• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Illegal for liquor stores to give free bottles?

Pan

In another thread, lcdm wrote the following:

I guess owning our own business (we own a wine/liquor shop) I know how little the margin can be, but I also know good business sense. We give 10% off a case of wine or a large order for a special occasion and sometimes give (as a gift but it’s not totally legal) a bottle of wine that we know a customer might like, but not try/buy

I'm guessing lcdm is in some U.S. state, though I don't know for sure. So it's illegal for a liquor store owner to give free bottles of wine where she is. I hope the rationale isn't that that action is similar to a coke or heroin dealer giving free samples to addict a customer. I assume lcdm is not giving out free bottles of Thunderbird. :raz::laugh:

What's the law on giving out free bottles where you live?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

State of oHIo does not permit even an ounce of wine, beer or liquor ever to be given away for free.

Even the tastings say at like Trader Joes they ask you to contribute some change for a dixie sized cup of a featured wine -- if it is even set up.

I guess that will teach me not to complain about NY's alcoholic beverages laws. In fact, as soon as they allow interstate shipments of wine into the state for delivery to retail customers, I'm definitely going to stop complaining. In the meantime, wine shops seem able to offer free wine tastings and bartenders have been known to comp a drink. I assume there's at least no portion control law and a bartender can reward a good customer in Ohio.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Delaware does not allow this either, in fact, you can't even legally be comped a drink at a bar. At any place that does wine tastings, they are forced to charge a nominal fee for the evening, or per glass.

I used to think DE has archaic alcohol laws, but after visiting NC and SC recently, where you can't even buy hard liquor outside of a state-sanctioned store, I realize that was don't have it that bad. I still lament that the TJs and the like can't sell wine or beer though.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

In DC, you cannot give away any alcoholic beverages, although it is really an argument in semantics for tax purposes.

For example, I cannot give a customer two glasses of champagne to celebrate their anniversary. However, I can buy them two glasses of champagne, with the restaurant actually being the "purchaser".

When the restaurant actually becomes, in this instance, the consumer, it is still liable for the tax on the sale.

And in the district, it is a healthy 10%.

It stil happens all over the place, but never here! :wink:

Pan, we are in NJ, it's also against the law to sell anything below cost, although my husband told me they are trying to pass a law to be able to permit tastings (I don't know all the provisions around this.. like how much, alcohol content, payment for sample).

Lisa

I'm pretty certain it is illegal in every state. But not that it hasn't been done (and not that I haven't been an accessory -- on the receiving end). But I'm not naming names.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I assume there's at least no portion control law and a bartender can reward a good customer in Ohio.

There is. Two servings are the max, per person. That comes to either a double for a mixed drink or a shot and a beer.

We're one of the stuffiest and draconian with liquor laws.

The evils of drink, right?

There is. Two servings are the max, per person. That comes to either a double for a mixed drink or a shot and a beer.

Guess that leads to a bit of bar hopping, eh?

I know at the local BevMo here (Calir) that for their Saturday 'tastings' they charge a quarter (though don't care if you fail to pay it). Apparently they can't have free tastings and hence the nominal charge.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

There is.  Two servings are the max, per person.  That comes to either a double for a mixed drink or a shot and a beer.

Guess that leads to a bit of bar hopping, eh?

That isn't a max per person for the entire period of time they are in your bar. That is what they are not to exceed for purchase for themselves at a time. That doesn't apply to when there is a group of four fellas and one is purchasing four beers. I just can't serve and sell a triple shot or a double shot and a beer to one person at a time.

In VA we are also prevented from getting a freebie for every (fill-in-the-blank) number of bottles we buy, but discounts on quantity are allowed. A certain purveyor of fine wines in the District had a policy of giving a freebie per every dozen bottles, but had to halt the practice due to DC regulations noted above.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode