• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bridge Kitchenware

Stone

Having discovered that I work a block from Bridge Kitchenware, I've manged to treble the daily cost of leaving the office. That place has bloody everything.

They've also just opened a "discount" section upstairs. It looks like an old, dusty warehouse piled with old dusty stuff. There are tons of molds, pans, cake spatulas, and glasses, many at $1-$2 per. I happened to pick up a 14.3" Demeyere saucepan for $50.

...discovered that I work a block from Bridge Kitchenware...  They've also just opened a "discount" section upstairs. 

My friend, you are in grave danger!! Watch your wallet in those parts. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Actually, responding to both Curlz and Tommy, I have always found their prices very reasonable... for what you get. And what you get, mostly, is high-end professional stuff. High-end restaurant stuff is not, as a rule of thumb, particularly inexpensive.

--

Actually, responding to both Curlz and Tommy, I have always found their prices very reasonable... for what you get. And what you get, mostly, is high-end professional stuff. High-end restaurant stuff is not, as a rule of thumb, particularly inexpensive.

absolutely. and you can look through their bins and pick up utensils and stuff that will last a lifetime and cost a few bucks. it's not the prettiest place, nor should it be, but you can spend an entire day in there. i know because i have. :laugh:

They've also just opened a "discount" section upstairs. It looks like an old, dusty warehouse piled with old dusty stuff. There are tons of molds, pans, cake spatulas, and glasses, many at $1-$2 per. I happened to pick up a 14.3" Demeyere saucepan for $50.

Thanks for the "danger" alert.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 9 months later...

Bridge is running a moving sale on all items from 6/1/05 through 6/7/05. 30% off suggested retail. I'm not sure that this offer is any bargain. What is the practical meaning of "suggested retail"?

"Suggested retail" means "the price at which the manufacturer suggests vendors sell the product."

Some products, for example, are deliberately priced high because high prices are associated with perceptions of high value. For this reason, manufacturers often will not give vendors "authorized retailer" status (which is necessary for the manufacturer's warranty to be valid) unless they sell at the suggested retail price.

What Bridge is saying is that they are selling at 30% below that price. It's unclear, however, whether this is always going to beat other prices. Amazon.com, for example, is offering some pieces at up to 48% off the suggested price.

--

Oooh, are they still nasty? I used to work around the corner at Broadway Diner and I too would spend quite a bit of down time there....

"moving sale?" Is the store moving?

"moving sale?"  Is the store moving?

As per their site:

We are Moving!! July 1st we will open our new location at 711 3rd Ave., enter on 45th.

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

Actually, responding to both Curlz and Tommy, I have always found their prices very reasonable... for what you get.  And what you get, mostly, is high-end professional stuff.  High-end restaurant stuff is not, as a rule of thumb, particularly inexpensive.

absolutely. and you can look through their bins and pick up utensils and stuff that will last a lifetime and cost a few bucks. it's not the prettiest place, nor should it be, but you can spend an entire day in there. i know because i have. :laugh:

Bridge is the greatest and expensive? I think not!!! I'm on the west coast and I've purchased quite a few items from them and even with shipping, prices are not outrageous.

As far as not being the prettiest place, I beg to differ. But I always have preferred the rustic look to prim neatness. To me, Bridge Kitchenware is a thing of beauty!

Which reminds me, someone borrowed my catalog and hasn't returned it...if whoever I loaned it to reads this, please return asap. :wink:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Which reminds me, someone borrowed my catalog and hasn't returned it...if whoever I loaned it to reads this, please return asap.  :wink:

Kit - I'm going there at lunch time today to check it out as I work a block away..I would be happy to pick up and send you a catalog in the mail today if you want to pm me your addy. Just call me shopping enabler :biggrin:

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS