• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Like The Wolf

mktye

You could get take away buffalo wings or have one of the guests pick them up on the way over.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Ya' know, reminiscing about the 80s keeps me Forever Young.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Makes me feel like I'm in Avalon watching some Beastie Boys chase around some Fine Young Cannibals.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

What about Rocky Road Me Amedeus?

For cereals, what about Apple Jacks or Boo Berry and Count Choculah. The sweet rice krispies came out then too.

I love the pic!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I can't think of a clever '80s title to put in a sentence (and looking at that list is cheating!).

But no food says 1980s to me more than sun-dried tomatoes. And goat cheese.

It's All Coming Back To Me.... oops, that was from the '90s. C'est La Vie!

(Finally thought of one!)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I actually just had an 80's theme party this past weekend. My roommate and I are pretty much broke right now, so we didn't have a lot of food, but what we did have was pretty hilarious (in our opinion!). Also, as a disclaimer, I was born in '79, in a small town in central Illinois, so my food memories of the '80s are mostly of children's food and stuff my parents made for their parties.

We had:

Jello poke cake (I remember loving this stuff, but I thought it was pretty gross this time around!)

Franzia wine in a box. Maybe not exactly '80s, but I know my aunts always had it at parties back then, and plus we just thought it was funny.

"7 layer" taco dip. Ok, more like something from "Taste of Home" in the '80s, but still. Come to think of it, something "Taste of Home" probably still has in their magazine.

Strawberry dacquiries, because my parents used to make tons of those back then.

Someone brought "pretzel jello" and it was awesome.

Can't remember the rest . . ate too much jello, drank too much rum :wacko:

Ok, so maybe the menu looks more like a white trash party or something from the "lutefisk ghetto", but I remember eating a LOT of jello back then.

Ooh! You could make one of those Jello Aquariums, with blue jello and gummy fish swimming in it! :laugh:

Or Heaven is a Place on Earth cake (like Better Than Sex cake, only umm . . . not)

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Alas, I've arrived too late to this forum to contribute any more puns on food and music! But my suggestion is that you should have guests try PopRocks with soda. I've heard that they explode in your stomach if you eat them together. (Also, if you're putting on your slap bracelet and you hit a certain vein on your wrist, you can die instantly.

You should have lots of "preppy" costumes.
Heather, you're a native east coast gal, aren't you? I lived in California during the 80's--we were much more into a valley-girl/Cindy Lauper/Madonna look.

Like this:

i10700.jpg

(Yes, that is me. Yes, that was taken less than two years ago. Yes, those are all original 80's clothes, shoes, shades & jewelry. No, I do not dress like that all the time.)

Nice! Yes, the Madonna look was very big too. I recall that kind of heel with a miniskirt was usually accompanied by frilly ankle socks.

Don't forget the Flashdance torn sweatshirt, leg warmers, and Members Only jackets.

The Preppy Handbook was very popular in high school, leading to large outbreaks of headbands and topsiders. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

What a Feeling! You could serve some cream, but make sure you Whip It. Whip It Good.

Girl, where are your leg warmers (That's What I Like about You!)? Are you feeling Under Pressure?

Serve "We Don't Need Another Hero" sandwiches!

Edited by tanabutler (log)

I am glad I'm not the only Super Freak with an un-natural fondness for the 80's. :smile:

The jello aquarium idea sounds interesting KatieM, I've never even heard of that! Hmm, and I have a nice plain glass punch bowl...

I also like the We Don't Need Another Hero sandwiches.

I recall that kind of heel with a miniskirt was usually accompanied by frilly ankle socks.
I couldn't find mine! And I had a great red lace pair too. I cannot imagine that I threw them out--you just can buy ankle socks like that anymore.

How about something "Blackened", like chicken? Blackened anything was huge in the early 80's.

Sushi of course - I love that scene in Valley Girl where they are piggin out on some sushi.

Salad bars were huge everywhere. Of course, oat bran was in and eggs were out.

This link is pretty good:

IACP's take on the 80's

What about drinks? Margaritas were big in the 80's. Shots were also big in the 80's... Wine coolers, and also it was the decade that import beers hit it big, namely Heineken and Corona. "Corona with a lime" was very popular.

This thread is Simply Irresistable. Sweet Dreams are Made of Parties like this. U2 can drink white zinfandel and eat Chimichangas.

Your party sounds like it will be a real Thriller, especially for those who would dress Like a Virgin and he who would be a Sharp dressed Man.

Would we be invited if we traveled there on a Vacation/Holiday, after all We got the Beat? Unfortunately, it would probably Clash with other plans for halloween. If Frankie goes to Hollywood, I might go there. That's what I like about you though, you could accept that and not strut like a stray cat and scream Sunday, bloody Sunday.

If it is a costume party, I hope someone goes as Alf.

ah, the memories...

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i have nothing constructive to add, but i am confused about this "hungy like the wolf "business. is this to be sex-party of some kind?

"Hungry Like the Wolf" was a hot, hot, hot Duran Duran song/video. A party tune for many '80's folks. Hmmmm, I wonder how many children were conceived to it?!

LOTS! :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

'Scuse me for askin' but is the topic title supposed to be "Hungry" Like the Wolf? or as it is?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett