• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Fat Guy

World's best carrot-cake recipe

Now I know why I don't make carrot cakes more often. It took me two #$^&*@ hour to hand grate the carrots.

Katie and Varmint, you guys are right. The frog commissionary carrot cake os out of this world. And, I don't feel one bit of guilt eating it since I technically worked off the calories in advance by grating those damn carrots.

The perfect carrot cake recipe............you'll never find one that everyone agrees on, not on this subject.

Actually I think so much of our preferences comes from previous experience. What I seek in a great carrot cake recipe probably ties back to some memory of a piece I once had. I can't be open minded from there. Sure I've tried alot of carrot cake recipes inluding newier versions with fresh ginger or cakes that just happen to contain carrots........but none of them seem right-they don't match that old memory. I gotta give these other carrot cakes a different name......they just aren't traditional enough for me....even though I like them.

My defination of a traditional carrot cake must include: carrots, chopped nuts, pineapple, coconut and cinnamon. You can play around with using butter or not, buttermilk or not. etc....but it's gotta have those 5 main flavors for my defination. Then lastly it's gotta have cream cheese frosting............anything else and every midwesterner would rebel! It's ying and yang would be out of balance.

Oh and this does count as 1 serving of vegetable on the food chart........

Grated carrots that have started to ferment... you know how they get the foam. That makes the most flavorfal carrot cake i've ever had. It actually tastes like... carrots

I decided to make GG's recipe tonight. Pretty good for the second type of cake I've ever tried. (The first being cheesecake.)

Here are the cakes coming out of the oven:

i10775.jpg

More bubbles than I expected, and I think they're a tad over done.

Here's the finished frosted cake:

i10779.jpg

I didn't chill the icing enough, so it dripped a bit.

Here's a big piece o' cake;

i10780.jpg

I was surprised at how good it is. The cake isn't very sweet, which offered a good contrast to the icing. It needed the ginger flavor to come out more, but I had a bitch of a time grating the ginger. I was using the grating side of my cheese grater, and ended up filling up all the holes on the grater with ginger mash and getting a puddle of ginger water underneath.

But I'm pretty happy with the cake. Now I'll throw it out so I don't eat it all. :biggrin:

Edited by Stone (log)

It actually tastes like... carrots

Huh, you want it to taste like carrots, well then that version counts for a whole days servings a veg.'s.

Carrot cake has always been one of my favorite desserts. I've only baked my own once, using a recipe on Epicurious. Could someone post a pic of the Frog Commissionary cake? I'm interested in trying that next...the pecan cream filling sounds divine! :biggrin:

Clearly there's a lot of room for personal preference here, but just speaking for myself this is what I would see as the ideal carrot cake:

- Very traditional carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, nuts, and raisins -- no twists or variations

- Very moist cake

- Lots and lots of raisins and many nuts but with the raisins dominant

- Neither cake nor frosting to be sickly sweet

- Cake to be formed in layers so there's frosting throughout

In my experience, carrot cake does not traditionally include raisins. Pineapple, coconut and nuts yes, but raisins would tend to dominate the carrot too much and turn it into more of a generic spice cake.

To the Frog Commissary carrot cake fans--

When you guys do the cake, do you do it with the sweet filling in the middle? I remember eating the cake at the Commissary and later making it to complaints that the filling was just too rich and too sweet (is there such a thing?) Admittedly, this feedback came from my husband, who also told me that my brownies were too chocolatey. WHat do your tasters say???

Just to add more confusion, I did a carrot cake taste-off last winter with three carrot cakes--the commissary one (without the filling but with the frosting), Nick Malgieri's carrot cake, and the one from cook's illustrated, where you use the food processor. Nick's won hands down (uses ginger, which gives it a little something special), along with RLB's white chocolate cream cheese buttercream. We use NIck's in the bakery, but use it with the commissary frosting, and there have been no complaints.

In a few weeks, I'll try a taste-off with our customers and let you know what they say.

Marjorie

I ended up scraping out the filling in the middle of my frog commissionary cake. It was too sweet.

This is the ultimate carrot cake, and I do believe it meets all of your requirements.....or at least mine! It's flavorful and rich, but not heavy like a carrot bread. It's got plenty of raisins and walnuts and does not dare leave out the pineapple like so many other carrot cake recipes.

The icing is good too. It's got the cream cheese AND the butter AND the lemon juice, unlike those sad-sack cream cheese icings that use only cream cheese and sugar. This one's the best.

You could play with it if you feel so inclined, but it really doesn't need any crystallized ginger or maple or other foofiness. The cup and a half of butter ensures goodness in every bite.

Note: I always plump the raisins in the juice from the drained pineapple.

Mrs. Fields Carrot Cake

2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour

1 tbs Baking soda

1/4 tsp Salt

2 tsp Cinnamon

1 cup Light brown sugar, packed

1 cup White sugar

1 1/2 cup Butter, softened

3 large Eggs

2 tsp Pure vanilla extract

3 cups Grated carrots

1/2 cup Crushed pineapple, drained

1 cup (6-oz.) raisins

1 cup (4-oz.) chopped walnuts

ICING

16 oz Cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup Salted butter, softened

1 tbsp Fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)

2 tsp Pure vanilla extract

3 cups Confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.

In a large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugars. Add butter, one egg and vanilla; blend with electric mixer on low speed. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. And remaining eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each addition. Add carrots, pineapple, raisins and walnuts. Blend on low until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Bake in center of oven for 60-70 minutes. Toothpick inserted into center should come out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Then invert cakes on rack and cool to room temperature.

Icing: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth add lemon juice and vanilla; beat until combined. Add sugar gradually, mixing on low until smooth.

Place one layer on a cake platter, and with a metal spatula spread icing over the top to form a thin filling. Place second layer over the first, rounded side up. Coat the top and sides of the cake evenly with remaining icing. Refrigerate 1 hour to set icing.

I ended up scraping out the filling in the middle of my frog commissionary cake. It was too sweet.

I didn't even get that far with the recipe... mine never did thicken beyond the consistency of the cream. What a waste of time -- and my last pint of heavy cream. :hmmm:

When I first read the Pecan Cream Filling recipe, I thought it looked vaguely familiar so I did some cookbook searching... bingo! With few discrepancies, it's nearly identical to Baker's Coconut-Pecan Filling for their German Chocolate Cake.

Soooo it was back to the stove with a few changes to the Pecan Cream Filling -- I'll post here what I came up with. It's excellent in the Frog Commissary Carrot Cake; not overly sweet and blends famously with the other flavors. "A definite keeper", sez carrot cake connoisseur hubby!

Caramel Pecan Filling

2 C. brown sugar (I use dark)

1/2 C. A/P flour, sifted

1/2 tsp. salt

1-1/2 C. milk (cream, if preferred)

1/2 C. unsalted butter

1-1/2 - 2 C. nuts, chopped

1 tsp. vanilla

Cook, stirring frequently, all ingredients (except nuts) on stovetop at low-medium heat approximately 20-30 minutes, or until creamy and smooth. Cool to room temperature, then stir in chopped nuts. I would not recommend refrigerating.

Since I too love "everything" in a carrot cake, the assembly order (from bottom to top) that I followed is:

Layer of cake

Spread with:

1/2 of a 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained

Caramel Pecan Filling, spread to a thickness of 1/2-3/4"

Sprinkling of coconut, to taste

Repeat layering until top cake layer is in place, then ice the entire cake with CC Icing.

Fat Guy, no reason you can't add icing between the layers as well. :smile:

On it's own, I don't see the Frog Commissary cake as anything special to write home about. The filling is a definite asset... and my layering of the ingredients that were "missing" from the cake recipe gives it a current rating of m'm'm'm'm'm good.

Di

When you guys do the cake, do you do it with the sweet filling in the middle? I remember eating the cake at the Commissary and later making it to complaints that the filling was just too rich and too sweet (is there such a thing?)

In my earlier post, I noted that I thought that the old recipe I had was nearly identical to the linked recipe, only it called for different proportions of ingredients. I have always felt that the recipe I had was too sweet, although I don't remember having that complaint when I ate the cake at The Commissary.

It now appears that the new recipe is still too sweet, even though it has less sugar than mine did.

Although this goes back many years, something tells me that the true filling recipe for this cake has never been released to the public.

