• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston's instituting a dress-and-etiquette code

Gifted Gourmet

I've only eaten at a Houston's on two occasions (both in Atlanta if I recall correctly). It was actually pretty good for a chain and I'd describe it as upscale casual.

I've never worn a hat indoors in my life (my good northeastern upbringing - no different than a soutern upbringing - a good upbringing knows nor geography). I've also never worn a tank top and wouldn't deam of going into a "nicer" restaurant wearing shorts but that's just me.

I have to wonder if they perceived a shift in demographics in some location and wantd to proactively counter it - i.e. if they thought that more upscale regular clientele were put off by cell phone chatting, tank top wearing folks with cut-off shorts.... perhaps they hope to keep that clientele by dissuading others.

Contrary to what some others have experienced, I've had some fantastic meals in places where jackets were required. Ties were not required but every guy in the place including me had a tie on. I don't think that a very dressy environment excludes the possibility of getting good food but it certainly doesn't ensure it.

But I've yet to have really good food in a place with a great view (rumor has it that Per se in NYC is an exception if you get a table with a view of Central Park).

I've never worn a hat indoors in my life (my good northeastern upbringing - no different than a soutern upbringing - a good upbringing knows nor geography). I've also never worn a tank top and wouldn't deam of going into a "nicer" restaurant wearing shorts but that's just me.

well, I think we can safely assume that you're both a class act (OK, I knew that already) and an exception to the rule! :biggrin:

But I've yet to have really good food in a place with a great view (rumor has it that Per se in NYC is an exception if you get a table with a view of Central Park).

I had a memorable Restaurant Week lunch a few years ago at the River Cafe, which has breathtaking views across the East River. But that's a topic for another thread... :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

I guess I'm the lone voice here but I think no tank tops is a fine idea. I don't want to see overgrown pit hair coming out of what used to be regarded as undewear while I'm eating a salad with sprouts. I also think baseball hats and visors are kind of odd at night or indoors. Isn't the point to protect your eyes?

not anymore, for a good long while now. the point is to make a fashion statement. baseball players wear hats to protect their eyes. non-players wear them because they like the way they look. ditto cowboy hats, boots... hell, chaps, if you want to take it a step further. people who ride motorcycles wear heavy boots to help prevent burns and injury--the rest of us wear them for fashion. basketball players wear high tops to help protect their ankles--the rest of us wear them for fashion. time to get over the whole utility concept when it comes to clothes.

i should clarify: i don't wear hats indoors. i don't wear tanktops at all, and i only wear shorts at home. i generally don't wear sandals anywhere in public either, and i only own one pair of sneakers, which i bought in a moment of madness related to a failed attempt to exercise more. so i'm not trying to defend myself here.

i'm just saying i don't care. people are gonna do and wear what they want when they go out; what am i gonna do, get all worked up about it? it doesn't help anyone, in any remotely conceivable way whatsoever, for me to sit around stewing over some dingus wearing his dorkalicious upside-down-backwards visor with a tank top in a restaurant.

kinda related: i went to houston's in dc for sunday brunch. had delicious crabcakes. they cost $27. i wasn't paying.

For $27 crab cakes I'll wear what ever the Hell I feel like. They had better be the best you ever had. This from the land of overpriced food and housing in Sonoma Ca. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

The two or three times I have been at Houston's I was surprised by the overall ambience that they have created + the type of clientele present + the menu selections and prices. To put it bluntly, I was/am confused at what they are trying to create. They will always attract the hat and t-shirt (and in florida a tank top is a t-shirt) croud with the affordable prices they offer and the comfortable dining facilities. Imposing a dress code is a step in the direction of weeding out these "unwanted" diners, and will ultimately lead to higher prices without better food and service. I just wish I was the smart business person who bought the franchise and is going to make a nice chunk of change after the transition.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

i'm just saying i don't care. people are gonna do and wear what they want when they go out; what am i gonna do, get all worked up about it? it doesn't help anyone, in any remotely conceivable way whatsoever, for me to sit around stewing over some dingus wearing his dorkalicious upside-down-backwards visor with a tank top in a restaurant. .

No one is stewing. In fact, they're taking action. And since you don't care, and I do care, everybody wins except the guy in the tank top with the pimpley arms and the funky armpit hair!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

For $27 crab cakes I'll wear what ever the Hell I feel like. They had better be the best you ever had. This from the land of overpriced food and housing in Sonoma Ca. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

well, they WERE two large crabcakes made of huge lumps of crabmeat with nothing that i could actually see holding them together.'

i mean, not that that justifies it, really. but it was a ton of solid crab.

and i was dressed appropriately, wearing a dress shirt untucked with nice pants. the new york times informed me that i am the height of fashion just two weeks ago with this look.

For $27 crab cakes I'll wear what ever the Hell I feel like. They had better be the best you ever had. This from the land of overpriced food and housing in Sonoma Ca. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

well, they WERE two large crabcakes made of huge lumps of crabmeat with nothing that i could actually see holding them together.'

i mean, not that that justifies it, really. but it was a ton of solid crab.

and i was dressed appropriately, wearing a dress shirt untucked with nice pants. the new york times informed me that i am the height of fashion just two weeks ago with this look.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :biggrin: Sonoma is clean t shirt ,pressed jeans and shined boots. and that's for weddings. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321