• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding help needed!

sara

Hi

Thanks everyone for all of your help! I've pretty much decided on Manna at this point--they are super-helpful and their menus are great--and am working on choosing between 2 locations--the Philo and a new place out in Radnor.

I'll keep you posted!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

it sounds like it may be too late to be of use, but i should say that we got married in the summer of 2001 at Awbury Arboretum in Germantown, which was a wonderful place which had a lot in common with Bartram's but which we preferred, mostly for intangible reasons. We also used Shackamaxxon catering, and were very very happy with the choice. They were much better at customizing and working with us than a lot of other places seemed to be, and had great food at relatively cheap prices!

"We Don't Throw Stones"

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks everyone for all of your help!  I've pretty much decided on Manna at this point--they are super-helpful and their menus are great--and am working on choosing between 2 locations--the Philo and a new place out in Radnor.

I'll keep you posted!

Congratulations,

It might seem a little funky. The Mummer's Museum in south philly has a terrific banquet space. You have to be willing to decorate as it's a blank space. It does have a nice bar though. I'm having my wedding there in Jan. and they offered us a great deal. $1500 for site rental, 4hr. open bar for 75ppl - $8.50 a head after that, 2 bartenders plus custodial(clean-up). We can bring in any caterer we choose and can serve any wine we choose. We just have to have their steward order it for us. We pay for it and can take home what we don't use. The staff couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. Believe me, as you go through the planning process, that in itself is worth it's weight in gold. Best of Luck!

Congratulations,

It might seem a little funky. The Mummer's Museum in south philly has a terrific banquet space. You have to be willing to decorate as it's a blank space. It does have a nice bar though. I'm having my wedding there in Jan. and they offered us a great deal. $1500 for site rental, 4hr. open bar for 75ppl - $8.50 a head after that, 2 bartenders plus custodial(clean-up). We can bring in any caterer we choose and can serve any wine we choose. We just have to have their steward order it for us. We pay for it and can take home what we don't use. The staff couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. Believe me, as you go through the planning process, that in itself is worth it's weight in gold.    Best of Luck!

Good suggestion. My guess is that ordering wine for you still means from the PA liquor board catalogue, at PA prices. That's my deal at the Philo. PA's prices are WAY above those in other states-- i.e. if you went to Jersey and bought Chateau St Michelle Riesling it'd be $7.50-8/bottle, but in PA it's like $9. Something like that.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Congratulations,

It might seem a little funky. The Mummer's Museum in south philly has a terrific banquet space. You have to be willing to decorate as it's a blank space. It does have a nice bar though. I'm having my wedding there in Jan. and they offered us a great deal. $1500 for site rental, 4hr. open bar for 75ppl - $8.50 a head after that, 2 bartenders plus custodial(clean-up). We can bring in any caterer we choose and can serve any wine we choose. We just have to have their steward order it for us. We pay for it and can take home what we don't use. The staff couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful. Believe me, as you go through the planning process, that in itself is worth it's weight in gold.    Best of Luck!

I'm wondering if you got that the site for that price because it's January as opposed to prime wedding season in Spring.

Note: most wine shops will take back the unopened alcohol, although you should check on that when you buy it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

First of all, thank you so much for all of your help with all of these ideas and such. Being not in the area at the moment, it really was great to have people on the ground with feedback and suggestions.

But Liam and I have decided to alter our plans and get married here in Madison WI instead. The difference in price is TREMENDOUS--you can get the best places here for well under $800; many are free, and the food prices are so much lower. Most importantly tho, we're both living here now, and it's so much easier to plan closer to home.

So, while I'll miss the opportunity to get married in your lovely city, and to have special treats like a rehearsal dinner at Rx, I think in the long run I'll be a saner woman for it!

Miss y'all!!

Sara

-- William Grimes

• 6 years later...

Since I got engaged over the weekend, seems like a good time to dust off this old thread. I don't know the first thing about planning for a wedding, I only know that the only thing people care about afterwards seem to be the music and the food. Clearly I'm interested in some good food too and I wanted to know if anyone has any updates or new recommendations to add to this thread. We're still super early in the planning process and don't have a solid plan yet, but we're probably looking at a minimum of 200 people with a max of $100 a head. This can all change, I just wanted to lay out a loose guideline. Thanks for your help!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

Tim:

I'm a little late to the party, but congrats my friend!! Excited for you! Let me know if I can help you out, or at least buy you a congratulatory drink. I know lots of venues and several caterers that might be helpful in planning rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, receptions, etc. Let me know what I can do...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol