• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Colorado Kitchen

babka

If you did not receive an email from me this morning please EMAIL me asap. (Just click the button at the bottom of this post.) I need to make sure I have a live email address to send the Paypal info. to. My world is just too crazy right now to hunt all of you down. (This is my busy season, or one of them anyway.)

Paypal takes a few days to process payment with new customers so I would like to send out the payment email by Sept. 1st. I also would like to give the Chef a final head count as soon as possible.

Finally, there are a couple of maybes floating around out there. Please let me know if I should include you. Thanks.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

If you did not receive an email from me this morning please EMAIL me asap. (Just click the button at the bottom of this post.) I need to make sure I have a live email address to send the Paypal info. to. My world is just too crazy right now to hunt all of you down. (This is my busy season, or one of them anyway.)

Paypal takes a few days to process payment with new customers so I would like to send out the payment email by Sept. 1st. I also would like to give the Chef a final head count as soon as possible.

Finally, there are a couple of maybes floating around out there. Please let me know if I should include you. Thanks.

<soapbox>

If you do not have a PayPal account, Just sign up for a one now (its free). This will reduce the craziness for everyone.

</soapbox>

My $.02...

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Unfortunately a few people have had to drop out. So, if you were thinking of joining us but did not know if there was room here is your chance.

To all of you who were concerned they would be the only new kid on the block: There are a number of new eG'ers coming so you won't be the only one. And I promise that the old timers will explain their jokes and be nice to the new kids.

Thanks Rocks.

Okay, for those of you who sent me emails, thanks BUT..........I only know you as your handles (screen names). If you send me an email without any indication who you are on egullet that does me no good. So, please make sure your handle is included. There are a couple of you who did this so please let me know who you are. I do not have the time to send emails back and forth to figure out who you are.

If I have not heard from you by WEDNESDAY you will not be included on the final list. I need all payments by FRIDAY at the absolute latest, unless you have emailed me. Also, your Paypal email is confirmation that I got your email.

School starts in 39 hours and I just don't have the time to email everyone personal confirmations. You will not hear from me unless there is a problem.

Happy Monday :smile:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

I have not heard from you by WEDNESDAY you will not be included on the final list. I need all payments by FRIDAY at the absolute latest, unless you have email med. Also, your Paypal email is confirmation that I got your email.

sorry - i'm new at this and a little confused. are we awaiting instructions on how to pay via paypal? i.e. will you be providing a link specific to this event?

thanks,

giuinha

No problem, I am glad you asked.

You should have recieved an email from me via PayPal. Just follow the directions on the email (you will have to sign up for an account) to send a payment.

Let me know if it doesn't work.

One more thing. PLEASE let me know if your PayPal account is through a different email that the one you used to contact me. This will clear up a whole lot of confusion (I hope :wacko: ) Thanks

Me again. Are you sick of me yet :wink:

I have not heard from the following people or you have sent me an email and I cannot connect it to your screen name.

laniloa

ledervin

MCJB2 +1

otello + 1

roger troutman

silentbob

woodleygrrl

Let me know if you are still interested :smile:

A not-very-substantive post just to express my appreciation for the wonderful hillvalley and babka for putting this whole thing together. See you all on the 7th.

Despite being an instigator of this broohaha, I sadly cannot make it. Have fun!

It is $42 a head which includes tax, tip and PayPal fees. I have not heard the latest update on the menu, but the last time I checked it involved very delicious, but not scary food. You won't be disappointed and nothing that would cause you to go running.

Guess who?

Okay, if I haven't heard from you by now I am assuming you are bailing on us.

There are a few of you who were still making up their minds. Time to decide. You have until 5pm at Thursday unless you email me.

There are a bunch of you who have not paid. Payment is due NO LATER than Friday. No payment, no dinner. You can email me if you aren't sure. I cannot check PM's so don't. If you and I have already talked about payment ignore the previous 5 sentences.

Thank you to those who have followed the directions and are all done. :biggrin:

On to a much better topic. I will post the Chef's wine recommendations on Friday. There are a number of courses and she has made recommentdations for most. If you are looking for people to share a bottle or two of wine I encourage you to figure it out here. We have a number of people coming alone so feel free to invite people to share yours.

Finally, I am sad to say that I do not think either special guest will be able to make an appereance :sad: You'll have to forgive them but they have good excuses.

I apologize if none of this made sense but it was the first day of school and I am still recovering.

If you're coming across the river from Virginia, take the Memorial Bridge to the Rock Creek Parkway and continue North past the Zoo and Peirce Mill until you get off at Blagden Ave. Take that until it ends on 16th St. Turn left, proceed North a few blocks and start looking for parking. I recommend the 1400 block (first right off 16th) of either Madison St. or Longfellow St. Just past the tennis amphitheater. If you're coming in from the Beltway, get off at the Georgia Ave. exit and take that South a mile or so until 16th St. forks off to the right. Take that for several miles past Walter Reed Army Hospital and over Military Road, then look to park as above. CK is about a two block walk at 5515 Colorado Ave. If you prefer public transport, take the Green Line to Columbia Heights Metro station and transfer to the 52, 53 or 54 bus going North on 14th St. That'll drop you at the corner of 14th and Colorado, a block from the restaurant. Or there's the Red Line to Silver Spring and the S2 or S4 bus to 16th and Colorado, but that's a longer ride and walk. Did I miss anything?

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

anyone else open to the idea of doing a beer tasting with the menu? Start off with a nice pilsner or lager, move into a Sierra Pale Ale, and then some kind of Belgium ale.

of course this will be easier to do once we know the menu

Lets just get a keg. :biggrin:

I ran into a fellow eGulleteer at Firefly last night and we discussed a pre-meal bar outing. Any ideas? John W. offered to pour some wine for us a while back, but I thought perhaps somewhere closer to CO Kitchen would be better. Not much to pick from though...

thoughts?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Does anyone know if the Fresh Fields near 14th Street sells single bottles of beer like the locations in Virginia.

No, they don't. I was told it's illegal for them to sell single beers, even the 750ml ones (occationally, they specially package those 750ml Stoudt's beers as a two-pack to get around this law).

Chris Sadler

of course this will be easier to do once we know the menu

I am not planning to post the menu :biggrin: But I will give vague outlines of the courses. Part of the fun of the Ray's event was not knowing exactly what was coming. I have wine recommendations from the Chef that she feels will go with the meal.

The comments on the wine are straight out of an email:

We are starting with a reception that sound like it will give people a chance to talk before the meal.

*A dry white wine would be good here.

Then a salad

*Chef sides with Julia here, no wine with a salad

Appetizers (for lack of a better word) Seafood and Landfood are involved hence the two suggestions

*Chef loves a Pouilly Fuisse and a good burgundy or Cabernet

Main Course

*Chef recommends a soft quiet red

Dessert

There you go. Enjoy

(If you really want to know more details and swear on your keyboard that you won't tell anyone else I will send more info :wink:)

Nice to see the upgrade went well and quicker than expected!

Anyway I am looking to see if anyone wants to coordinate wines to bring so that we can share and try different ones. PM me or post here.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.