• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The OC: A Sushi Nightmare

peter_nyc

Recently I spent a week in the OC, my first trip to the west coast. My two sushi outings were, to say the least, uninspiring. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the quality that the intense New York City competition mandates, but honestly, I had some of the worst sushi ever. Some of it should have been deemed a health risk by the FDA. That's how bad it was.

Now, I'm not one to turn my nose up at the occasional bad sushi joint. I mean, we in New York are certainly not immune to the perils of old, soggy rice with sloppy cuts of sub-par fish. But, what shocked me was the fact that one of the restaurants I dined at, Taiko (Irvine), received quite a good rating on Zagat (24 for food). I rarely find myself in disagreement with Zagat ratings in New York, and when I do, it's always a slight difference of opinion. I was also apparently in disagreement with a LOT of patrons at Taiko-- my companion and I waited 15 minutes for a table and the place was packed until closing. The other restaurant I visited, Funashin, was lightyears better than Taiko but not even reviewed by Zagat.

So what is the deal with sushi in the OC? Are there any good places? Or do I have to drive all the way up to LA to get decent Japanese in the state of California?

p.s. I'll spare you the gorey details of the roadkill sushi at Taiko-- just to give you an idea, the sushi that my local supermarket tastes like manna compared to whatever it was I consumed that night.

So what is the deal with sushi in the OC?  Are there any good places?  Or do I have to drive all the way up to LA to get decent Japanese in the state of California?

I'll preface this with saying that I'm not a fan of Orange County in general. But I'm a Bay Area person (living in NY right now). I will say that there is wonderful sushi in CA, and I've had more consistently good AND affordable sushi in CA than I have in NY. So never fear, there is good sushi to be found in CA.

And WHAT IS UP with this "the OC" business? Sounds like it came from the same place as the dreaded "San Fran" and "Cali" abbreviations. :hmmm:

And don't even get me started on "Frisco." :angry:

So what is the deal with sushi in the OC?  Are there any good places?  Or do I have to drive all the way up to LA to get decent Japanese in the state of California?

I'll preface this with saying that I'm not a fan of Orange County in general. But I'm a Bay Area person (living in NY right now). I will say that there is wonderful sushi in CA, and I've had more consistently good AND affordable sushi in CA than I have in NY. So never fear, there is good sushi to be found in CA.

And WHAT IS UP with this "the OC" business? Sounds like it came from the same place as the dreaded "San Fran" and "Cali" abbreviations. :hmmm:

Word. Why on earth would your first visit to the west coast be to Orange County? Here in San Francisco we have sushi to rival Japan's.

You know, I've asked around why Taiko is so popular. That place is frequented by a bunch of old-timers who apparently love the sushi bar. I don't get it. Unfortunately, for you, in that same plaza, there is a very good dim sum place that you missed. They carry my favorite dan tat, in California. Also, there's a good Korean soft tofu joint, just across the street. Oh well.

I've been going to Ango Tei, in Costa Mesa, thanks to people on this board, and it is really good. About as good as some of the places where I go to in L.A. IMHO, L.A. has the best sushi/best value for the quality. Of course NY keeps sucking up all our restaurants, so I guess that is changing.

--I have to admit that the omakase at Kiss Seafood in SF is a pretty good value though.

OC in general isn't a dining destination. However, there are a few exceptions.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

p.s. I'll spare you the gorey details of the roadkill sushi at Taiko-- just to give you an idea, the sushi that my local supermarket tastes like manna compared to whatever it was I consumed that night.

C'mon... You're going to need to share - If they don't have an angry lion roll then it's not as bad as it can get. Check out this thread on a Sushi dive in Northern California.

Well, at least if they had an angry lion roll, it would be entertaining.

I couldn't figure out what that air force roll was.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

And WHAT IS UP with this "the OC" business?  Sounds like it came from the same place as the dreaded "San Fran" and "Cali" abbreviations.  :hmmm:

My apologies. Let's just say I have many friends who watch the dreaded TV series with the same name. I can't have a conversation with them regarding CA without having to endure the harsh reality of their mass media induced abbreviatory tendencies. I'm the victim here, not the perpetrator. :huh:

C'mon... You're going to need to share - If they don't have an angry lion roll then it's not as bad as it can get. Check out this thread on a Sushi dive in Northern California.

Now, I love "dives" and certain "value" places, probably more than the next guy. "Dive" bars, taco stands, pizza joints, hamburger places, just to name a few. But there are certain words that should NEVER proceed the word Sushi.

1. Dive

2. Value

3. Cheap

4. Budget

5. All you can eat

6. Sale

7. Monday

If ever these words proceed "Sushi" you should run as fast and as far as your legs will take you.

Should you not heed the above caution; STOP and ask yourself, "Why am I eating this?"

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

Now, I love "dives" and certain "value" places, probably more than the next guy. "Dive" bars, taco stands, pizza joints, hamburger places, just to name a few. But there are certain words that should NEVER proceed the word Sushi.

1. Dive

2. Value

3. Cheap

4. Budget

5. All you can eat

6. Sale

7. Monday

If ever these words proceed "Sushi" you should run as fast and as far as your legs will take you.

Should you not heed the above caution; STOP and ask yourself, "Why am I eating this?"

8. Discount :laugh:

Peter, what can I say? You were in Orange County. When in Rome...

