• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is Smirnoff better now than it was then?

herbacidal

Inspired by a line in the cachaca thread, I was wondering:

What do people think about the quality of Smirnoff vodka?

Is it better now, in the years since they've put together this major marketing campaign?

Was it good then, just unmarketed?

Was it bad then, and just bad with a marketing campaign now?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm curious how others are going to weigh in on this issue. Is this a common phenomena, the maturing/developing/changing of a liquor blend over the years. Do companies frequently tweak their blends or brews? I mean, I know they do, but is it a slow evolutionary process? Do they come to work one day, and BAM!

I'd like to throw another brand out there for consideration -- Johnnie Walker Red. Has this blend changed significantly over the years? I haven't tried it in over 15 years, and back then I thought it was garbage (but I was a snobby punk then), but it placed well in a recent tasting. Makes me think that something has changed, or my tastebuds were just too young 10 years ago...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Inspired by a line in the cachaca thread, I was wondering:

What do people think about the quality of Smirnoff vodka?

Is it better now, in the years since they've put together this major marketing campaign?

Was it good then, just unmarketed?

Was it bad then, and just bad with a marketing campaign now?

Hi herb. Glad to see you around the cocktail forum. :smile:

Without commenting on their marketing, I think Smirnoff is a decent product, but look at the vodka explosion that has taken place since the 1980's.

I don't loathe it per se, however I was disappointed at the last wedding I attended and that was the sole brand of my water of life. There just are others that "taste" differently and are smoother.

At the mo' I'm enjoying a gift bottle of Three Olives as I soothe my tired bones and muscles from two very demanding catering gigs from today. If it had been Smirnoff, I'd be sipping that instead. :smile:

I remember as an illegal age drinking teen in the late '60's and into the 70's that Smirnoff was perceived then as the high end stuff., Then when was it, the late 80's? Stoly became the in thing.

Having never been a vodka drinker and only on rare occasions having had mixed drinks with it, I was brought up hearing and perceiving that all vodkas were essentially the same. That vodka has no taste (other than being alcohol) and that the difference was only a question of purity and hence smootheness. Not taking into account the flavored vodkas (hmm, if it had flavor why the need to flavor it?) is what I've heard true or false? What is the taste of Vodka? What to look for. My main interests here are that my SO likes vodka and that I"m interested in using it to cook with (I make penne a la vodka) and want to know what flavor it is bringing to the party. Obviously I"ll have to try some straight along the way as well.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Having never been a vodka drinker and only on rare occasions having had mixed drinks with it, I was brought up hearing and perceiving that all vodkas were essentially the same.  That vodka has no taste (other than being alcohol) and that the difference was only a question of purity and hence smootheness.

The legal definition of vodka is what all immediately think of. It could be a plus or minus depending upon the side of the stick you are on. :wink:

Not taking into account the flavored vodkas (hmm, if it had flavor why the need to flavor it?) is what I've heard true or false?

Why flavour? I suppose it was inspired by novelty. Why infuse vodka?

Cranberry flavoured vodka beats out having a shot of regular Finlandia diluted with a healthy dose of cranberry juice. I suppose it is a driving force of the up cocktail scene which I carefully choose to describe, as opposed to outright ruffling feathers on saying the "martini" craze. :rolleyes::biggrin:

What is the taste of Vodka?  What to look for.  My main interests here are that my SO likes vodka and that I"m interested in using it to cook with (I make penne a la vodka) and want to know what flavor it is bringing to the party.  Obviously I"ll have to try some straight along the way as well.

There are a bunch of tasting vodka threads. Depending upon the water and grains used provides different smoothnesses, nuances, textures and finishes. Pure potato vodka is often perceived as "hot" while ones with wheat as softer, and perhaps a bit sweeter and rye as full bodied.

This article may be helpful to you, even adding a bit about the first flavoured vodka, known as gin. :smile:

...I tasted it at room temperature. And what I discovered in those glasses astonished me. Tasted straight and without the numbing influence of ice, the vodkas put in front of me were full of flavor.

Russian vodkas, such as the perennial Stolichnaya, were light and floral, with faint vanilla notes and a full wheat flavor, while the new Zyr offered a surprising zingy sweetness.

... a traditional potato vodka, such as Chopin. The "rich oiliness" of the potato vodka complements the deep, salty funk of the roe. Esteemed Polish brand Wyborowa now offers a "single estate" rye vodka that was stately and structured, with a distinctly bready nose, while Belvedere gave off huge hits of anise and Christmas spices.

[descriptions continue to follow]

Na zdraví/Na zdrowie!

Vash zdorovie/ Na zdravie!

Na zdravje/N zdorov'ya!

edit: :cool: My lovely friend, a Czech exchange student's (one of our barbacks) language lessons are paying off....

Edited by beans (log)

Hi herb.  Glad to see you around the cocktail forum.  :smile:

At the mo' I'm enjoying a gift bottle of Three Olives as I soothe my tired bones and muscles from two very demanding catering gigs from today.  If it had been Smirnoff, I'd be sipping that instead.  :smile:

Moi? I've been around. I started the vodka recommendations thread.

But it's nice to know I've been noticed. Even appreciated.

