• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dulles Corridor Restaurants

doctoro

Jamaica Jamaica is harder to find.  It is in the industrial park on Spring Street past the Herndon Parkway intersection (as you are going West) that has the green awnings.  They provide directions on their website.

If you know where Mom's Pies is on Spring Street (there's a self-storage and a pack-and-ship place in the same strip mall/park), Jamaica Jamaica is literally right behind it. The goat curry and oxtail are both tasty, but there are a lot of little bone chips, so be prepared for them.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Jasmine Cafe

Wow, I totally neglected Lake Anne plaza.

Cafe Montmartre has been a favorite of mine for years. An ecclectic mix of traditional french and vietnamese. It was originally just french, but the vietnamese owners (very nice people) have been adding some vietnamese dishes to the specials menu of late.

The dining room is austere and kind of noisy, seeing as the entire shopping center is made of concrete. The chairs aren't especially comfortable either, but I usually only go there in the summer when you can sit outside on the much more comfortable plastic lawn furniture.

I'm trying to be descriptive, but the furniture isn't what you go for. It's a great place for ordering a couple of artichokes vinegarette, a salmon carpaccio, and a few bottles of wine and eat and drink with friends and watch the children play in the fountain.

• 2 months later...

I plan to be at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum this Saturday with dh, our three kids, and one extra kid. We'll be celebrating ds #3's 11th birthday. A look at the museum's web site offers the disappointing news that the food within the facility is limited to McDonalds. :blink: Can someone point us to something close by that would make a day of looking at planes more fun for me? Thanks.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I plan to be at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum this Saturday with dh, our three kids, and one extra kid.  We'll be celebrating ds #3's 11th birthday.  A look at the museum's web site offers the disappointing news that the food within the facility is limited to McDonalds.  :blink:  Can someone point us to something close by that would make a day of looking at planes more fun for me?  Thanks.

Neither are exact matches to your request, but I'll bet you could make a good start by checking out this thread, and this thread, both of which cover that general area.

I've been to the museum but don't know the area well enough to make any specific reccommendations, but I'd think Asian or Latin, if I were you. (Note that this is a holiday weekend with school tours and people trying to keep visiting relatives from getting bored, so you may want to hit the museum as early as possible.)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sounds like a lost cause in terms of fun for you, however, the kids would probably enjoy eating at Hard Times Cafe in Herndon. They can play pool while you drink beer. Otherwise you can drop everyone off at the museum and go catch a movie at Worldgate.

"Don't be afraid of flavor" -- Tyler Florence

I plan to be at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum this Saturday with dh, our three kids, and one extra kid.  We'll be celebrating ds #3's 11th birthday.  A look at the museum's web site offers the disappointing news that the food within the facility is limited to McDonalds.  :blink:  Can someone point us to something close by that would make a day of looking at planes more fun for me?  Thanks.

Things are not beyond hope. Just south of the Air and Space Center (right across Route 50 from the "secret" entrance to A&S, in fact) is Chantilly Park Center, a nondescript plaza that contains some very good ethnic eats: Thai Basil, Picante! The Real Taco (good Mexican with interesting regional dishes), and Minerva (Indian, with a popular lunch buffet). There's also Rawal Kabob, which has Pakistani food.

So don't despair!

From the Udvar-Hazy Center go south on Route 28 about a half-mile, then west on 50 about a quarter-mile to the light at Airline Pkwy. Turn left at the 7-11 and you're there.

Lori, you could also swing by Wegman's, which is just a few miles from Udvar-Hazy, and get picnic makings (subs, pizza, soup, premade entrees, sushi, whatever floats your boat). I'm guessing there are some kind of picnic tables near the museum. Or bring some camp chairs and tailgate.

Thanks very much for all the ideas. I expect one meal will be eaten "out" and the other will be a picnic of some kind. I definitely plan a trip to Trader Joe's while I'm down there (is the closest one in Centerville?), so we'll prob have savory thins, cheese, fruit, and Total Greek yogurt for our picnic, though I love Wegmans and could go for something from there, too. Is Wegman's in Chantilly or _____?

