• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late-night

eunny jang

Do we have a late-night food thread yet?

It's 10:50 on Sunday, we just got home, I'm starving, and my boyfriend absolutely refuses to get into a car and drive anywhere to eat (taking Bistro Francais out of the running).

ANY decent options for post-11pm food of any ilk in the city? Bistrot du Coin is the usual standby but steak tartare and fries sometimes isn't a good idea at midnight on a Sunday. And please don't say the Diner.

Is that pretty much it? Bistro Francais, BdC and the Diner?

Sette serves (pizza) up to the point of legal bar closing time. Is that about 1 a.m. on Sunday?

I typically don't venture out late on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure is the case.

Afterwords, the cafe at Kramerbooks, is open 24 hrs on the weekends and keeps fairly late hours Sunday-Thursday. I haven't eaten there in years (except for an acceptable but unremarkable brunch with Hjshorter last year) but they are an option.

come now dc-denizens, are we forgetting a certain historic establishment; it beats the heat...

feeling enigmatic and wanting to spread the love,

unkissed frog

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

come now dc-denizens, are we forgetting a certain historic establishment; it beats the heat...

feeling enigmatic and wanting to spread the love,

unkissed frog

Old Ebbitt, where I'm going to have a Walrus pretty soon (half price)...

Chinatown is open late. In Georgetown, aside from Bistro Français, Pied Bistro is open till 3, Five Guys is open till 2. In Foggy Bottom, Marshall's West End serves till 11 or 12 on Sunday. In Dupont, aside from Sette, Childe Harolde serves till 1. El Tamarindo is open late in Adams-Morgan.

Mark

Alberto's pizza on P St.? Soho's coffeehouse on P & 22nd? Of course, this may fail to meet the decency standards...but it's calories of some sort.

Resident Twizzlebum

Don't forget Ben's Chili Bowl!

-The Doctor, drooling at the thought of the half price walrus platter... (not on sundays though...)

You beat me to it.

The diner on Connecticut up by the Avalon is also open late.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...

Lately, when getting off work, I've been craving pasta - Anyone know a place that serves (good) pasta late at night? Sette Osteria serves only pizza after midnight (I called last night at 12:08 :sad:). Anywhere else? Near DC proper only - i get around by scooter, and so I can't get to VA, and only so far into MD. thanks!

Edited for bad spelling....

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

very shortly there will be a new falafel shop on 18th, right next to the (sigh...) now-defunct dccd.

i hear they will be open till 4am...

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

for always intriguing if not entirely successful, food for thought (inside of the black cat on 14th by t) serves vegan, vegetarian and a couple dishes worth ruminating upon the ruminants that ended up in it, till half hour before last call i believe.

i remember having vegan nachos with a vegan exgirlfriend and, damndest thing, tahini dressing melts like cheese; thankfully, it doesnt hold a candle to a ripe and gooey epoisses.

tangent aside, it is better than the standard grease-factory fare that caters to refueling inebriated souls out late. and we all suffer.

- george bernard shaw

- interpol