You cater? I thought you just tended bar in the restaurants.

Without commenting on their marketing, I think Smirnoff is a decent product, but look at the vodka explosion that has taken place since the 1980's.

It started in the 80s? I only starting paying attention to the restaurant business in the early 90s. The first notable brand I remember was Absolut.

then in 1995 or so I became aware of Ketel One as top dog, and the selection of other vodkas around.

Then Grey Goose and Belvedere came along with major marketing moolah behind them to be the premier vodkas, maybe in '97?

Then everybody else jumped on.

At least that's how I remember it.

I don't loathe it per se, however I was disappointed at the last wedding I attended and that was the sole brand of my water of life.  There just are others that "taste" differently and are smoother.

Truthfully, I don't drink vodka much. I'll drink some of my infused stuff when I bring it to others. If I drink hard stuff, it's usually either G&T or bourbon.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

This is odd. I really love gin, even straight, but I can't much stand vodka, and they are fairly similar drinks...

Smirnoff is what I buy to keep around as a mixer though.

I once had Vox straight and enjoyed it, but I was three sheets to the wind already at that point.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Smirnoff is one of those ubiquitous products that is successful in the UK thanks to its prior market stranglehold and its past dominance. Over here, its success has been based on the fact that during the 60s and 70s the vodka market was an open field, which Smirnoff plundered in much the same whey as Bacardi did with the rum market. Guerilla marketing ensured that the customer reacted in a psychsomatic whey to the mere mention of vodka, to the point that brand and product became inextricably interchangeable.

The results of this economic dominance is still in evidence in most rural parts of Ireland, to the point where, if a vodka and Coke is ordered, Smirnoff is expected, and Gawd help the tender who doesn't have it to hand.

The bar I currently werk it in has Wyborowa as its rack vodka - yet trying to explain the nuances of Polish rye vodka is impossible against the tide of engrained influence that branding and re-branding has had over the years.

To conclude: Smirnoff is muck as a product. On a cost basis alone, I prefer to serve Finlandia. As emblematic of the dangerous and repercussive effects of market dominance, I also find it repellant. Thankfully, the tide is slowly turning, as market dominance dissipates and discerning palates develop. Who knows, in 2 years thyme, we may have Zubrowka and Luksusowa in our wells. Bring the revolution kumrads!

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

i see smirnoffs brand as being a bad one these days, which is a shame as it used to be a brand market leader, i guess trends change.....

they have just released smirnoff 'penka' which i tried the other day, which is pretty special, but unfortunately not something i'd consider stocking as i fear the smirnoff brand just turns people off these days.

at the launch they did this great tasting where we got to try cuts at different stages of the vodkas development from the head to the tails, it was fascinating learning how the flavours change over time

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

Smirnoff is one of those ubiquitous products that is successful in the UK thanks to its prior market stranglehold and its past dominance. Over here, its success has been based on the fact that during the 60s and 70s the vodka market was an open field, which Smirnoff plundered in much the same whey as Bacardi did with the rum market. Guerilla marketing ensured that the customer reacted in a psychsomatic whey to the mere mention of vodka, to the point that brand and product became inextricably interchangeable.

The results of this economic dominance is still in evidence in most rural parts of Ireland, to the point where, if a vodka and Coke is ordered, Smirnoff is expected, and Gawd help the tender who doesn't have it to hand.

The bar I currently werk it in has Wyborowa as its rack vodka - yet trying to explain the nuances of Polish rye vodka is impossible against the tide of engrained influence that branding and re-branding has had over the years.

To conclude: Smirnoff is muck as a product. On a cost basis alone, I prefer to serve Finlandia. As emblematic of the dangerous and repercussive effects of market dominance, I also find it repellant. Thankfully, the tide is slowly turning, as market dominance dissipates and discerning palates develop. Who knows, in 2 years thyme, we may have Zubrowka and Luksusowa in our wells. Bring the revolution kumrads!

:wub:

I think my heart rate just doubled!

This is interesting, because I don't gather that Smirnoff is all that less expensive than Luksusowa and, IMO, Luksusowa is a far superior product. Just looking at NYC retail prices, Smirnoff is around $16/liter while Luksusowa is $17/liter. Finlandia, on the other hand, is $16 for only 750ml (also not as good as Luksusowa, IMO).

(Prices from Sherry-Lehmann.com)

--

This is interesting, because I don't gather that Smirnoff is all that less expensive than Luksusowa and, IMO, Luksusowa is a far superior product. Just looking at NYC retail prices, Smirnoff is around $16/liter while Luksusowa is $17/liter. Finlandia, on the other hand, is $16 for only 750ml (also not as good as Luksusowa, IMO).

Sam,

q has tended bar in Paris (among other fabulous European cities) and is now in Belfast. Which, btw, is why I am so thrilled he's here and posting with a very different perspective on fine spirits that US citizens just don't know about.

irony doesn't mean "kinda like iron".

BTW, what do you pay for Hangar One in your state? I'm in Michigan, and ordered a bottle. $$$$39.95!

Edited to apologize for hijacking the thread. :huh:

Back to Smirnoff talk.

I find Smirnoff an excellent value at $9.95. I've started using it as my standard.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!