• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Like The Wolf

mktye

Definitely sushi. Mu shu pork. Escargot. Crepes. Tab. Banana daquiris. Wine coolers. Otterpops. SlimFast or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Microwave Popcorn. Jolly Ranchers. Cocaine.

I think you should track down enough of those giant, brick-sized portable phones like that guy had in American Psycho to pass out as party favors.

I've done the fish bowl a number of times in my classroom.
Hopefully not the version containing alcohol! Or is that how you keep those kids quiet?!? :wink:
The rest of you may not know this, but mktye is a master bread baker and homemade marshmellow maker.
Thank you Hill. :blush: But I hesitate to call myself a "master" bread baker. More of a rabid amateur. Like totally. For sure.
Definitely sushi. Mu shu pork. Escargot. Crepes. Tab. Banana daquiris. Wine coolers. Otterpops. SlimFast or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Microwave Popcorn. Jolly Ranchers. Cocaine.
Sounds like the voice of experience (of course with the exception of the cocaine--Just Say No)... and all consumed on a Saturday night between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m.?

Thinking of faux RayBan Wayfarers as party favors.

Sounds like the voice of experience (of course with the exception of the cocaine--Just Say No)... and all consumed on a Saturday night between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m.?

Thinking of faux RayBan Wayfarers as party favors.

Well, a combination of observation and experience, but yes, I actually DID live through the 80s as a young adult.

I think faux Wayfarers are a great idea (Sunglasses at Night!), and probably easier to find than those giant phones. Have fun with your party!

How about some Vegemite sandwiches?
Wow. You win. My hat is off to you (trying to work a Men Without Hats line in here but so awed by your post that I cannot manage it).
I guess the curacao aquarium would beat out Jello shots, cuz that'll be a lot of curacao!
True! I was just thinking of using that recipe as a starting point and also adding vodka.

Hmmm, maybe the eGDCGC (or are we being politically correct and calling it the eGDCLC? eGDCWC?) can come over and help me develop the best aquarium recipe (and I'm sure it will take a lot of "testing"). Hillvalley? Ms. Busboy? Malawry? Babka? :laugh:

Men without hats are from Montreal; men at work are from Australia

Ooooh. I was not even trying for a Men At Work connection--that would have been even more clever! Lately, my brain has been as fried as my 80's over-permed, over-highlighted, over-moussed, over-styled hair. :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Just a week away, a big 80's par-ty, oh

Another cloudy day, with no one here but me, oh

More craziness than any one could bear

Rescue me before I fall into despair, oh

I'll send an SOS to the world

I'll send an SOS to the world

I hope that someone gets my

Message in eGullet, yeah

Message in eGullet, yeah

Sending out an SOS...

Help! The party is fast approaching and I need some help with naming a few of the dishes I'll be serving. Specifically:

Tortellini Pasta Salad (served on skewers with a pesto-based dressing)

Spago-style Pizzas (topped with chevre, pine nuts, caramelized onions & roasted pumpkin)

Potato Skins (with bacon, cheddar, sour cream & chives)

Anyone have any 80's-themed ideas for names?

(And for all you music nerds out there -- yes, I realize "Message In A Bottle" was released in Oct of '79, but it will always be an 80's song in my mind!)

"Thriller" chillers? Prince Burgers? Madonna "Sex" on a Beach?

Bueller? Bueller?

God, the 80's was such a vacuous pit of crap, wasn't it?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For the pizza: (Wolfgang) Puck's Pucks.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

And we'll certainly enjoy reveling in it! :laugh:

The party menu:

Make Martha Proud Crudités with Honey Mustard and Raspberry Vinaigrette Dips

Melt with You Nachos

Who’s A Real Man Spinach Quiche

We Don’t Need Another Hero Blackened Chicken Sandwiches

Like Totally Southern California Rolls

Toni Basil Tortellini Skewers

Could The 80’s Be Any Cheesier Potato Skins

Hungry Like the Wolf-gang Puck Pizzas

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Fluft with Fruit

The Decade of Decadence Chocolate Cakes

Big Hair Raspberry Tarts

Bananarama Daiquiris

Strawberry Margaritas

Like A Virgin Strawberry Margaritas

Long Island Iced Tea

Wine Coolers

Mexican Beer with Lime Wedges

Cherry Coke

Flavored Mineral Waters

Thanks again everyone for the help!

There is just one thing that has stuck out in my mind from the 80's. I recall reading (a hundred years ago, methinks) a very chi-chi food article from then, that divulged the secret ingredient on pizzas cooked for Goldie Hawn and Cher by Wolfgang Puck up in Vail at an 'event'---SUN-DRIED TOMATOES!!! Unavailable to the masses, of course; but then we knew that!

And we'll certainly enjoy reveling in it! :laugh:

The party menu:

Make Martha Proud Crudités with Honey Mustard and Raspberry Vinaigrette Dips

Melt with You Nachos

Who’s A Real Man Spinach Quiche

We Don’t Need Another Hero Blackened Chicken Sandwiches

Like Totally Southern California Rolls

Toni Basil Tortellini Skewers

Could The 80’s Be Any Cheesier Potato Skins

Hungry Like the Wolf-gang Puck Pizzas

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Fluft with Fruit

The Decade of Decadence Chocolate Cakes

Big Hair Raspberry Tarts

Bananarama Daiquiris

Strawberry Margaritas

Like A Virgin Strawberry Margaritas

Long Island Iced Tea

Wine Coolers

Mexican Beer with Lime Wedges

Cherry Coke

Flavored Mineral Waters

Thanks again everyone for the help!

An awesome lineup that really brings back memories, most of them great. I for one really enjoyed the 80's and still love the music from then and the music from today that emulates it. As for food, I much preefer today's culinary world.

Have a great time!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks belatedly for all the well-wishes! The party was like totally fun. The first guests arrived at 5:00 on the dot :shock: and the last guests departed some time after 1:00 :wacko: . Lots of food and drink consumed. The blackened chicken sandwiches were a big hit, closely followed by the California rolls and the pizza. As to the drinks, the west coast people tended to favor the strawberry margaritas and the east coast people went for the Long Island iced tea. Go figure. :laugh:

There are pics of the food here (no pics of people to protect the innocent -- Mr. mktye in a mullet-wig is just much too horrifying!!!).

And thank you again to everyone for the great food ideas! Wish you all could have joined us!!! :cool:

mktye, those PacMan flourless chocolate cakes looked great (no matter how tedious they were to make). Fun lookin' spread! I will definitely be stealing a few of those ideas if the opportunity to throw such a party presents itself.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.