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Wegmans is in Sterling. It's near the intersection of Rte 28 and Waxpool Road. About 6 miles from Udvar-Hazy, I'd guess. Trader Joe's is much closer to Udvar-Hazy and is also a good choice for pic-a-nic supplies. If you feel ambitiously foodie, there's a Grand Mart right across the street from TJ's for cheap meats and exotic produce and Asian and Hispanic products. I recommend picking up some Pocky for dessert. :rolleyes:

Wegmans is in Sterling. It's near the intersection of Rte 28 and Waxpool Road. About 6 miles from Udvar-Hazy, I'd guess. Trader Joe's is much closer to Udvar-Hazy and is also a good choice for pic-a-nic supplies. If you feel ambitiously foodie, there's a Grand Mart right across the street from TJ's for cheap meats and exotic produce and Asian and Hispanic products. I recommend picking up some Pocky for dessert. :rolleyes:

TJ and Wegmans are about equidistant from Udvar Hazy -- six miles to either sounds about right. For Wegmans you go north on 28, for TJs (and GrandMart) you go south on 28.

I think Wegmans claims to be in "Dulles," which is a new made-up town name favored by businesses north of the airport.

Thanks, Chantilly Bob. Obviously you are much more familiar with the area than I am, since you live much closer!

Lori, be sure to let us know what you did for food after your visit.

Lunch at The Real Taco was very nice. Dd and I shared a salad (first time I've had cactus, I think) and an order of carnitas. Everyone really enjoyed themselves. Dinner was a picnic from Trader Joe's. We went to White's Ferry just above Leesburg (on our way home) and ate overlooking the Potomac. We had ham, brie, and fresh basil leaves rolled up in lavash, Dubliner cheese slices cut with great dexterity with a plastic knife (our pocket knife which normally lives in the van was awol), crackers, and strange honey tangerines (some were good and some were horrid). I'd brought homemade choc chip cookies with espresso powder from home and we had a couple of chocolate covered bing cherries as we drove home. I did not open one of the FOUR containers of TJ's Triple Ginger Cookies I'd bought. They are hidden on a high pantry shelf to tide me over until my next TJ visit.

Thanks for all your time in making recommendations. It is SO valuable to people like me who "don't get out much."

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

• 2 months later...

We're moving to the Reston/Great Falls area in VA within 3 weeks and I would like some suggestions...

We are considering Euro Bistro as well as Turin Thai and Yoko on our next visit when we stay in a hotel for 2 weeks.

I would appreciate any new/updated places to go.

So far we went to the Haandi in Falls Church which was very good except they don't have poori! :blink::shock: WOW, I don't think I've ever had an indian restaurant NOT have that before. :wacko:

Lebanese Taverna :wub: in Tyson's corner and it was real nice and tasty, also we went to the Tortilla factory it wasn't bad... nice serving sizes and nice service for 9PM at night and a Thai place about 2 blocks before that but that wasn't anything to write home about, limited menu... tasty but limited. I am not into "red sauce italian" eww! But would like some non-steak&potato places.

Thanks everyone and I'd love any other places, things to do you can suggest that require minimum walking for us "mobility limited" folks. Take care... S.C.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

OOPS - also I heard there's a good Ethiopian restaurant in DC if anyone knows about it I'd be interested in this as well - any interesting cuisine would work but again preferably in northern Fairfax County! Thanks.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

OOPS - also I heard there's a good Ethiopian restaurant in DC if anyone knows about it I'd be interested in this as well - any interesting cuisine would work but again preferably in northern Fairfax County! Thanks.

Actually, there are lots of good Ethiopian place in DC -- if that's you're speed, you're in luck.

Check out some of the links in this thread which lists restaurants out of town as well as in town.

Don't know how mobility-limited you are, but whenever I get west of the city, I detour to Eden Center for a Vietnamese binge. I guess it's 20-25 minutes from Reston and worth the drive.

