• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Malai?

RupenRao

:wacko:

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me what you substitute for Malai?

I tried using unsalted butter, sour cream, whipped cream but dont get the same effect. I was playing around with sour cream, heating it up and trying to reduce the whiteness for my Veg. Makhanwala recipe last month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rupen

This is a hard one to replicate totally..

Have you tried heavy cream? It usually works well

Other things that i have used - boil low carb full fat milk - it gives you some great malai (clotted cream) - but not the bufffalo milk India kind of malai

the other thing I have done a few times -- Stoneyfield sells this full fat yogurt with cream on top - I have used that cream in my malai kofta recipe with some success - again not exactly the same taste but close

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

http://www.asiafood.org/glossary_2.cfm?wordid=2533
if you have a delicatessen near you selling clotted cream, or a Lebanese pastry shop willing to part with some of their precious ashtar, you can save yourself time and effort.)
?

correct

That is why I suggested boiling the low carb milk.. it provides more cream than regular milk

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

A few years back one of the local restaurants sold me an orange liquid (probably food dye) that tasted like a liquid mozzarella cheese. I think a lot of people would have called it cream, but it had a noticeable sharpness to it. And not soured either. Sharp, like liquid cheese.

Is there any chance this was malai?

as Monica mentioned earlier,malai is really 'top of the milk'-super premium!http://www.ruchiskitchen.com/ruchiskitchen...s/Common.htm#12

various stages of processing described here.possibly you were given some baked ricotta?it does appear regularly as a subtitution in recipes.there's that clotted element to raw malai( that you find in kulfi )that was cunningly recreated by some unscrupulous dealers in india using blotting paper!or so the story goes..

In winter - Set the curd in a ceramic container and place it on the voltage stabilizer of your refrigerator.
:biggrin: we are like this only