• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roberto Donna On The Grill

Ted Task

That would be helpful, Little Wing, if it's not too much trouble.  BTW, last time I went for the Grill, Chef Donna mentioned that he planned on opening a back room so that those who would normally eat on the premises out back would have some place more hospitable for Winter conditions.  Anyone know if that has happened?

It has happened, there is a room at the back of the restaurant available.

That's where I sat yesterday, all by my lonesome. Not another soul there (again, I did show up around 1:30). It was a little uncomfortable...other than the fact that no one was there, they also didn't have napkins, salt & pepper, what have you. I felt like I wasn't really supposed to be there so when a staff member snuck up on me and asked if everything was ok, I nearly jumped out of my skin!

:rolleyes:

That would be helpful, Little Wing, if it's not too much trouble.  BTW, last time I went for the Grill, Chef Donna mentioned that he planned on opening a back room so that those who would normally eat on the premises out back would have some place more hospitable for Winter conditions.  Anyone know if that has happened?

It has happened, there is a room at the back of the restaurant available.

That's where I sat yesterday, all by my lonesome. Not another soul there (again, I did show up around 1:30). It was a little uncomfortable...other than the fact that no one was there, they also didn't have napkins, salt & pepper, what have you. I felt like I wasn't really supposed to be there so when a staff member snuck up on me and asked if everything was ok, I nearly jumped out of my skin!

:rolleyes:

The only difference if you go earlier is more people. If you want napkins you have to take a few sheets of the paper towels from the grill. :biggrin: I am just happy that they are still keeping it open.

I always find it funny/strange to be walking through the restaurant filled with all the suits to get my sandwich from the grill.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I always find it funny/strange to be walking through the restaurant filled with all the suits to get my sandwich from the grill.

A more severe version of this problem exists when you show up at the Osteria in jeans on a Saturday night and need to tinkle.

A more severe version of this problem exists when you show up at the Osteria in jeans on a Saturday night and need to tinkle.

Or with two kids in jeans and you all need to tinkle. Especially if you're the kind of person who likes to walk slow and see what's on people's plates...all the swells thinking to themselves "I see that the tour group from Duluth has arrived."

Oh, well -- fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. :raz:

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

That's how I felt yesterday walking through the dining room yesterday: solo, in boots with heels that are too high, slipping on the tile multiple times. The dining room was full of men (note to the single ladies: there were more than a few attractive ones). I felt younger than I am and blushed twice.

Question: is it always do-it-yourself, honor-system change making at the Grill?

Arrived in my inbox at 1:45 am:

Galileo Restaurant -- December Eighth 2004

This Week's Grill

This week, the grill will be open Wednesday and Thursday at 11:45 a.m.

If you would like to pre-order your lunch or if you have any questions

please call 202-293-7191. We look forward to seeing you again.

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I went yesterday. The popularity seems to have dropped off. There was no one in line when I arrive shortly after noon, and again when I left about a half-hour later, after eating my sandwich. Beware of rain today. If you go, call ahead to see if there will be indoor seating. There was a private party going on in the room behind the grill yesterday.

I went yesterday.  The popularity seems to have dropped off.  There was no one in line when I arrive shortly after noon, and again when I left about a half-hour later, after eating my sandwich.  Beware of rain today.  If you go, call ahead to see if there will be indoor seating.  There was a private party going on in the room behind the grill yesterday.

Excellent -- so long as the quality has not dropped off!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

I went yesterday.  The popularity seems to have dropped off.  There was no one in line when I arrive shortly after noon, and again when I left about a half-hour later, after eating my sandwich.  Beware of rain today.  If you go, call ahead to see if there will be indoor seating.  There was a private party going on in the room behind the grill yesterday.

Excellent -- so long as the quality has not dropped off!

I arrived today shortly after noon and there was no line. Chef Donna attributed it to 1) the season/weather and 2) the fact that customers now are spacing themselves to avoid the crush just at noon. There was a modest number of folks in the back room munching down the sandwiches - and yes, the quality remains the same. I'm saving my canoli for later in the afternoon snacking. :rolleyes:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

received this email today:

This week, the grill will be open Wednesday and Thursday at 11:45 a.m. If

you would like to pre-order your lunch or if you have any questions please

call 202-293-7191. We look forward to seeing you. Buon Appetito!!!

Please note these will be the last grill dates until January.

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

• 3 weeks later...

appeared in my inbox this am:

The grill will be open at 11:45 a.m. on Tuesday, January 4th and Thursday,

January 6th. Roberto will be grilling all of the usual lunchtime favorites.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Please feel free to call in your order before you come in, 202-293-7191.

Eat.Drink.DC.

- Orson Welles

• 2 weeks later...

Where was everyone today? Showed up about 12:20, there was only one other person in line.

Don't you hate it when you try to showcase something for a newcomer and the place has an off day? This was the first time in the 6 or 7 visits that I was a little disappointed. All the ingredients were there, they just somehow failed to become more than the sum of their parts today. Oh well, better luck next time.

Where was everyone today? Showed up about 12:20, there was only one other person in line.

Don't you hate it when you try to showcase something for a newcomer and the place has an off day? This was the first time in the 6 or 7 visits that I was a little disappointed. All the ingredients were there, they just somehow failed to become more than the sum of their parts today. Oh well, better luck next time.

I went yesterday and while there were only 4-5 people in line in front of me, the line was snaking around the room by the time I left. My sandwiches were the same as usual. I think some people call in their orders.

Don't you hate it when you try to showcase something for a newcomer and the place has an off day?

Brought back 3 pork shoulders for some colleagues today; tehy're all adding themsleves to the email list. I could care less about how long the line is. Bottom line: thems damn fine sammiches, and even better when I don't have to wait.

I think I'm beginning to realize what was off for me today. The sandwich wasn't as sloppy as usual. This was the first time none of the ingredients fell out or were even in danger of falling out, nor the juices (either from the pork or the green sauce) in danger of soaking through the top and bottom of the sandwich.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...