• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romantic spots in London?

Three separate couples visiting London have asked me for recommendations for "romantic spots" for birthday or anniversary meals. Since everyone's definition of 'romantic' is different, I wanted to send a few suggestions. They are all mid-30's and fairly laid-back, so I think they'd be uncomfortable with a high stuffiness quotient. Two pairs are fairly adventurous about food, one is not. Thanks!

Thats a tricky one. It obviously depends on your definition of romantic. Somewhere with a River View is always nice: Pont De La Tour for instance or the River Cafe, maybe even Oxo Tower or Neats Restaurant.

Launceston Place looks quite romantic (not eaten there though), as does Odins off Marlybone High Street. La Poule Au Pot always scores highly for romance I believe. Gavroche or Petrus could be deemed romantic. Just a thought. I'm always thinking about the food too much to worry about romance!  

Panel says it's OK :)

I agree with the Bombay Brasserie -- it has a 'colonial' feel and looks great, and I always found the service smooth and professional. Food is excellent.

Harry's Bar at the Atlantic (Piccadilly Circus) is pretty romantic for cocktails. I've found the restaurant excellent on the two occasions I've been there.

Foliage at the Mandarin Oriental, Knightsbridge is a great place, very French service. My first visit was last week for lunch, but my instinct is that it would be very romantic for dinner.

I'm about to write this one up for around ten days time so I'll punt it here first: Lightship ten,  in St Katherine's Dock. I am not normally a fan of these concept places but this one is stunning. A creaking old, 19th century lightship with a truly delicious dining room in thick old wood moored on a  gentle swell and food that is really rather good if unsurprising, in a modish French sort of a way. My wife who, being a restaurant reviewer's mole is rather jaded with life, swooned at the glorious isolation of it all. It's been open a month.

Jay

I think it is fair to say that romance is in the eye of the beholder.  For me, a romantic restaurant should be dark and cozy (the more candles the better).  It should have good service (so as not to spoil the mood) and good, but not great, food (so as not to distract from the object of your affection).

As such (and based on my limited experience), La Poule au Pot, as suggested above, fits the bill.

Can't help jumping on the bandwagon here. I had, without doubt the worst meal I ate last year at Lindsay house. The food was terible, several people left a fish main course (Halibut I think), my rabbit was overcooked and service was only just adequate. The room was drafty although I can see that it may be viewed as friendly if the weather is a little warmer.

All the bad reviews I have read all seem to come about whn Mr. Corrigan isn't in attendance.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"