• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nationwide search for a Jamie Oliver of wine

Gifted Gourmet

launching a nationwide quest to find a personality who will do for wine what Jamie Oliver did for cooking.  Hardys Wine Idol aims to find an outgoing personality who is "more of a wine whiz than a wine bore".The competition began today to find someone who can bring a new level of sophistication to British palates by educating them on the pleasures of wine. "We are seeking an ambassador for wine with the broad appeal of top TV personalities ...Jamie Oliver - someone with a strong and likeable character who is able to enthuse and inform people about wine." Organisers say entrants should be aged 25 to 35, charming and theatrical, with the personality to communicate aspects of the wine world.

and, presumably, have more than just a pretty face and a lot of pep? maybe even some idea about wines? asking too much?

A bubbly Rachel Ray of wines?? :rolleyes: (not the best choice of adjectives, I suppose...)

scroll down to read the second story on this ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

launching a nationwide quest to find a personality who will do for wine what Jamie Oliver did for cooking.  Hardys Wine Idol aims to find an outgoing personality who is "more of a wine whiz than a wine bore".The competition began today to find someone who can bring a new level of sophistication to British palates by educating them on the pleasures of wine. "We are seeking an ambassador for wine with the broad appeal of top TV personalities ...Jamie Oliver - someone with a strong and likeable character who is able to enthuse and inform people about wine." Organisers say entrants should be aged 25 to 35, charming and theatrical, with the personality to communicate aspects of the wine world.

and, presumably, have more than just a pretty face and a lot of pep? maybe even some idea about wines? asking too much?

A bubbly Rachel Ray of wines?? :rolleyes: (not the best choice of adjectives, I suppose...)

scroll down to read the second story on this ... :biggrin:

Where do I send my resume?

No really. If they'd pay me enough of a living wage to afford to live in London in the style to which I'm accustomed (or even a bit better) I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Where do I send my resume?

No really. If they'd pay me enough of a living wage to afford to live in London in the style to which I'm accustomed (or even a bit better) I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Will do a little research . .. in the meantime, spend time on youthful peppy workouts, probably using wine bottles (full) to tighten those abs .. watch Jamie and try to match his wacky enthusiasm ... yeah, I think this just might work out well for you, Katie!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I was going to nominate Katie--GO FOR IT!!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

OK everyone. Time to start the write-in campaign on my behalf. :biggrin:

But if tight abs are one of the job requirements I'd better back out now.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sounds like a job for me!

Can't say I'm particulary knowlegeable, but I'm sure I can make up for it with enthusiasm, and an unquenchable thirst for booze!

Can't do the Mockney I'm afraid, have to be more of a cheeky northern monkey.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

That's cheeky, not chunky!

I think I may have done my credentials irreparable damage with my admission of not having a functioning corkscrew (See other thread in the wine forum for details)

I love animals.

They are delicious.