For those within a reasonable drive of Philadelphia, finished Commisary Carrot Cakes can be purchased from Frog-Commisary Caterers.

all this discussion on carot cake brings to mind the fact that carrots from different areas taste quite different. for example, my husband and i drink freshly made carrot juice each morning. we have found that the sweetest juice comes from california carrots. we have compared fresh carrot juice from new jersey carrots, michigan carrots, canadian carrots, florida carrots, etc. the california carrots rule! no other carrots are as sweet. so i was thinking that the carrot cake bake-off should use carrots all from the same state otherwise it will be hard to compare tastes.

aliénor

Although I make no claims to fame, I know what I like in a good carrot cake: spicy, moist, raisins, nuts, pineapple and coconut. However, when making this cake for parties, I generally leave the raisins out since so many people seem to dislike raisins. I have over the years developed and refined this recipe for my family:

Michael Lloyd’s Carrot Cake

5 eggs

2 ¾ cups sugar (2 cups white and ¾ cups brown)

1 ¼ lbs. shredded carrot

1 ½ cups vegetable oil

3 cups all-purpose flour (dip and sweep)

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup raisins

2 cups chopped walnuts

2 cups shredded coconut

20 oz. crushed pineapple with juice

Zest of one orange

Mix together: eggs, sugar, carrot and oil. Stir together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and blend into carrot mixture. Stir in raisins, walnuts, coconut, pineapple and orange zest.

Spread into a greased 9” x 13” baking pan or divide evenly amongst three greased and floured 8” pans. Bake @ 325º for one hour and 10 minutes or until tester in center of cake comes out clean. The cake will be moist. Cool on rack and spread with frosting.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

½ cup softened butter

1 cup powdered sugar

16 oz. cream cheese

3 tablespoons lemon juice

Beat together until smooth

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

1 cup softened butter

16 oz. cream cheese

12 oz. white chocolate

Melt the white chocolate and cool until lukewarm. Beat the butter and cream cheese until well mixed. Stir in the melted chocolate and beat until fluffy.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

These posts remind me of my carrot cake story.

A few years ago when I was living in France, I often visited friends who lived in the country. Many of their neighbors had never met an American before. As an American I often surprised French people by talking about a cake made of carrots, which never failed to surprise them as they didn't know it and thought that was a bizarre idea.

So, one time while I was visiting I made a carrot cake for some of these French people. As I was making the batter, my friend Mireille was watching. When I added somewhere around 1 cup of oil, her jaw hit the floor. She was aghast. The idea of carrots in cake she could handle, but putting cooking oil in a cake was a shock. I assured her I was following the recipe.

Later, after dinner, as we all had carrot cake -- which everybody loved -- Mireille turned to me and she said, "I love your oil cake!"

The following year after the oil cake, a French friend found a French recipe for carrot cake which had no oil in it and very little butter. It was made with whipped egg whites. I'm going to see if I cannot find that recipe and post it here.

I agree with the French people now -- The majority of the above recipes call for about a CUP of oil. "We want the cake moist" people say. Oil makes a cake oily. If you want a moist cake, add butter and not oil.

By the way, a true carrot cake does not have sugary frosting. It has cream cheese in the PLACE of frosting (with no sugar added).

Oil makes a cake oily. If you want a moist cake, add butter and not oil.

Yes, I agree. So why is it that so many carrot cake recipes are made with oil rather than butter? I have always abhorred the use of oil in carrot cakes and typically substitute 1/2 or all of the oil with melted butter. I find that butter helps to hide that chemical taste of leavenings that oil does nothing to mask.

Is it because carrot cake is supposed to be healthy, so the fats in the cake come from an unsaturated fat source?

Oil makes a cake oily.  If you want a moist cake, add butter and not oil.

Yes, I agree. So why is it that so many carrot cake recipes are made with oil rather than butter? I have always abhorred the use of oil in carrot cakes and typically substitute 1/2 or all of the oil with melted butter. I find that butter helps to hide that chemical taste of leavenings that oil does nothing to mask.

Is it because carrot cake is supposed to be healthy, so the fats in the cake come from an unsaturated fat source?

The recipe I make, UCLA Carrot Cake (see first page of this thread) is made with butter and it is not as sweet as some of the other carrot cakes I have had. I make it without raisins.

Yes, I think carrot cake originated in a period when health-foods were all the craze. Wasn't it very popular in the 70s? Carrot cake as health-food -- that's a laugh!

So now I am quite intrigued by the postings that suggest to substitute butter for the oil in the carrot cake recipes. However, I note that some bakers here suggest either a full or half substitution of the oil with butter. I wonder which way I should go. Would using only butter change the taste or texture too much?

