• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tomatoes and ginger

torakris

I have to admit I was over 30 when I ate my first dish that combined tomatoes and ginger and it was love at first taste! Recently I have been seeing this combo popping up all over the place, do you have any favorite recipes for using this dynamic duo? :biggrin:

here is my version of the dish that started it all for me:

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r335.html

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I make a tomato-orange-ginger soup with those ingredients ....

It has a beautiful reddish-orange color and a slight bite from the ginger.

2 medium onions, peeled and chopped fine

3 cloves garlic, chopped fine

1/8 pound sweet butter

Zest of ½ medium orange

6 cups pureed fresh tomatoes (edited, see post below)

1 5-ounce can tomato paste

6 cups freshly squeezed orange juice

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

½ teaspoon salt

3/4 tablespoon salt

Cayenne to taste

Sauté the onion and garlic lightly in the butter ... do not brown. Add the zest and stir well. Transfer to a large pot (or stock pot) ... add the remaining ingredients, stir well. Bring almost to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot or cool.

oh yes, andiesenji and I discussed this recipe and her own personal variation back in May ... andiesenji, you reading this? :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

oh yes, andiesenji and I discussed this recipe and her own personal variation back in May ... andiesenji, you reading this? :wink:

Yes, it is lovely and I think I mentioned I was going to make a sorbet from it.

I did and it was lovely.

Great recipe Melissa!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I love that combination. The heat of the ginger really pulls out the depth of the tomato flavor for me. It seems to come up in indian food a lot. Madhur Jaffrey's (world of the east?) vegetarian cookbook has several dishes that really highlight this combination -- a cream of tomato soup with indian spices, and a couple of tomato chutneys, both hot and sweet. I make all of these fairly often. In fact, I have a jar of the sweet chutney in my fridge right now. (I had a bunch of heirloom tomatoes that needed using.) It is awesome on a cheese sandwich, and keeps for months.