• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pesto additives

Kim WB

almonds. because they are the way they are, they make for a really creamy pesto, no matter what herb you use. blanch or toast in a pan first.

i mean, i know it's heresy to some, but i make pesto with just about any nut/herb combo i have around. cilantro/almond is great on fish, with a little habanero maybe. arugula or watercress is also good.

someone already suggested it, but i'd like to reinforce: i did a half mint/half basil + feta/parm the other day. it was wonderful. much more fresh-tasting (i think i put some lemon in too...dont remember exactly). i had pinenuts on hand which i had toasted and was going to throw in but loved it so much as it was, i left them out.

I once made Purple-Pistachio-Parmesan pesto just for the sake of being alliterative and to use up a big bunch of Purple Opal basil I had.

It was very good :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hey Maggie,

Just FYI, COSTCO has a huge bag of pignoli they sell fairly cheaply (can't remember exactly how much). And if you keep it in the freezer, you can use them all up before they turn bad!

Yup, Costco. $9.99 for a 1-lb. bag, and they're perfectly fresh. I keep a bag in the freezer and toast up handfuls to throw into salads, pasta dishes...

RE: Pesto-in-a-tub: It's not quite a tub, but I've bought pre-made pesto in a jar at Costco. $6.99 or $8.99 for about a pint and a half. It's not as good as freshly made, but in the middle of winter when even a thought of basil would turn black from the cold, it's not at all bad.

Oh, and a cilantro-lime pesto (with walnuts) on grilled swordfish? Don't knock it till you've tried it.

• 3 months later...