• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Colorado Kitchen

babka

What an incredible meal! Many, many thanks to Chef, Robin and staff for an unforgettable evening. Delicious food, wonderful company, excellent service - what more could you ask for?

And thanks also to Babka and Hillvalley for organizing this gathering. It was great to meet everyone.

p.s. Even our dog, Gilbert, gave CK a great review - he gobbled up the homemade dog biscuits from DaSto' as soon as we got home. :smile:

So, who's who then? (Left to right. If you please.)

gallery_12371_40_1094615414.jpg

I'll put the screennames I know.  I remember some "real" names but not all...memory is stuffed with thoughts of the food! and conversation! 

Front: At left, klc14.  The smiling lady in the pink shirt is rosebud.   babka right behind her. 

Middle:hjshorter, in the striped shirt to the left of Chef. Nadya is standing with chin up and smiling right behind Chef, in center of picture.  Back: busboy,  chef shogun.  

edited to remove mis-identification.

Edited by klc14 (log)

All I know is that my lawyers will be in touch with Busboy and Stretch shortly regarding lawsuits. Busboy forced me to drink something resembling engine degreaser. Stretch had a defective bottle of Laphroaig (there was a hole in the top of the bottle). Perhaps later today I will have a flashback of what happened at CK.

You may want to wait a couple of days longer before you decide on location (in a new thread), because our next guest on the DC DelMarVa chat is going to be

Yes......?

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

OH YES the food was wonderful! I second that emotion!

The meatloaf was very tasty on its own and black currant sauce a delicious addition. I love black currant and I like meatloaf, but would not have paired them. I will never again eat ketchup on meatloaf. It no longer satisfies.

Discussion at our table ranged from wonderful Italian food to "Why don't more DC chefs take chances and present really different food!" After this meal I second that TOO! (Also, the need for a dessert restaurant in DC was identified, if anyone is looking for a niche or a need to fill).

Thanks to Nadya for transport from Firefly to CK and then to Metro for 4 people, who fit very neatly in her car. We did manage to fit back inside the car after the meal. Just. :biggrin:

Polly Brown, who baked the shortbread, graham crackers and "biscotty" (Polly's name for her biscotti for dogs) at da Sto', sat at our table; Barbara (rosebud) and Craig had been to Italy and experienced some memorable meals, and Polly had been to Tuscany. So in between courses we heard about the great food available where the tourists never venture. Arul (tailfins) and Polly discussed the need for a new dessert restaurant and compared impressions of New York and DC restaurants. So, great food for body and for mind!

AND the service WAS FIRST RATE!!!

Thanks to hillvalley and babka for setting this up.

And thanks to Chef and Robin for hosting us.

(If anyone took some "biscotty" home and their dog has given an opinion, you can pm me if you like and I can email her, if hillvalley needs to retire from email for a bit. Of course you might tell her yourself on your next trip to CK and da Sto' :biggrin: ).

All I know is that my lawyers will be in touch with Busboy and Stretch shortly regarding lawsuits.  Busboy forced me to drink something resembling engine degreaser.

Holy crap was that stuff vile.

The picture of me with my eyes closed is from before Busboy broke out the Raki. :unsure: I shudder to think of what we looked like as the evening wore on.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Big thanks to Chef and Robin, and also our organizers Hillvalley and Babka. We had a great time and enjoyed some wonderful wine at the table with mdt and iamthestretch.

Mmmm, meatloaf. Awesome stuff.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

It certainly looks like it was fun. I wish I could have gone!

Okay so when is the next outing? Someone volunteered to organize it last night , right?

Nope, but I think you just did! :biggrin:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Big thanks to Chef, Robin, staff, hillvalley, babka, and everyone else who had a hand in making last night truly wonderful! Only wish we hadn't had to leave just as the luscious, fragrant pork chop was making its appearance (Dinerboy had to be at work at 9:30). It made a wonderful lunch today, however.

And I'm forever indebted to Debbie (gnatherobed? sp?) and Sydney for trekking all the way to 18th St. to drop off a huge slice of the pineapple upside-down cake (yum!!) for Dinerboy and me on their way home. What a wicked awesome surprise. You guys are the greatest. (Debbie, I PM'd you this morning, but don't know if it went through- it's not in my "sent" box- so, if you didn't get it- thank you!!!)

Looking forward to the next one...

Edited by littlechinagirl (log)

Wow.  Lots of wine.

Was DonRocks there?

Only in some people's imagination, after Busboy started passing that stuff around.

Watching you all post during the day while I was getting beat up while hungover SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have nothing to organize anymore so let me know where you all want the next one and I will get the ball rolling.

And Stretch, you owe me a scotch and tweaked owes me a beer after your end of the night comments :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

QUOTE(mnebergall @ Sep 8 2004, 11:01 AM)

All I know is that my lawyers will be in touch with Busboy and Stretch shortly regarding lawsuits.  Busboy forced me to drink something resembling engine degreaser.

Holy crap was  stuff vile.

The picture of me with my eyes closed is from before Busboy broke out the Raki.   :unsure:   I shudder to think of what we looked like as the evening wore on.

Gah, what wimps. In Crete, where Men are Men and Women are Strong, raki is considered a wholesome part of a nutritious breakfast.

I can only add my thanks to CK'ers and my appreciation to my fellow DCeG-ers for a wonderful evening.

How 'bout those crabcakes?

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Better late than never. Thanks to babka's roomate for helping with the pics. Most of the shots aren't great. The lighting wasn't great for shooting, not to mention the wine and Busboy's spirits.

The salad

gallery_12371_40_1094616838.jpg

our main course

gallery_12371_40_1094616659.jpg

some of the wine, owner's can pipe up and claim their bottles

gallery_12371_40_1094616326.jpg

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe