• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hungry Like The Wolf

mktye

I Love Rock & Roll and have an Obsession with the 80’s, so I decided, “Hey, Let’s Go Crazy… we’ve not had an 80’s party since before we lived in the Wild, Wild West.” The only problem was my husband. He is sometimes Too Shy and does not like a Crowded House.

But it is not like I am planning on Burning Down the House, inviting Fine Young Cannibals to incite a Quiet Riot or Poison anyone. I certainly do not want anyone to call the Police since I am such a Goody Two Shoes.

So I thought to myself, “All I Need Is A Miracle” and, Living On A Prayer, said to my hubbie: “Honey, I have a big favor to ask of you…”

He replied: “Hit Me With Your Best Shot…”

I said: “If you love me, you’ll let me have another 80’s party this Halloween...”

And he answered: “True, But What’s Love Got To Do With It? Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?”

Of course, his biggest worry was about my doing everything INXS, working like a Maniac burning the Midnight Oil and not getting enough REM.

I was Lost In Emotion, but decided to Harden My Heart and take a Stand. I told him: “I am going to have this party With Or Without You.” It’s My Prerogative and Love Is A Battlefield.

After he thought about it and had an A-Ha moment, he said: “Relax, you don’t have to Fight For Your Right To Party and get mad in the Heat Of The Moment. After all, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, live the Glamorous Life and have a Celebration. If This Is It, then Things Can Only Get Better. Let’s Go All The Way and have that party!” He then told me I was Simply Irresistible and, after hearing that, I was Walking On Sunshine.

So We’ve Got the Beat, plan to wear our Sunglasses At Night :cool: , get Footloose and drink Red, Red Wine. But what to eat?!? I’m in the Land of Confusion.

Anyone have any ideas for 80’s-themed appetizers or finger foods?

(Sorry if I’m Out of Touch and this topic has been covered before!)

This is my favorite post of the week. :laugh:

I have no food memories from the 80's (well, except for Chinatown very late at night), but recall that wine coolers were a new hot thing back then.

Let me dig out some of my Gourmet mags from back then and see what was popular.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And he answered:  “True, But What’s Love Got To Do With It? Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?”

Hey, that's a song title!

/ducks

Fondue? Wine coolers. Raspberry vinagrette. Bowls of Yikes! Stripes! and Mario cereal? Guess I mostly remember novelty foods of the era. Here, have a foods of the 80s database.

-- C.S.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I have no food memories from the 80's
You and a whole bunch of other people. Welcome to the Jungle.
but recall that wine coolers were a new hot thing back then.
I bought (yes, they still make them) some wine coolers for our last 80's party. In a word... undrinkable. Like totally. I'm still wondering if they've changed them or my tastebuds have changed.

Thanks for the links gingerly and Chef Shogun. And I really like the bowls of cereal idea. I wonder how many of those are still available.

Is fondue 80's or 70's?

Here is the menu from the last time we did this:

Make Martha Proud Crudités & Dip

Who’s A Real Man Spinach Quiche

Like Totally Southern California Rolls

Never Too Many Calorie Nachos

MKT-Nuggets with BBQ, Sweet & Sour, Hot Mustard & Honey Sauces

Stay-Puft Marshmallow Fluff with Fruit (including kiwi!)

The Decade of Decadence Chocolate Cake

Could The 80’s Be Any Cheesier-cake

Cherry Coke

Flavored Mineral Waters

Mexican Beer

Wine Coolers

Long Island Iced Tea

The chicken nuggets were too much work to make that day (Would I Lie To You?) and the last thing I want is for the house smelling like fried-food during the party(some sort of Cheap Trick having to do with The Flame? Okay, that one Hurts So Good... ack, I am entering the Danger Zone).

I suspect this will be a bigger crowd than last time so I think I'd like to avoid anything that needs a plate and fork. The quiches can be made mini, so those can stay.

Anway... Things Can Only Get Better.

there's also crepes.

i remember a while back we were brainstorming for 80s style desserts, and i remember someone suggesting a cake with that Nagel print from the Rio Album cover airbrushed onto it.

Gotta hand it to you, mktye; you really know how to handle The Politics of Dancing... :laugh:

You have to serve a flourless molten chocolate cake; those were all the rage in the 80s. To hear Amanda Hesser tell it, seafood with citrus was also an 80s dish. :laugh:

I agree with sushi, especially California rolls.

Too bad you can't bring back some Haagen Dazs Elberta Peach for the party, but you could get some Rum Raisin. I used to get a buzz on that in college. :laugh:

If you want Reagan nostalgia, jelly beans are of course essential.

And if you want to get really creative, make something in the shape of Pac-Man. :laugh:

I was in high school and college throughout most of the 80s, and when I wasn't living at my folks' or eating stuff I cooked at my hard-won on-campus apartment, I was mostly going to diners and having roast beef sandwiches of various descriptions, french fries, onion rings, and pizza. And of course, Chinese food. Which brings up an interesting idea. At least here in New York, the late 70s were the beginning of the Hunan-Szechwan craze, and it was going strong in the 80s. Of course, those weren't real Hunan or Sichuan restaurants and didn't really cook dishes like you can get at places like Spicy & Tasty in Flushing or Grand Sichuan in their two 9th Av. locations in Manhattan nowadays, but if the trend was national and not just New York-based, it might make sense to offer some spicy Chinese food. One dish I used to like very much at the original Empire Szechwan Gourmet was Sesame Chicken, which actually was tasty without being very spicy. I don't have a recipe, but I do recall that it included some small puffed noodles and had a brown sauce. Or maybe some Ma-Po Tofu or Hot and Sour Soup.

Michael aka "Pan"

Other than wine coolers the only 80s specific thing I can think of is Diet Coke which was introduced with much fanfare in '82.

Wasn't tall food an 80s thing?

As long as you decorate the room with lots of neon you're golden.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Other things for decorations: A Rubik's Cube and any of those halographic things from Star Magic (remember them? They survived way past the 80s). Bonus if you have a huge pencil from Think Big. :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

You are an absolute riot!!!! Who knew you had so many hidden talents?

What about Pop Rocks? Wasn't that whole scandal in the 80's?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You could offer:

Like a Virgin Cocktails (no alcohol)

Shake Your Love Shakes

Against the Wind Baked Beans :laugh:

Hurts So Good salsa (very spicy)

Who's Crying Now salsa (even more spicy)

Heat of the Moment salsa

Turning Japanese sushi

Raspberry Beret Sorbet & Send Me an Angel-food Cake topped with Whip It whipped cream

Rock Lobster canapes

Sowing the (Pumpkin) Seeds of Love snacks

Wind Beneath My (Buffalo) Wings

Pasta with the Lady in Red Sauce

Shock the Monkey Bread

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You could offer:

Like a Virgin Cocktails (no alcohol)

Shake Your Love Shakes

Against the Wind Baked Beans :laugh:

Hurts So Good salsa (very spicy)

Who's Crying Now salsa (even more spicy)

Heat of the Moment salsa

Turning Japanese sushi

Raspberry Beret Sorbet & Send Me an Angel-food Cake topped with Whip It whipped cream

Rock Lobster canapes

Wind Beneath My (Buffalo) Wings

Pasta with the Lady in Red Sauce

Shock the Monkey Bread

We have a winner! :cool:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Frankly, Mr Shankly my 80's were filled with much too much Coors Light aka The Silver Bullet. I believe Sam Adams was huge too.

N.

Edit to add: TCBY Frozen Yogurt, too!

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Hmmm...

Potato skins, baked with grated cheddar cheese then topped with sour cream, bacon bits and chives.

Popcorn shrimp.

Pretty much anything TGIFridays serves now...

I know, no fork food, but fettucini alfredo was SO gourmet in the eighties. And ice cream mocha kahlua pie.

And buttery, oaky chardonnay. How passe.

Wow. It's only since you've forced us to actually think about it that I realize what a black hole the eighties were for good eats. :blink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks everyone for the great input!!! The preliminary menu:

Veggies with Honey Mustard & Raspberry Dips

Individual Spinach & Crab Quiches

California Rolls

Loaded Potato Skins

Salsa & Chips

Jelly-Bellies

PopRocks

"Vintage" Cereal (if I can locate any)

Marshmallow Fluff with Fruit

Individual Flourless Chocolate Cakes

"Big Hair" Raspberry Tarts (basically a short-cookie base, smeared with raspberry jam and topped with big swirls of meringue)

I do want to do something shaped like pac-man too. Cookies are the obvious and easy choice. (Hmmm, obvious and easy... sounds like the 80's) Anyone else have any other ideas?

Still thinking about the buffalo wings & Chinese food (I need something for those Atkins folks. :hmmm: ), but concerned about the logistics.

Once the menu is finalized, I'd love you all to help with the naming!

You should have lots of "preppy" costumes.
Heather, you're a native east coast gal, aren't you? I lived in California during the 80's--we were much more into a valley-girl/Cindy Lauper/Madonna look.

Like this:

i10700.jpg

(Yes, that is me. Yes, that was taken less than two years ago. Yes, those are all original 80's clothes, shoes, shades & jewelry. No, I do not dress like that all the time.)

OK, go here if you really want to put together 80s songs and food.
Now that is the ultimate 80's song site. Thanks bunches!
Send Me an Angel-food Cake topped with Whip It whipped cream
Toliver, You Take My Breath Away--I spent half of yesterday afternoon trying to think of a way to work "Whip It" into my posts!
This is the best, better than all the rest....
clock this thread for some fabulous 80s dessert ideas
Get thread Fi. I searched high and low and never found it. And my apologies for inadvertantly stealing your "Hungry Like The Wolf" line--it must have been the Devil Inside that made me do it. :cool: