• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angon

ahr

I had an early dinner at Angon tonight, which comprised the Halim and the fishball dish. Both were delicious. I think they've decreased the size of their portions, at least of the halim, but there was still a bit more food than I needed, and a satisfying, filling dinner for $23 and change (including a pot of masala chai) before tip is certainly a fair value.

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan, I suppose that you are aware that Mina is not cooking at Angon anymore, right? She's back in Queens, just opened her own place about a month ago (no relatives involved this time, I hear) - somewhere on B'way around 63rd St if I remember corectly.

Happy to hear that the food at Angon is still good even without Mina. Maybe they learned something from her.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I think it's Spicy Mina's. I didn't make it there yet.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

• 1 month later...

Based on my dinner tonight, I think this place is no longer good. I ordered a mildly salty lassi which was so salty I couldn't drink it, and it was replaced with a supposedly "neutral" lassi that was itself saltier than I really wanted. The Samosa Chat was overly sweet and the flavors weren't balanced throughout. The Mustard Fish tasted more of salt than anything else, though it's fair to say that the excess of salt in the lassi had helped to keep that flavor in my consciousness. But anyway, the meal was just plain too salty, too sweet, and not good enough. I don't think I'll go back.

Michael aka "Pan"

i can't comment on Pan's experience because we *still* haven't managed to make it there when it's serving.

the most recent attempt began with a phone call to ensure they were open, followed by a drive out to Woodside, and ended with us walking in and them telling us they were closed for a private birthday party. OK, not entirely true -- it ended with us driving back to Sunnyside for soon dubu at Natural Tofu.

small owner-managed restaurants often have some issues with business savvy, but this is insane.

i can't comment on Pan's experience because we *still* haven't managed to make it there when it's serving.

the most recent attempt began with a phone call to ensure they were open, followed by a drive out to Woodside[...]

Let me make clear that my remarks were about Angon, which is on 6th St. in Manhattan. I have not been to Spicy Mina's, or whatever the new restaurant in Queens is called. In order to avoid confusion in the future, would someone please start a new thread under the correct name of the new restaurant in Queens?

Michael aka "Pan"

Just as I was about to stop dragging my heels and get over to Angon! Well, I Googled and found an About.com page dated October 25, 2005 titled "Chowhound Loves Spicy Mina" -- http://queens.about.com/b/a/213135.htm

>> Spicy Mina, 64-23 Broadway, Woodside, NY 11377, 718-205-2340

So I picked up the phone.... R train to 65 Broadway; open for lunch and dinner every day, if I got this info right...

Edit: Oh, well .... I realize that I must have been reading carelessly. I guess you already know where the new location is. [shameface]

Edited by Aquitaine (log)