So now I am quite intrigued by the postings that suggest to substitute butter for the oil in the carrot cake recipes.  However, I note that some bakers here suggest either a full or half substitution of the oil with butter.  I wonder which way I should go.  Would using only butter change the taste or texture too much?

Whatever you do, use melted butter instead of creamed butter, to keep the characteristically dense texture of carrot cake. Creaming the butter would give a totally different, fluffy texture.

I use half butter and half vegetable oil, but you should experiment to see what you like. You might find that substituting butter for all the vegetable oil results in a cake with too much butter flavor. After all, there is a LOT of vegetable oil in most carrot cake recipes. (I must confess, my favorite carrot cake recipe is one that I developed by including only 2/3 the fat (i.e., vegetable oil) called for in the usual recipe, and substituting butter for half of the oil.)

Edited by browniebaker (log)

I am very depressed that no one wants to try the recipe I suggested. :sad:

I made your cake! It was an interesting cake that used 100% butter...the cake reminded me of the fabulous Emily Luchetti's Grandmother's Apple Cake I had once at Farallon restaurant...slightly caramel-y tasting with a slightly sticky exterior. I liked it better than the apple cake, in fact.

It seemed to be ready at 40 minutes, but I left it in there for the full 60 minutes (like what the recipe said) and the caramel taste fully developed. The cardamom was a nice touch.

It's not the classic carrot cake that comes to mind for carrot cakes (like the Southern Living recipe or Frog Commissary cakes), but it's good in it's own right. It was too sweet for me though.

I made your cake! It was an interesting cake that used 100% butter...the cake reminded me of the fabulous Emily Luchetti's Grandmother's Apple Cake I had once at Farallon restaurant...slightly caramel-y tasting with a slightly sticky exterior. I liked it better than the apple cake, in fact.

It seemed to be ready at 40 minutes, but I left it in there for the full 60 minutes (like what the recipe said) and the caramel taste fully developed. The cardamom was a nice touch.

It's not the classic carrot cake that comes to mind for carrot cakes (like the Southern Living recipe or Frog Commissary cakes), but it's good in it's own right. It was too sweet for me though.

I am happy that you tried the cake. The truth is, since I have moved to Israel I have been reducing the sugar on most of my American cake recipes. I would probably cut the sugar to 1 1/4 cups for the cake batter.

I would also cut the powdered sugar in the frosting to 3/4 of a cup.

It has been a while since I have made the cake.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      BANOFFE - MY DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

This year, mischievous nature tried to upset my daughter's birthday plans. Spending your birthday in bed with a thermometer isn't an excellent idea ¬– even for an adult. For a teenager it is a drama comparable to cancelled holidays. My daughter told me that you are thirteen only once. And she was right. Literally and figuratively.

I wanted to sugar the pill for her on this day and cheer her up for a bit, so I prepared a caramel cake with bananas – banoffee in the form of a small birthday cake. My sweet magic and the dinner from her favourite restaurant worked, and in the end her birthday was quite nice.

Ingredients (17cm cake tin):
      150g of biscuits
      75g of butter
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      250g of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of caster sugar
      2 bananas
      300g of fudge
      1 teaspoon of dark cocoa

Break the biscuits into very small pieces or blend them. Melt the butter and mix it up with the biscuits until you have dough like wet sand. Put it into a cake tin and form the base. It is worth rolling it flat with a glass. Leave it in the fridge for one hour. Spread the biscuit layer with fudge and arrange the sliced bananas on top. Whisk the chilled sweet cream with the caster sugar. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix it in. Put the mixture onto the bananas and make it even. Sprinkle with the dark cocoa and decorate as you like. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours (best for the whole night).

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      COURGETTE MUFFINS WITH LEMON

Since I found the recipe for courgette muffins with lemon on the Polish blog gotujzcukiereczkiem I decided to prepare them. My children looked at the ingredients with surprise. Courgette and cakes don't go together well. The argument that they add caster sugar to the courgette pancakes didn't convince them. The muffins reminded my husband of the lemon cake his grandma used to prepare many years ago. I just liked them. They were short lived, because they disappeared in no time, slightly lemony, moist and not too sweet. They were perfect.

