• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roberto Donna On The Grill

Ted Task

Pork shoulder is always good, and while I wouldn't go so far to as as it's old and busted, meatball sandwich is the new hotness.

Thou shalt have no other sandwiches before the pork shoulder.

One of these days I know I'm going to have to try the other options at the Grill, but I'll have to call in my order. Once I get to waiting in line I can't resist the pork shouldery goodness. With onion and peppers. And green sauce. Oh, the green sauce.

On another note, has anybody tried the soups recently? I'm always tempted, but the sandwich is enough of a meal.

In order to induce catatonia, I ate both the pork shoulder sandwich and  the meatball sub.  I should be real productive this afternoon.  I need to rest up for my trip to Ray's this evening.

Funny, I was thinking about eating the same two sandwhichs today, but as I have two meetings this afternoon, I figured I would spare everybody and just eat the pork shoulder

In order to induce catatonia, I ate both the pork shoulder sandwich and  the meatball sub.  I should be real productive this afternoon.  I need to rest up for my trip to Ray's this evening.

Funny, I was thinking about eating the same two sandwhichs today, but as I have two meetings this afternoon, I figured I would spare everybody and just eat the pork shoulder

I just have a couple of conference calls that I can sleep through.

You people have no shame. I had just one pork shoulder sandwich, and feel the need to kick arse tonight at the gym followed by two hours on the ice, and just MAYBE that will make me a good girl again.

Of course, I also had two cannollis. You wouldn't want me going without dessert, now would you?

Resident Twizzlebum

Grill open Wednesday and Thursday, but the email also mentioned a new item: Hot dogs!! According to the email, the rolls, ketchup and sauerkraut will be made in-house.

Edited to reflect how it's not open on Friday this week!

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Grill open Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, but the email also mentioned a new item: Hot dogs!!  According to the email, the rolls, ketchup and sauerkraut will be made in-house.

I found it strange that the actual dogs are not being made in house. I wonder what brand they are going to use.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I don't think the grill is going to be open on Friday, though. The mail I got said:

"The grill will be open this Wednesday the 20th and Thursday the 21st at 11:45 a.m. until everything is gone (approximately 1:15 p.m.).

For pre-orders call 202-293-7191 - PREORDERS WILL BE TAKEN UNTIL NOON."

They ain't gonna be house made? Well, if that's the case, I hope they use Sahlen's from my old hometown of Buffalo, New York. Even Bob Kinkead himself is aware of their tasty goodness:

http://washingtonian.com/capital_comment/2...0205capcom.html

Hot dogs. The best are Sahlen’s from Buffalo with Weber’s mustard, also from Buffalo.

Honestly, a grilled Sahlen's will make you rethink meat that comes in a tube. Anyone know if the area Wegmans have them in their selection of foods they carry for Buffalo ex-patriates?

I don't think the grill is going to be open on Friday, though. The mail I got said:

"The grill will be open this Wednesday the 20th and Thursday the 21st at 11:45 a.m. until everything is gone (approximately 1:15 p.m.).

For pre-orders call 202-293-7191 - PREORDERS WILL BE TAKEN UNTIL NOON."

Ack, you're right. Wednesday and Thursday, not Friday. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Went for the pork shoulder (though the sausages and meatballs looked good) and was a little disappointed. It wasn't quite as packed with stuff as I remember, and the pork wasn't quite as flavorful or full of the crunchy bits. Still one fine sandwich, though.

Update from the grill today:

1) Hot dogs themselves are house made; $3.50 a pop with kraut or house made relish. I was *thisclose* to buying 2 to take with me to the Nats game tonight, but wasn't sure how they'd hold up. Looked fantastic.

2) The Grill is officially, as they say, off the hook. When I got there just shy of 12:00 the line wound around the room and to the door of the Lab. When I left 15 minutes later it had stretched down the back hall and almost out the door to the patio. Methinks word has spread

edit: typo

Edited by TedE (log)

I hadn't been there in a long time, you're right it was a ZOOOO. Considering he has no high end lunch any more (there were 3 covers at 12:20p) , he must love selling those sandwichs at 5 bucks each...AND, customers were placing multiple orders. My guess is that he's making 10 times more at lunch. Good for him, bad for Mark Furstenburg. Anyone have the hotdog??