• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montepulciano eats?

tooearly

Hey tooearly! Welcome to eGullet!!

Montelpucianco is a lovely town, lots of fun walking around, shopping and eating!

We've had some fantastic meals there...and I cannot remember the name of the restaurant...but you go in thru the main gate, and just up the main street a bit, there is a left hand, short alley that leads to a restaurant. Its a bit upscale, but worth it. If I can find the name in my notes, I'll pass it along.

Make sure you do not miss the chastity belt exhibit in the wine cellar/catacomb that is open for viewing. Makes you appreciate electronic bracelets!! :laugh::biggrin:

tooearly, welcome to eGullet.

One place I really enjoyed last time I was in Tuscany is called "La Porta". Not exactly in Montepulciano, rather between it and Pienza, in a tiny medieval village called Monticchiello. The place is something in-between a typical trattoria and a wine bar, serving pretty good Tuscan fare, I had some great pici all'aglione, and with a good wine selection both open, by the glass (when I was there around 20 different ones) or by the bottle. You can also buy the bottles to take away, at a lower price than the one in the wine carte (prices are more or less those of other wine shops in the area). It has become quite famous with German tourists because a a rather important magazine hailed their panna cotta as a "must try" so it's better to make reservations, especially in summer.

La Porta

Montichiello (Pienza)

0578 755 163

I don't know the address but it's immediately inside the city gates to the left.

edited for silly spelling and wrong phone number

Edited by albiston (log)
Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

The restaurant most frequented by locals in Montepulciano is l'Osteria Acquacheta, via del Teatro 22 (at the top of MP), 0578 71.70.86, with an incredible bistecca fiorentina cooked the old-fashioned way -- don't miss it, and be sure to make reservations! I completely agree about La Porta -- its address is Via del Piano 3. And if you get as far as Montalcino, I'd recommend Il Grappolo Blu for a great lunch -- Scale di Via Moglio 1; phone 0577 84.71.50. Have fun -- I think you've picked the best part of Tuscany.

I enjoyed the Grotto

Loc. San Biagio, 15

right in front of the Church of San Biago outside of the city

but also hear this is a nice place

Ristorante Le Logge del Vignola

Via delle Erbe, 6

and the classic Trattoria right near the front gate

Diva e Maceo

Via Gracciano nel Corso 92

We had an excellent lunch at Diva e Maceo, but I wouldn't recommend Le Logge del Vignola to someone on a limited budget. It's much pricier, as I recall, and its attempt at creative rather than traditional cuisine was not always successful, at least on the evening we were there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I live in Montepulciano! I write cookbooks and do cooking classes and I have an opinion about the local restaurants. Eh! Will you have a car? If so, you absolutely should go to La Porta in Monticchiello, also Latte di Luna in Pienza. And in Montepulciano...La Grotta is worth every penny. for true 'locals' food, go to Ristorante Cittino - Marcella makes the pici pasta by hand. Dive e Maceo is good. Stop in the Caffe Poliziano for coffee and the view. For pizza, don't miss Saloon (yes, funny name) in nearby Sant' Albino.

Buon viaggio.My Webpage

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

Pamela,

welcome to eGullet. Great to have another Italian resident, and quite a special one, on board. I'll leave the privilege of introducing you properly to docsconz.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Pamela,

Welcome to eGullet! I'm looking forward to more posts from you.

Pamela doesn't just write cookbooks. She writes beautiful, well-researched, well-written, clear cookbooks on special aspects of Italian cuisine, including Balsamico, Pizze, Artisanal Food Products and Pasta amongst others. She is also finishing a book on Salumi. I suggest checking out her webpage for more information.

Montepulciano is a beautiful town and one I hope to get back to before too long. I will second the recommendation of La Grotta. We had lunch there then visited San Biaggio. Both were magnificent.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

docsconz...I'm blushing! thank you for the nice comments. I have just finished (last Saturday!) my book on Salumi, it will be called "Prosciutto, Pancetta, and Salame," and available in spring 2005. I added a lot of new grey hairs on this one! Italy's multi-regional aspect makes a wide subject like this challenging. Some cured meats are made similarly, but with different names...or some have the same names with completely different processes to make them. In any case, I am more hooked than ever on these wonderful products!

Edited by pamela in tuscany (log)

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

• 1 month later...

I had a drink at Caffe Poliziano - they serve amusing snacks with cocktails - like cheese puffs and pretzels.

Had dinner at Acquacheta. I would recommend it just to have you meet the owner (?). He made my day - appears to not speak much English, but we had a grand time anyway. I loved the cauliflower pudding. Did not like that they give you one glass for water and house wine. Liked watching the young women in sweats and white caps in the open kitchen. The place was full of personality.

If you want to eat at Latte di Luna in Pienza (I wanted to), try to reserve well in advance. Lunch was fully booked. A local said they book a week or two in advance! Another country I missed the suckling pig.

My favorite dinner - "Il Borgo" in Rocca d'Orcia. Another medieval hamlet that is almost too perfect. The food was fabulous. I think it must exist for the wine traders in the region. As far as I could tell, it's the only restaurant in town - right on the plaza with the old well.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Thanks Pamela.

Would it be possible,  Pamela, to recommend cozy/friendly place to stay in Montepulciano for reasonable(around 100 Euro) price?

Pamela may be be too nice to toot her own horn, but on her web site she has a small apartment fit for two at 115 Euros/night. While I haven't been there myself, I have no doubt that it is a lovely place.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thank you for that mention docsconz, we also have a room (no kitchen) for Euro 85/night, including breakfast. there are photos,etc on my website, www.FoodArtisans.com.

sorry I didn't meet you tsquare, next time give me a call and we can meet for coffee at Caffe Poliziano!

Next week we start picking olives!

Pamela

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

Vmilor, we rented Politian Apartment #1 at the top of Montepulciano for well under 100€/night. It's a delightful, spacious apartment with a working fireplace, and is available for less than a week off-season. Parking is right outside the apartment, and Giacomo Stuart, the owner, is a pleasure to deal with.