• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speaking of Bobolink Dairy...

Walked down to Union Square from work to scout out some lunch today. Bobolink Dairy has become a fixture in the greenmarket, so I decided to buy some of their cheese for a light lunch: First, a thin wedge of their Pancake Cheese, a soft, creamy cows-milk cheese with a bumpy, grey rind. Also got a small block of their cheddar, not too sharp and softer than my usual favorite (Cabot). Got some bread to eat with it and am very happy right now.

Has anyone been to their cheese/breadmaking workshop? I was signed up to go last November but couldn't make it at the last minute. I will probably sign myself up again but wanted to know if anyone has been and could share their experiences?

thanks...

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I haven't been to or heard of this dairy, but I just signed up for a 3-day cheesemaking course in October at Farmstead Dairy in Warren, VT. They may still have openings (they offer a September class too). You can get the info off of the ShawGuides.com web site.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Hi:

I have visited Bobolink Dairy several times and taken his basic workshop. In my experience, Jonathan is both a warm host and a real expert.

The only other comment I will make is that although the farm is a must-visit for cheese fans and located in the state of New Jersey, it is astoundingly remote. Visiting Bobolink will change your perception of New Jersey in more ways than one.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

I haven't been to the classes, but I worked with Jonathan at an Outstanding in the Field farm dinner last October. (He brought the cheeses and bread, which I photographed.) He is a lovely man, filled with light and joy, and I would take a class in a heartbeat if it meant spending time with someone like that. Do it.

What nice pictures, tanabutler. I will be signing myself up for that cheesemaking workshop (and then trying to make a reservation at the new Blue Hill in Westchester).

And, well, I already know what a fantastically diverse state New Jersey is--something I realized as a 10-year-old hiking with my father and sisters along the Appalachian Trail in Sussex County. :smile:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

So did anyone order their Yak's-milk cheese from Tibet a couple years back?

No, but I plan to start a band called the Tibetan Yak Cheese Project. :raz: I'm hoping that Tommy will be our front man.

Sorry, but I burst out laughing when I read that project name!! I don't care how legit and cool the project is, that's just FUNNY. I can hear the kids now... "Dude...have you heard the new Tibetan Yak Cheese Project cd? It ROCKS." :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

For those who haven't made the connection, the folks at Bobolink are actually"old friends" of eGullet. They hosted us last year for our big NY/NJ combination Pig BBQ and Potluck, and are doing so again next month.

Jason Perlow and Ellen Shapiro have also taken, and posted, extensive photo spreads of their operation, and Jonathan himself has posted here, although he's somewhat scattered about it.

One caution. If you weren't able to find the old Bobolink topic, it's because we all rely on that little "Google eG" tool too much, I think. :biggrin: It misses a lot of older stuff, as well as the very newest.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"