• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roberto Donna On The Grill

Ted Task

Had a delightful lunch on the back terrace today. A friend and I shared a pork shoulder sandwich and a sausage sandwich. I loved the pork shoulder -- the crisp toasty bread, flavorful sauce, sauteed peppers and melt-in-your mouth tender prok. I didn't care for the sausage -- it tasted fishy. A fantastic value.

Had a delightful lunch on the back terrace today.  A friend and I shared a pork shoulder sandwich and a sausage sandwich.  I loved the pork shoulder -- the crisp toasty bread, flavorful sauce, sauteed peppers and melt-in-your mouth tender prok.  I didn't care for the sausage -- it tasted fishy.  A fantastic value.

Second the delightful lunch report. Had the pork shoulder sandwich and sweet ricotta cannolli. The sandwich components are so well-proportioned that every bite is satisfying. The peppers, I think, were marinated. Pork had a right amount of fat in it, too. Chicken wings and another cannolli will keep me alive tomorrow.

Resident Twizzlebum

What a gorgeous afternoon to sit on the patio at Galileo and munch on a pork shoulder sandwich.

I had mine all the way wet, with lettuce, tomato, peppers and sauce. I had grease/sauce/juice all over my hands and running down my chin. Thankfully, napkins consisted of paper towels from the roll by the grill.

Donna seemed to be pulling out all the stops today. He had a big pan of pizza, a pot of some kind of soup, ribs and the chicken wings which he served with a piece of the foccia bread. When we left, the line was around the corner.

I tried to steal Nadya's second cannolli but I couldn't get her to look the other way. I have a sausage sandwich sitting on my desk for possible consumption during my afternoon conference call.

What a pleasant way to spend a lunch hour.

I tried to steal Nadya's second cannolli but I couldn't get her to look the other way.  I have a sausage sandwich sitting on my desk for possible consumption during my afternoon conference call.

Nice try...over my dead body. It's my Friday lunch and reason to come to the office :)

If you try the grill, do try to come early - the line was really rather intimidating when we were leaving. Wonder what the ribs were like. What I loved about my sandwich was the execution - you know how in most sandwiches, you get edge bites that have nothing on them, and an overflowing middle that runs down your chin? Donna's sandwich was so well-made that every bite delivered good stuff.

Resident Twizzlebum

Had an enjoyable lunch with mnebergall and Chef Shogun. The Chef [Chef Donna, that is] said that he was planning to open the "back room" when the weather gets cold, so the grilling thing looks like it will continue into the Winter.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Had an enjoyable lunch with mnebergall and Chef Shogun. The Chef [Chef Donna, that is] said that he was planning to open the "back room" when the weather gets cold, so the grilling thing looks like it will continue into the Winter.

That would be wonderful! Today I got two of my coworkers to come to the Grill with me despite a hike from Courthose and bad parking situation. (That was my Honda parked cheekily in front of entrance with emergency flashers on.) Pork shoulder was excellent as always.

Resident Twizzlebum

• 3 weeks later...
I think I'm going to try and make the grill for some pork shoulder today, too, even though it's all pissy outside. Apres moi(nk), le deluge!

Me too, around noon - it's addictive!

PS: I think the patio is closed by now...so there's nowhere to sit, right? Methinks soon street police will have to post "no loitering" signs near Galileo...

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Boo, hiss, you rain-fearing men you. Not only there was no line at noon, but I snagged a parking spot right next to it, and enjoyed a leisurely chat with Roberto. Back in office, pork shoulder and cannolli put away, feeling v. happy and proud of self. :))

Resident Twizzlebum

I see they're now going to allow pre-orders at the grill. You can call ahead before they open and arrange to pick up instead of standing in line. Personally, I still want it straight off the fire, though I did take one home for dinner the other day. Wrapped in a tea towel and kept in the fridge, it held up great. In fact, the sauce had soaked all the way into the bread and after a minute in the microwave, it was all steaming, gooey porky pesto-ey goodness. Aaaaarrrggghhh.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Wrapped in a tea towel and kept in the fridge, it held up great. In fact, the sauce had soaked all the way into the bread and after a minute in the microwave, it was all steaming, gooey porky pesto-ey goodness. Aaaaarrrggghhh.

Sausage sandwich for lunch and I did the pork shoulder for dinner tonight as per Stretch's instructions and I concur, Aaaaarrrggghhh! :)

The ribs he was putting out today were incredibly huge and I wished that I would have tried the soup. Ah, next time.

BTW, you never know who you are going to see there...

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Does anyone know of the Galileo Grill is going to be up and running again today?

Per the email I got from them the night before, the answer is yes. Note to everyone: please don't shun the soup! I had a bowl yesterday and really enjoyed it, perfect bowl o'comfort in this weather. It was chickpea, bacon and pasta.

Resident Twizzlebum

I have reheated the pork shoulder sandwhich wrapped in its paper in a regular oven after a night in the fridge and that produces crisp bread and a warm tender meaty interior.

Wrapped in a tea towel and kept in the fridge, it held up great. In fact, the sauce had soaked all the way into the bread and after a minute in the microwave, it was all steaming, gooey porky pesto-ey goodness. 

Note to everyone: please don't shun the soup! I had a bowl yesterday and really enjoyed it, perfect bowl o'comfort in this weather. It was chickpea, bacon and pasta.

I would like to second that vote for the chickpea and pasta soup. I have had it the last four times I have ordered from the Grill and it is superb. :biggrin: At 3 dollars for a a large take out portion, it is the best soup deal in town.

• 3 weeks later...
I assume the Grill is no more now that it's 11/30...right?

Would somebody find the last time Donna is going to fire up the grill. I have these dreams, shall we call them moist dreams, of going during winter break.

Otherwise one of you regulars is going to have to get some takeaway for me!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I assume the Grill is no more now that it's 11/30...right?

Would somebody find the last time Donna is going to fire up the grill. I have these dreams, shall we call them moist dreams, of going during winter break.

Otherwise one of you regulars is going to have to get some takeaway for me!

I get emails from them early on the days that they're going to grill. The emails arrive early in the a.m. (which for me is nighttime.) they don't say when the last date will be, and they are kind of last-minute, but if it will help i'll try to post them when possible.

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

That would be helpful, Little Wing, if it's not too much trouble. BTW, last time I went for the Grill, Chef Donna mentioned that he planned on opening a back room so that those who would normally eat on the premises out back would have some place more hospitable for Winter conditions. Anyone know if that has happened?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

That would be helpful, Little Wing, if it's not too much trouble.  BTW, last time I went for the Grill, Chef Donna mentioned that he planned on opening a back room so that those who would normally eat on the premises out back would have some place more hospitable for Winter conditions.  Anyone know if that has happened?

It has happened, there is a room at the back of the restaurant available.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.