• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

tofino eating

jhiroshi

I was just wondering if anybody has eaten at the wickanninish inn and has any feedback on whether it is worth going?

I will be going to tofino for a week and was thinking of trying it out since I seem to read about it everywhere.

Also, I haven't been to Tofino for many years, are there any restaurants that people have been excited about?

Thanks,

James

Hello from Tofino. I won't give my review of the Wick as I work there and my opinion may not be taken seriously. However with respect to other restaurants in the area, there was another thread of conversation further down on this list with a fairly current description of the local scene. Only new thing to note, is Long Beach Lodge has lost another general manager. Heidi Rust who was deemed to be their latest saviour is gone as of the end of August, and assistant manager Carly will be taken over. She is a wonderful young lady, but I think in a little deep for what is currently happening at that property. Oceanside Cafe is a new small spot located at the NaaChaks building on Main St. Simple fare with fabulous views over the harbour. Have a great stay, stop by the Concierge desk at the Wick if you need some hands on recommendations.

jhiroshi:

If you are heading to the Tofino area you definitely do owe it to yourself to stop into the Wick even if it is merely to have a drink rather than dine.

The views of Chesterman Beach are awe inspiring especially if the winds are up and the surf is churning.

This time of the year will be busy so your dinner options may be limited but I have found that lunch is a better value in any event. Their prices are high [resort standards] but with a nice bottle of wine from their extensive selection I can think of few other places where I would prefer to while away some time in a so totally relaxing environment.

As other posters including Tofino [Chris, you are such a diplomat :biggrin: ] have pointed out the other thread covers most of the emerging and developing dining scene in the area.

We will try Shelter this year and look forward to lunch at the Wick and perhaps getting together with Paul for a sail up to Clayoquot Wilderness Lodge.

2 more months to go.

Please post your observations if you do go

Thanks for pointing out the other thread, it's exactly what i was looking for. couldn't find it when I searched before.

I will definitely go to the wick for at least a drink, maybe lunch, since I am staying on chesterman.

Thanks again for the tips. Definitely hoping to make it to shelter and sobo in the few days I have.

Can't wait until tomorrow night when I will be able to enjoy a stroll along chesterman with a glass or three of blue mountain brut, and some dungeness crab in my stomach. don't know if it's the best pairing, and don't care. :smile: mmmmmmm.

james

Can't wait until tomorrow night when I will be able to enjoy a stroll along chesterman with a glass or three of blue mountain brut, and some dungeness crab in my stomach. don't know if it's the best pairing, and don't care. :smile:

James...you really know how to hurt a guy! :biggrin:

That sounds like my customary regime when staying on Chesterman...sounds grand indeed...in fact I think I have seen a few sun rises with a glass of Blue Mountain Brut too :biggrin:

Enjoy yourself, I am envious "big time".