• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Colorado Kitchen

babka

Rhodegirl -

Are you sure you want to do this ? We're a ferocious bunch of foodophiles. Don't get near any of us when we're eating, you risk losing a limb. :shock:

Hillvalley - Thanks, that would be great. Yet another food function that will make me late for work the next morning.

As we plan this we need to discuss attendance so we do not end up short again. What do you all think?

I think this is critical if they are going to come in on their day off to make us a special meal.

Perhaps we need to get a cell phone number of the organizer (via PM) so that last minute dropouts can be filled from the sure to develop wait list? Another idea would be to pre-pay the base cost via credit card so that if someone drops off last minute and that spot is not filled from the wait list Chef Gillian and Robin do not bear the cost. If this is a hassle for them at CK, maybe we could set up a PayPal account so that one of us is responsible for getting the pre-pays????

This is an excellent suggestion. I would be interested in how it works out. I never thought of locking people in by getting them to pay upfront through paypal. That will certainly make some think twice before bailing out two hours before the event.

I really don't like the idea of locking people in, or having them pay before hand. Emergencies happen, the car breaks down, the paper doesn't get written, etc.

I also think we need to go event by event. At some events (such as the Full Key dinner) it does not matter how many show up. Of course at others it does.

Somethings to think about: What is the restaurant expecting from us? Have they created a menu just for us and therefor need to guarantee revenue? Do they care how many people show up?

I was thinking more along the lines of a better contact system in case someone does have to back out.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

wow. 31 very interested, plus another four who are interested but already said they can't make one or another of the floated dates....I'd say we're on.

I'd also say that I'm in over my head--so everybody welcome hillvalley as the official co-coordinator.

1) I've asked the CK crew to suggest a good price point and to vet three potential dates: September 7, September 14, and September 21. If you've got a strong preference for or against one of those days, PM me. Otherwise, watch this space for the non-democratic decision.

2) Attendance: As we get closer, I'll PM my cell number to attendees. With a group this size and a restaurant opening especially for us, I'm sorta leaning towards pre-payment at whatever point the restaurant needs a hard number from us. If memory serves, Monica had several RSVP'd no-shows at her fantastic streetfood fest, and Ray's fell a couple people short. (think of it like a theater outing--we'll need to pay for our block of 'tickets' a couple days in advance to make sure we all have seats.)

besides...I'd really rather not start the evening off by learning we've just messed with Gillian's plans for dinner because half the group failed to show. :blink: Anyone got a good argument against it?

3) folks who want to attend, date-dependent:

babka

hillvalley

bilrus + 1

chef shogun

nadya

otello

busboy

mrs busboy

iamthestretch

silentbob

mktye + 1 [+2]

hannah + 1

mdt

txaggie

cjsadler

monica + 1

rhodegirl + 1

mcjb2 + 1

eunny jang

al dente +1

gnatharobed + 1 [+1]

can't make one or the other date but wants to come:

*tomdc

*laniloa

*hjshorter

*jennyuptown

*edited for new names & new analogies.

Edited by babka (log)

I can't plan that far ahead. But I'm interested +1. Lemme know what date you decide and I'll do my best to make it fit my schedule.

Unless there is a major calamity, once I commit, I'll be there.

But if you need my credit card number, here it is:

4567 8901 2345 6789

Exp 9/06 :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I can't plan that far ahead. But I'm interested +1. Lemme know what date you decide and I'll do my best to make it fit my schedule.

Unless there is a major calamity, once I commit, I'll be there.

But if you need my credit card number, here it is:

4567 8901 2345 6789

Exp 9/06 :raz:

Good, I can bring the GF copies of what you have been doing around here lately :raz:

Good, I can bring the GF copies of what you have been doing around here lately :raz:

She reads eGullet regularly.

Besides, what have I done that can be construed as the least bit objectionable?

:cool:

-- A.B.

She reads eGullet regularly.

Besides, what have I done that can be construed as the least bit objectionable?

:cool:

I doubt that Al's GF's parents would appreciate it if they knew there was discussion on eGullet of his butt.

I just looked at a calander and realized the Rosh Hashana starts on the 15th. This makes the 14th a little tricky for me.

I can do my cooking the weekend before, but is this a conflict for anyone else? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.

littlechinagirl, are you and The Manager joining us? I hope so! You can always leave him at the Diner if you need to :wink:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

I really don't like the idea of locking people in, or having them pay before hand. Emergencies happen, the car breaks down, the paper doesn't get written, etc.

I also think we need to go event by event. At some events (such as the Full Key dinner) it does not matter how many show up. Of course at others it does.

Somethings to think about: What is the restaurant expecting from us? Have they created a menu just for us and therefor need to guarantee revenue? Do they care how many people show up?

I was thinking more along the lines of a better contact system in case someone does have to back out.

I agree that this doesn't need to be and shouldn't be a blanket policy. There are many instances where it really won't matter that much to either our group or the restaurant. In this case, where we are taking over a restaurant on a night they are normally closed, I think it is our responsibility to live up to our end of things. Coupled with a better contact system and we've got a good carrot and stick that will help encourage people to make the call to pull someone off the waitlist and minimize the no-shows for less-then-emergency reasons. That said, we want to make it as easy as possible for people-- wait until a day or so before to lock people in so we don't have to deal with the numerous inevitable changes to plans that will happen over the next few weeks.

My problem with the 14th is the same as yours -- I'll already be out of town for the holiday.

I'd love to join in-we've just moved back & I'm so happy to be here-thanks to chef Gillian for taking us on (I hope she's in on this!) Barring anything unusual, we should (myself & partner) be available on Tuesday evenings in Sept., I look forward to finding a babysitter & escaping suburbia...Linda

Let's talk menu. Is there anything you would like to request? We are still working out the details with Chef and Robin but need suggestions.

Let's talk menu. Is there anything you would like to request? We are still working out the details with Chef and Robin but need suggestions.

Pork.

-- A.B.

Deviled eggs. :biggrin:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

The Sept 21 date might work best , it's removed from both the Labor day weekend and Rosh Hashanah. Thoughts ?

Shrimp and grits...and maybe "the Best of Chef" tasting menu, a little pork, a little meatloaf, maybe a little fried chicken, mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus...DAMN, is it lunchtime yet !!!

Okay, the 7th it is.

This date works best for CK so we are letting them make the final decision. So who is in?

At the request of the Colorado Kitchen crew:

Up to 45 eGulleters of PC, non-PC, martian, and other persuasions, are hereby invited to crash Colorado Avenue on September 7th for an evening of raging controversy and rambunctious food.

The Chef's preparing a menu at $30 a head, plus tax, tip, and wine, and we will ask people to prepay, please. We'll get you the total cost and the menu in a few days.

20, more or less

babka

hillvalley

laniloa

Nadya

Bilrus + 1

Al_Dente + 1

iamthestretch

eunny jang

Chef Shogun

rhodegirl + 1

Hannah + 1