• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Django, Philadelphia

Rosie

All in all, I'd say bringing your own stemware if your boat floats that way is a relatively small price to pay for the quality of food and service you get for that particular price point.

Some things have to go by the wayside. Space and margins are tight enough.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It is not tacky or pretentious to bring your own stemware to byo's with lousy glasses.Especially if your bringing some special wines.

I'm not a huge fan of stemless Riedels, but they are a good option to tote to byo's because they are easily packed.

I'm not a huge fan of stemless Riedels, but they are a good option to tote to byo's because they are easily packed.

True. Otherwise, I'm not much of a fan.

If I was buying wine glasses now, I'd keep the boxes they came in for transport.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It is not tacky or pretentious to bring your own stemware to byo's with lousy glasses.Especially if your bringing some special wines.

i agree. i have to admit it would have been a little cooler to have the fancy wines we were having out of fancy stemware when we went to django a few times ago, because the guy we were with brought some real doozies, and it would have added to the special feeling the evening had.

but for my general drinkin purposes, i'll swill from anything, even if it's nice wine.

I've been to D'jango enough times to know they don't think it pretentious when we show with our own stemware.They have even graciously offered to rinse them out when we are finished.

• 4 months later...

No no no no no no no no no, it can't be.

Please say it ain't so, I'm coming to Philadelphia and one specific pupose of the trip is to eat there.

Source?

I just heard Django has been sold. So sad. It's been bought by RX who want to expand the location. Anybody know the details?

--Alec

Edited by Peter Johnson (log)

I just heard Django has been sold. So sad. It's been bought by RX who want to expand the location. Anybody know the details?

--Alec

This rumor smells of a cow pasture. Source?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Back in September a member of my wine club told me he brokered the sale, but it would not be finalized until October. He indicated the owners of Django would likely be moving to Pittsburgh.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

I remember hearing about a year ago that their lease is up soon, and they were looking for another space. Nothing about them moving out of the city. Then again, it was a year ago, before baby.

But if these rumors are true, then NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :shock::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I understand that the restaurant has been for sale for a few months at least, probably about a year.

Also that the owners have been at the restaurant much less than when Django originally opened.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

That makes two reasons for a drive to Pittsburg. I was given a piece of the most wonderful carrot cake, Scott brought it back from a Thanksgiving visit back home. I 'll have to get the name of that place and a few others. D'Jango will be missed here, but they will be an inspiration. The bar was raised notches here in Philly and gave the BYOB a much needed high level of respect, because of them. I will now just have to spread myself around. :wink:

Edited by mantee (log)

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

I understand that the restaurant has been for sale for a few months at least, probably about a year. 

Also that the owners have been at the restaurant much less than when Django originally opened.

Which brings to mind a possible silver lining: remember when Salt closed? It was lamented (well, with one exception), but in its passing gifted us Marigold Kitchen. Assuming Django's entire kitchen isn't moving wholesale to the 'Burgh, there will be a passel of talented folk spreading tasty knowledge around.

from what I know (I worked for him all summer in L.I.)he is not changing anything.one of the reasons they chose to sell to ross is the food style is similar.

I think he just needs someone to do cheese.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

from what I know (I worked for him all summer in L.I.)he is not changing anything.one of the reasons they chose to sell to ross is the food style is similar.

I think he just needs someone to do cheese.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Looks like it's true see today's Inquirer here.  Happened yesterday and most what everyone said here is true.  New owner's want to keep everything 'the same, but different'.

That's Greg being funny, I think.

If this *had* to happen, this is a very good way for it to go. I like everything about it but the noncompete agreement, but under the circumstances that was probably unavoidable. Wonder how far "the area" extends, and whether the noncompete agreement has a sunset clause. Though if the "country" they're moving to is over Pittsburgh ways, it's pretty much a moot point.

With Greg Salisbury involved, I will be sure to return.  I am one of the lonely pariahs who thought Django was just "ok". 

Good luck Greg!

Evan

I liked it, but the reservation situation meant that I virtually never got to go - I just don't make plans a month in advance, and being up early enough to call is unthinkable anyway. I know I *didn't* like the bread, and the desserts were not as good as the rest of the menu. Which was creative and (usually) well executed, if a little fussy..

Not having been there in years, I've suspected for a little while that I would have a much more jaundiced view after eating at some of the places that have since opened in town, like Marigold and SK.

I think I agree with you, I have the feeling that Ross and Greg's stewardship will be reinvigorating. I'd just hate to be in their shoes, given how people feel about the place. Imagine Shola handing off at StudioKitchen!

A huge congrats to Greg! WOW. I have no doubt the place will continue to be a Philly treasure.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I'd like to add my congrats to Greg and Ross. I'm sure the restaurant will continue to be well loved and will evolve brilliantly under their leadership.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol