothing.....thanks.

This weekend my bro brought out a container of Spumoni Gelato from NY Ice on Rt 23 in Butler.  A nice blend of almond flavor, chocolate, nuts...WOW was it good.!!

Where is this place on 23? Is the name NY Ice? Google turns up nothing.....thanks.

Sorry...

I'm not really sure, as he had bought it before I arrived. Was just told NY Ice on Rt 23 in Butler. I'll see if I can find any more info.