I reiterate the question, "Why on earth would anyone visiting the West Coast for the first time pick Orange County as a destination, when San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, and the entire Central Coast is here?"

I can only stand to be in Laguna Niguel if I have to be there (artists' enclave). Everything else is just Stepford Wifey to me. Disneyland scares me half to death.

Alright people, as much as I can't stand living here 99% of the time, I have to say that Orange County does have some decent places to eat. Laguna Niguel completely sucks foodwise, but Laguna Niguel does not represent all of Orange County. Off topic, I do remember talking to someone about trying to review restaurants in LN and this person looked at me in wide-eyed amazement and sincerely asked if there was actually anything to review there. This is from a person who knows OC like the back of his hand, and knows all sorts of cool places nearby...

We have a Claro's in Tustin. (good Italian store)

We have the only decent Vietnamese French bakery I've ever seen.

We have the best Vietnamese food I've had.

We have the only city (Irvine) that has two 99Ranches.

We have at least 1 good Persian market.

We have better Korean than Oakland or SF, that's for sure. haven't been to south bay lately, however.

Okay this is a short list, but I gotta go back to work.

I say OC because I'm lazy, but I'll never, ever say "The OC". AAAAHHHHH! It's like nails screeching on a chalkboard....

--edited to change 299Ranches to two 99Ranches...

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Alright people, as much as I can't stand living here 99% of the time, I have to say that Orange County does have some decent places to eat. Laguna Niguel completely sucks foodwise, but Laguna Niguel does not represent all of Orange County. Off topic, I do remember talking to someone about trying to review restaurants in LN and this person looked at me in wide-eyed amazement and sincerely asked if there was actually anything to review there. This is from a person who knows OC like the back of his hand, and knows all sorts of cool places nearby...

We have a Claro's in Tustin. (good Italian store)

We have the only decent Vietnamese French bakery I've ever seen.

We have the best Vietnamese food I've had.

We have the only city (Irvine) that has 299Ranches.

We have at least 1 good Persian market.

We have better Korean than Oakland or SF, that's for sure. haven't been to south bay lately, however.

Okay this is a short list, but I gotta go back to work.

I say OC because I'm lazy, but I'll never, ever say "The OC". AAAAHHHHH! It's like nails screeching on a chalkboard....

When I stayed in Laguna Niguel, we had a rental and I cooked. Problem solved. :smile:

To those who are dying to know, I was in OC (I've been careful not to prepend OC with 'the') because I was with a friend visiting his hometown. Had I more time I would have also visited San Francisco, at the very least.

To those who are dying to know, I was in OC (I've been careful not to prepend OC with 'the') because I was with a friend visiting his hometown. Had I more time I would have also visited San Francisco, at the very least.

I hope you can come back and let us help you heal your wounds with a trip up the coast....Big Sur and parts north, dude.

:smile:

I love the "We're in SF so we're better than OC" mentality. It's fantastic! The great city pecking order continues. People in Paris think they're better than people in NY who think they're better than people in SF who think they're better than people in LA who think they're better than people in OC who think they're better than people in all parts East and South respectively. It's quite hilarious. You guys are killing me.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I love the "We're in SF so we're better than OC" mentality. It's fantastic! The great city pecking order continues. People in Paris think they're better than people in NY who think they're better than people in SF who think they're better than people in LA who think they're better than people in OC who think they're better than people in all parts East and South respectively. It's quite hilarious. You guys are killing me.

Nobody claimed to be better--they claimed the food is better outside of Orange County, specifically San Francisco (and I'm sure here in Santa Cruz, which boasts some of the best farms in the country, and a population committed to supporting them). And in LA, though I haven't been there in almost a decade.

You won't find a discussion about "Why are there no truly great restaurants in San Francisco?" at eGullet. There is, however, considerable discussion along those lines about San Diego, which has a population (1.25 million) nearly twice that of San Francisco (725K). There are no good answers why two counties (SD and OC) so densely populated, and blessed with great farming conditions, haven't got the same kind of consciousness about growing good food and bringing it to the table in good restaurants. Which is not to say that everyone who lives in those places is inferior to me--it's not that at all. It's simply making an unassailable point that there has not been a movement towards the same standards that we in the greater Bay Area enjoy. (And pay for. Boy, do we pay.)

I don't see it as pecking order. I see it as something people could learn from. The better the food you grow, the better the food you eat. Find those good farms and support them.

You're right, and it has been so long since I stayed there that I forgot where the house was. Truth is, my sister kept us hostage the whole time and I was forced to cook--she's paranoid about being in public sometimes.

Boy, I really am stupid. Thanks for reminding me.

absolutely. and the correct abbreviation for san francisco, as per kevin meaney, is "frissy".

:blink: I don't think I even know of an art gallery in Laguna Niguel!

I do think that to base this discussion of good restaurants on a handful of cities in a large county is unfair. And what types of cuisine are we considering? I suspect that you might find some Mexican immigrants here that can name some mighty good hole-in-the-wall places that would rival anything you'd find in their home country.

Maybe. Just my humble ramblings...

Deb

Liberty, MO

We have the only city (Irvine) that has 299Ranches.

for the innocents from parts east: what jschyun is trying to tell you here is that irvine is the only store with two 99 ranch markets (this only becomes meaningful information once you visit one), not that it is the only city with 299 ranches.