• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potatoes

rajsuman

My family loves sweet potatoes and I'm forever looking for new ways to cook them. What I currently do with them is:

a) Saute them with mustard, curry leaves and green chillies

b) Make a Konkani sukke with coconut masala

c) Make pakodas out of them

d) Pan-fry them with chilli powder and salt.

e) I also tried Mongo Jones' potato and sweet potato chaat recently.

What do you guys do with it?

Suman

I had a really nice sweet potato curry at a bangladeshi place a few weeks back.

can't tell you how to make it, but the spicing seemd about the same as for chick peas, minus any tomato.

With as much ghee and as much of the hottest chile powder you can stand. Fresh chiles work too. I'm partial to habanero. I like to mash them and mix in the ghee and peppers as I mash them. It gives sweet heat a whole new meaning.

With as much ghee and as much of the hottest chile powder you can stand. Fresh chiles work too. I'm partial to habanero. I like to mash them and mix in the ghee and peppers as I mash them. It gives sweet heat a whole new meaning.

Heres my recipe for sweet potato pulusu ( sweet and sour gravy :unsure: )

Sweet potatoes 2

Water 2 cups

Tamarind pulp 1/2 cup

Jaggery 2 tbsps ( both these quantities depend on the sweet/sour proportion one likes)

Tumeric 1/2 tsp

Green chillies 2

Rice flour 1 tbsp ( to thicken the sauce)

curry leaves

salt

For the tadka :

oil , mustard , methi seeds , dried red chillies and hing.

coriander leaves for garnish

Steam and slice the sweet potatoes. Add all the ingredients ( apart from the tadka ones ) to water , simmer gently. Add in the sweet potatoes. Finally add the tadka and garnish with coriander leaves.

A variation would be to add other vegetables like pumpkin , okra etc. A more elaborate way is to add a spoonful of pulusu podi ( dry roasted and powdered pepper, fenugreek, coriander seeds ,red chillies and asafoetida ).

This is usually served with roasted and boiled toor dal to which a dollop of ghee is added and rice.

Edited by Spiceroute (log)