• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver rums

Kristian

Since my trip to San Diego in the spring, I've not written too much on this forum, 'cause I've been arranging our move to the Vancouver area for a year. The change from Finland to Richmond, B.C., was not at all as big and shocking a change as I would have imagined.

I did have to leave my rum collection behind, though, and thus far the only rum that I've purchased here is Appleton V/X. Anyone know any good stores to find rum in the Richmond (or nearby) area?

I'm sure the selection has to be better than in Finland... :smile:

Hey Kristian! Welcome back!

I dunno about Vancouver... you picked a place to move to where the liquor is state-controlled. Maybe you should try a weekend trip to Portland or Seattle (where the rum is also state controlled!)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hi Kristian,

If you haven't found it already, bc liquor stores have an online presence.

Their list of rum is quite extensive, including Cruzan, Havana Club, Barbancourt (including their 15 yr old), and the old canadian/newfie/jamaican standby, Screech.

As Jason mentioned, filling in the gaps in your rum portfolio can be accomplished duty-free (in two bottle increments) on 48 hr trips to Washington state or Oregon.

Have fun and enjoy yourself in beautiful B.C. :smile:

Unfortunately, I could not choose my new home based on the availability of rums... :sad:

Thank you for the links, J_Ozzy! I had not yet found those. It seems that there are indeed some gaps in the selection (where's Cockspur VSOR!?), but I can find some brands that I haven't tried yet, so I guess I'll be alright living here!

If you're game for a road trip through the mountains, Alberta has an almost deregulated (read, much less archaic) liquor system. lower prices and the widest selection are available in Calgary and Edmonton. The Rockies and the Pacific Coastal Range Mountains are also spectacular.

Hi Kristian, and welcome to Vancouver. Most beautiful city on the planet!

Best liquor store I've found in the Vancouver area is the one at Cambie & 39th, in Vancouver (not too far from Richmond). The selection is quite good. The liquor stores in Richmond are all pretty basic, unfortunately.

There are also a couple of specialty stores downtown Vancouver, where you might find some more obscure brands.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your tips! I'm sure I'll find my way to the Vancouver shop sooner or later. I need a bottle of rum cream liqueur for my wife to enjoy while I enjoy my rums and it seems that there is only one brand available in B.C. and that's not to be seen here in Richmond...