If I didn't know they had courgette in them, I would never believe it. Try it, because it is worth it.

Ingredients (for 12 muffins)
      muffins
      200g of flour
      a pinch of salt
      half a teaspoon of baking soda
      half a teaspoon of baking powder
      150g of sugar
      peel from one lemon
      a tablespoon of lemon juice
      2 eggs
      150ml of oil
      a teaspoon of vanilla essence
      a teaspoon of lemon essence
      210g of grated courgette
      icing:
      3 tablespoons of milk
      10 tablespoons of caster sugar
      1 teaspoon of lemon essence

Heat the oven up to 170C. Put some paper muffin moulds into the "dimples" of a baking pan for muffins.
      Mix together the dry ingredients of the muffins: flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix together the sugar and lemon peel in a separate bowl. Add the eggs, oil, lemon juice and both essences. Mix them in. Add the dry ingredients and mix them in. Grate the unpeeled courgette, don't squeeze and don't pour away the liquid. Add the courgette to the dough and mix it in. Put the dough into some paper muffin moulds. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Now prepare the icing. Mix the milk with the caster sugar and lemon essence. Decorate the muffins with the lemon icing.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      MILLET GROATS CHOCOLATE CREME WITH CRANBERRY MOUSSE

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for the best chocolate crème I have ever eaten. It is thick, smooth and very chocolaty in flavour and colour. Despite the chocolate, the dessert isn't too sweet. But if somebody thinks that it is, I recommend serving it with slightly sour fruit mousse. You can use cherries, currants or cranberries. You will make an unusually yummy arrangement and your dessert will look beautiful.

My children were delighted with this dessert. I told them about the fact it had been made with millet groats after they had eaten it, and ... they didn't believe me. Next time I will prepare the millet groats crème with a double portion of ingredients.

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      chocolate crème
      100g of millet groats
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of dark cocoa
      250ml of almond milk
      fruit mousse
      250g of fresh cranberries
      juice and peel of one orange
      half a teaspoon of grated ginger
      4 tablespoons of brown sugar

Boil the millet groats in salty water and drain them. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie. Blend the millet groats, chocolate, cocoa and milk very thoroughly until you have very smooth crème. Pour the milk in gradually to make the right consistency of your desert. Prepare the fruit mousse. Put the washed cranberries, ginger, juice orange peel and sugar into a pot. Boil until the fruits are soft. Blend. Put the chocolate crème into some small bowls. Put the fruit mousse on top. Decorate with peppermint leaves. Serve at once or chilled.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      SWIFT HOMEMADE NAPOLEON

Sometimes we have days – may there be as few as possible – when nothing works out. I can even burn the water for tea. I have two ways of dealing with such days. The first is to sit in a corner and wait it out – maybe it will sort itself out. I can only do this when I'm alone. When I have a hungry family I have to look for another way. My second way is to use only well-known recipes and stick to them irregardless of how well I know them. Any experiments in this situation will end in failure.

Last weekend was just difficult. My husband helped me prepare dinner, but the dessert was my problem alone. Following the rules, I used a recipe for napoleon that is so simple there is no way you could fail. I recommend it to anyone struggling with creative impotence or who likes glamourous results after not too much effort in the kitchen.

Ingredients (for 9 napoleons)
      1 pack of chilled French pastry
      500ml of milk
      6 tablespoons of sugar
      1 packet of powdered blancmange
      50g of butter
      2 egg yolks
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      1 tablespoons of potato flour
      2 tablespoons of flour
      caster sugar

Heat the oven up to 180C. Cover a baking tray with some baking paper.
      Cut the French pastry in half. Bake one half for 20 minutes. Remove it from the tray. Cut the second part into 9 squares. A cake prepared in this way is easier to divide into portions. Put them on the paper and bake for 20 minutes.
      Now prepare the crème. Boil 400ml of the milk with the sugar, vanilla essence and butter. Mix the rest of the milk with the powdered blancmange, flour and potato flour and egg yolks. When the milk has boiled, take it off the heat and add it to the mixture, stirring constantly. Put it on the heat and boil, stirring until the mixture is coagulated. Take the pot off the heat. Put the warm mixture on the whole part of the French pasty and then cover it with the sliced part of the pastry. Cover the dessert with aluminium foil and leave in the fridge for a few hours. Cut and sprinkle with the caster sugar before serving.