I'm on the pavement

I was definitely considering Eden Center Plaza but was warned off. They said there was a gang shooting there last month, something about a jewelry store robbery as well and it's constantly "watched" by "the gov't" so that is not necessarily a place I'd go for at least 1 year or until it cools off alot. :blink:

I'm not into ethiopian food per se but I like anything that is NOT steak & potatoes. :laugh:

I was definitely considering Eden Center Plaza but was warned off.  They said there was a gang shooting there last month, something about a jewelry store robbery as well and it's constantly "watched" by "the gov't" so that is not necessarily a place I'd go for at least 1 year or until it cools off alot.  :blink:

I'm not into ethiopian food per se but I like anything that is NOT steak & potatoes.  :laugh:

Anyone who warned you off Eden Center is utterly paranoid. The place is as perfectly safe as anywhere in the Metro area and moreso than places I walk through every day. That's like not eating dinner in North Jersey because Tony Soprano might come through. :laugh:

And, while you could go years without eating steak and potatoes in the area, when you do get a hankering for them you might want to make the drive into Arlington for the legendary Ray's the Steaks.

I'm on the pavement

If you're worried about being "watched by the government" you should probably choose another metro area. :rolleyes: Especially in Reston, home of all sorts of buildings that aren't what they seem.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I was definitely considering Eden Center Plaza but was warned off.  They said there was a gang shooting there last month, something about a jewelry store robbery as well and it's constantly "watched" by "the gov't" so that is not necessarily a place I'd go for at least 1 year or until it cools off alot.  :blink:

You'll be perfectly safe at Eden Center. You can have your throat slit in broad daylight in Georgetown you know. :sad:

I was at Eden Center a couple days ago, to try the banh mi place Tom Sietsema wrote up last week. The name escapes me but it's stall 17. The lovely owner is quite friendly -- even after I told her I was married and had two kids, she insisted on showing me a picture of her two daughters, both of whom are in dental school. :laugh:

I also nabbed an avocado bubble drink at Song Que (after reading someplace about how surprisingly good that flavor is). And yes indeedy, that was really good on a hot day after two tasty banh mi. I think I'm just going to work my way through their entire bubble drink menu, they all seem worth trying.

I'm not into ethiopian food per se but I like anything that is NOT steak & potatoes.  :laugh:

Anyone who warned you off Eden Center is utterly paranoid. The place is as perfectly safe as anywhere in the Metro area and moreso than places I walk through every day. That's like not eating dinner in North Jersey because Tony Soprano might come through. :laugh:

And, while you could go years without eating steak and potatoes in the area, when you do get a hankering for them you might want to make the drive into Arlington for the legendary Ray's the Steaks.

Actually the person that warned us is (or was?) with the government! :blink::laugh: so I won't say they are paranoid as much as they may be in the know or maybe they ARE paranoid? LOL! :shock: and actually the actor who plays Tony Soprano has often come to "The Ridge" (Park Ridge Diner) on occasion. :biggrin:

Anyhow - do you know anything about "The Russian House" in Herndon or about Pho 75? (I think it's a Vietnamese chain?) - Thanks again everyone!

Your new house is gorgeous! I am jealous. :angry:

Anyways, the Russia House is very expensive and the food is good but not worth the money. Go there for flavored vodka shots.

I've never had Pho, but there are many many Pho restaurants in the area. Recommendations come up frequently in Tom Siestema's weekly on-line chat at WashingtonPost.Com.

Here is a link that, if you scroll halfway down, will have some reviews of notable area restaurants. Your new home is close to El Manantial, a popular place with over-priced wine.

http://www.observernews.com/index.shtml

Of the restaurants on the list, I get lunch from Cafesano frequently, it's a real favorite of mine. As is Jasmine Cafe, always romantic and delightful.

There are just so many restaurants in Reston & Herndon, many little ethnic joints in strip malls plus all the big chain names, you'll never get bored. I am looking forward to hearing what places you try.

SBC cafe. One of the best sandwiches in DC.

In the same plaza is possibly my favorite indian resturant in the DC region, Minerva. I think that location is a bit better than the fairfax location so I make the drive out.

Yum. Go for lunch. I had this deep flied cauliflower dish that was covered in a spicy sauce last week (on the lunch buffet). It was amazing.

A Deli at Worldgate is currently making sandwiches as great as The Deli in Herndon (Elden Street Shopping Center) used to make. If you like great sandwiches, you will LOVE this place: www.adeli-inc.com.

Speaking of Indian Cuisine at the Clocktower, I had the grossest food ever at Chutney's. Salty sewage I think it was. I'm all for championing the veggie restaurants, but Bleh! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!