• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Psssst --Where do you hide it?

No secret hiding place. I am one of those really obnoxious beings who likes to flaunt my indulgence in all the really bad food.

Having said that, the sugar snap peas must be placed well out of sight of the dog.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

i hide my instant Ramen *LOL*

it's behind the condiments in the tall cupboard.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

we are preparing for a visit from the cookie monster(johnnybird's brother mike) so we are hiding: john's good chocolate, my bodun coffee pot and anything else that we want to eat ourselves sunday afternoon or later. i am leaving out the cheap chocolate john doesn't want and a bag of chip ahoys. the other stuff will go into our reachin closet - in the furthest corner.

LOL, that sounds like my brother. We have to hide ANYTHING we don't want him to eat, especially olives. That guy could eat olives all day long. He'll find any olive in my house unless it's in an underwear drawer.

I need to start hiding treats from my 2 year old. She's been helping herself WAY too much! :rolleyes:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Having said that, the sugar snap peas must be placed well out of sight of the dog.

My husband taught our dog and our cat about salami............they know it's in house for the duration, and I get longing looks every time I open the refrigerator door! There's just no way to hide scent from predators!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

It has become clear that I need my own hidden stash of glassware. The poaching of my food and drink has reached a tolerably low level, but my kingdom for a damn rocks glass when I get home from work! :angry:

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

My husband Jason buys generic Walmart ice cream and I think it's disgusting. The Schwan's guy comes while Jason is at work so I buy good Schwan's ice cream and put it in the chest freezer in the garage. Jason never looks in there because that is our meat freezer and he never cooks. I tell myself it would be a waste to give the good ice cream or sherbet to him because he eats like a Hoover and he wouldn't appreciate it. Let him eat Walmart ice cream if he's so wedded to generic everything! :laugh:

If I buy myself a candy bar or a bag of Pepperidge farm cookies it goes in my closet in my computer room. That's where I hid the Cuisinart that I bought on the Sears card. :biggrin: But Jason found it the other day when he decided to stash some of our son's clothes in my office closet. :blink: I told him that I bought it last year in a manic spending spree and forgot about it. I think he thinks I'm going to take it back. I was trying to figure out a way to put it in the kitchen so he wouldn't notice it. :wink: It doesn't look anything like our yellowed old Hamilton Beach!

Rachel Sincere

I don't have to hide most treats. My DH doesn't eat a lot of sweets, although he is getting worst as he gets older. I usually have some sort of dessert around to keep him from eating all the Trader Joe's chocolate chips. :hmmm: My mom would stash chocolate covered cherries in her bedroom. I did get some tips on where to hide stuff if I ever had the need.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love this thread. Ordinarily I live alone and don't hide anything. For the last year my son and his family have been living with me til they could find and fix up their house. I've pretty much turned the kitchen over to them, keeping only a few shelf for myself.

It's really funny what I've hidden away either at the back of "my" shelves or in my closets. (It's a little like keeping the "dirty" books in plain brown wrappers.) It's not that I mind their using these items but they use them so mindlessly: fleur de sel, good balsamic, banyuls, and 20 year sherry wine vinegar, my stash of Vahlrona pistoles, single malts, a few special wines, my fairly large assortment of liqueurs, pernod, vermouth, dark rum, madiera, brandy I keep in the kitchen just for cooking now rebottled into anonymity, etc. (Oddly, my son never touches the liquer I keep out in the dining room for drinking, just likes the convenience of my cooking rum etc when he's at the kitchen table at night.)

It wouldn't bother me for them to use these things if they were discriminating cooks. But I can imagine the fleur de sel or Maldon salting the pasta water. And I did see the Nunez estate bottled olive oil used for deep frying. So I drew a line. I keep these things on hand to be used in cooking as called for, and I get very irritated when they're not available when I want to use them. -- Like the time I discovered that my DIL threw out my sourdough starter (Jackal's from eGCI) because it had been in the back of the fridge so long. Of course I didn't say a word, it was innocent enough, she's clueless about cooking.

So I tuck away special items that are troublesome or expensive to replace, revealing them only in a finished dish.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 2 months later...
where I hid the Cuisinart that I bought on the Sears card.  :biggrin:  But Jason found it the other day when he decided to stash some of our son's clothes in my office closet.  :blink:  I told him that I bought it last year in a manic spending spree and forgot about it.  I think he thinks I'm going to take it back.  I was trying to figure out a way to put it in the kitchen so he wouldn't notice it.  :wink:  It doesn't look anything like our yellowed old Hamilton Beach!

LOL!!!! :biggrin::laugh: My mother wanted a cuisinart more than anything when they first came out. It was about the time she decided to go to work because she was bored being a stay at home mom when all of her kids were in school and activities most of the day. When they first came out, the price was considered absolutely astronomical for a kitchen appliance.

Since my father had always been the one to pay the bills, he said they absolutely couldn't afford one. (She would pine about it whenever the catalogues came) But he also never asked her to contribute any of her income to running the house and that's when things got interesting.

My Dad likes a salad with every dinner and several vegetables with whatever meat is being served. But preparing the kind of meals she did when she stayed at home suddenly became more challenging for a working woman.

So she bought the cuisinart and it made it possible for her to do both. She would get home from work, use it, wash it, and then hide it in the back part of the tupperware cabinet where my dad never looked.

After about a year, she left it out on the cabinet and my Dad came home and it was the first thing he noticed. Very angrily, he said "Where did THAT come from???!!!" - my mother simply replied "Oh, we've HAD that! Why do you think you've had such good dinners and salads this year?"

She then used the same strategy to slowly redecorate the house, although hiding new furniture acquisitions for a year was much more problematic than the trusty cuisinart!!! :laugh:

After about a year, she left it out on the cabinet and my Dad came home and it was the first thing he noticed. Very angrily, he said "Where did THAT come from???!!!" - my mother simply replied "Oh, we've HAD that! Why do you think you've had such good dinners and salads this year?"

I have so had this conversation. :biggrin: But Jason's on to me now, and if he sees a new cookbook or something and I claim "Oh, I've had that for a while now" he always looks at me suspiciously. And sometimes, I'm even telling the truth! :wink:

The other tactic is, "Oh, that was 88 cents at Walmart," which is what I use for new utensils. :raz:

Rachel Sincere

You mean the stack of boxes of Ferrero Mon Cheri hazelnut chocolates that accumulates every time my local ShopRite puts them on a 30% off sale?

Impossible to hide, it's way too tall. :laugh:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Every Christmas when we were kids, my grandmother used to make a huge tin of assorted wonderful homemade candies. It never lasted very long so my father took to hiding it and then rationing it out a few pieces a time at every dinner.

Well that was just an invitation to find it and so every year, we would search the house end to end after getting home from school until we found it. We would eat some, and rearrange it so it didn't looked as picked over as it was. My father would of course catch on eventually, and he would resolve to outwit us the next year.

One year he almost did. We searched everywhere and couldn't find it and were about to call it quits. On a whim, we decided to check outside under the round lid of the Weber Grill. Sure enough- voila! After that he just gave up. :raz: