• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Denver Area Pizza

So, apparently, I'm in the mood to start new threads today...might have something to do with my boss being out of the office...

Anyway, I'm a pizza junkie (also a burger junkie, and a sushi junkie, and a...I guess I better not try any illegal drugs...) so I'm curious what everyone's fav local pizza places are.

For me, it depends on what kind of pizza I'm looking for. For a quick bite, I love Anthony's, especially the one downtown at 16th and California. Great NY style pizza and fairly authentic (read grungy) atmosphere. On the higher end, I've become a big fan of Proto's (Proto's Website). They've got some pretty interesting pizzas. My favorite there is the Goomba. Really cool atmosphere as well (we normally go to the one in Lafayette).

On a (kinda) related note, after having read the entire "NY Pizza Survey) thread I wonder if there are any foods/types of restaurants in Colorado that could use a similar survey...I can't think of anything 'iconic' to Denver like pizza is to New York...but it would be cool to figure something out. I don't think the "Denver Omelette Survey" cuts it....

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

On a (kinda) related note, after having read the entire "NY Pizza Survey) thread I wonder if there are any foods/types of restaurants in Colorado that could use a similar survey...I can't think of anything 'iconic' to Denver like pizza is to New York...but it would be cool to figure something out. I don't think the "Denver Omelette Survey" cuts it....

Well, there is the Taco Truck Crawl that came up at our Da Lat dinner as a possible group outing. :biggrin:

I am partial to Parisi's pizza, it is the most italian style that I've had in Denver. Basil Doc's used to be better than it is--I think that they have slipped under new ownership and with expansion. But, they are close to my house and they are better than a lot of the competition in spite of the slippage.

Proto's looks intriguing--I'm not familiar with them.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

I am partial to Parisi's pizza, it is the most italian style that I've had in Denver. Basil Doc's used to be better than it is--I think that they have slipped under new ownership and with expansion. But, they are close to my house and they are better than a lot of the competition in spite of the slippage.

I enjoyed Basil Doc's pizza when they had the DTC location. Parisi's pizza was ok to me, but the crust was too soft in the middle.

Edited by mtdew (log)

Well, there is the Taco Truck Crawl that came up at our Da Lat dinner as a possible group outing.  :biggrin:

Hillarious. Did you find the truck that I was talking about on the Mexican thread?

Give them a try, definitely worth it. Be prepared to spend a bit though...depending on wine, etc. my wife and I usually spend $50-ish

Edited by Chezhoff (log)

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Green chili or Colorado "Mexican" food.

Enzo's has some of the greatest pizza in America, and is by far my favorite in Denver. It's a thin-crust, New York style and thus a little reserved compared to some other credible spots that have a more effusive style. Just a wonderfull pie.

Enzo's End Pizza

(303) 355-4700 3424 E Colfax Ave

Denver, CO

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Well, my fave used to be Villa Napoli an operation that sort of floated around Arvada and Westminster for a while. They did the pizza by the slice as well, and they could get that crisp thin crust I love. Still the best double cheese, double onion I've had.

Right now I'd probably say the pizzas at The Med are my favorite. Probably because I'm cheap and damn they a good value. $4.75 for a Margherita that comes out hot, thin, and crisp is fine by me.

And, call me a homer, but I still enjoy Beau Jo's pizza. Yeah, it's not the best in the world, but it's unique enough to take me back to days in my childhood. Lived near the one that is/was in Arvada, and spent a few nights there long ago.

BTW, if you can order toppings, the only pizzas are double cheese, double onion and canadian bacon and onion. Anything else is heresy.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

I agree -- Proto's Pizzeria rocks -- especially the white clam pie, which Basil Doc's had perfected beyond reproach until the lovely couple who owned it sold to the guys who own Handlebar and Grill. Oblio's Pizzeria in Park Hill is also excellent, as is Vincenza's, especially their vegetarian slices, the width of which is only slighly smaller than the tire on a bulldozer.

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

I agree -- Proto's Pizzeria rocks -- especially the white clam pie

I'd totally forgotten about the clam pizzas. Now I may have to go tomorrow night. For the uninitiated, Proto's only serves the red and white clam pizzas on Friday nights.

Brian Hoffmeyer

Mmmmm...Proto's. They're the champs. Wonderful, light crust. I have not tried the clam pizza on Fridays, but after reading the raves here, it looks like a must. Has anyone been to any of the wine tastings/dinners the Lafayette Proto's has with the charming wine shop next door (Smashing Grapes)?

Waayyy on the other side of the city in Lone Tree, I like Santoro's.

I've had both good and bad experiences at Beau Jo's. The one in Idaho Springs, for example, seems better than the one on 470.

Nick-N-Willy's is good for take-and-bake, but only for something basic like a pepperoni and only if you use a pizza stone.

Went to Basil Doc's once around DTC area & wasn't that impressed, but I apparently missed it before it was sold to new owners.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

We tried the Proto's in Denver last night. Had the special of the night which was sausage, green pepper, basil and mozzerella. The pizza was pretty good, but for me the crust does not have enough chew. I like a thin crust, but theirs is a little too crackery for my taste. The sausage was not as good quality as it could have been, and the green peppers were kinda washed out from being kind of stewed ahead of time. IMHO, Parisi's is much better.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

but for me the crust does not have enough chew.

The crust is the one area, that to me, is slightly lacking. I don't think they have their ovens cranked up enough. I want to see blackened areas on the bottom of the crust. I can start (just start mind you!) to get this at home with my oven at 550 and a pizza stone that's been heating for 1/2 hour so I'd think their commercial ovens could achieve it.

I think it would be really cool if someone would try to make pizza in Colorado using a coal burning oven a la many of the great places in NYC.

Brian Hoffmeyer

Hey, I like their crust! Am I defective?

I wouldn't want that type of crust all the time, so I don't stick with just one place.

Yes, I am a pizza slut.

I haven't tried Parisi's, but that's definitely on my list now. Would you guys quit giving me such great recommendations? I'm spending too much money. :biggrin:

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I am a huge Protos fan! Granted, I am all about the thin crust - the more crackery the better -- but like Bryan H., I also like a good, dark edge with burned bits on the bottom. Solution: I always ask for my pie extra well-done, and I'm always happy.

Since moving here, I've been mystified by the popularity of Beau Jo's, which I dislike. Thoughts?

Hey, I like their crust! Am I defective?

Not at all...just a little warped.... :) It's not that I don't like their crust, I just don't always love it.

Yes, I am a pizza slut.

Admitting your problem is the first step in dealing with it...

Solution: I always ask for my pie extra well-done, and I'm always happy.

That's a great idea, I'd never thought of it. From a sheer "pizza making" perspective it isn't ideal as one advantage of a very hot fire, in addition to the char, is the 'spring' the dough gets from the heat causing big huge bubbles.

Maybe the next eGullet gathering should be at Pizzeria Bianco...yeah, that's it, after I win the lottery.

Brian Hoffmeyer

Since moving here, I've been mystified by the popularity of Beau Jo's, which I dislike. Thoughts?

When I first moved here, the two places recommended to me by co-workers, believe it or not, were Beau Jo's and Woody's. Both are fairly basic, and I've had good and bad pizzas from each. I guess Beau Jo's has the "gimmicky" squeeze bottle of honey on the table for the crust. Perhaps they have a clever history? Any natives care to share? (I'm too tired tonight to Google for pizza anecdotes.)

As for delivery, I have to go with Abo's. Their pies always arrive hot and fresh and the drivers from the location near me are nice.

Anybody know when the Boulder location of Proto's will open or where it's going in?

Did I just read that Chezhoff is flying us all to Pizzeria Bianco on his dime? May I at least pretend?

Edited by rlm (log)

I believe the new Protos will be in North Boulder (maybe on Iris?), opening sometime very soon -- like within a month or so. I'm with you on Abo's -- not as good as Proto's of course, but we're lucky to have it compared to all the nasty chain delivery pizza out there.

we're lucky to have it compared to all the nasty chain delivery pizza out there.

Yes, we only have three delivery options that I'm aware of here in this part of the 'burbs: Papa Johns, Domino's, and Abo's. Not exactly the World Council of Pizza Excellence, but at least Abo's doesn't taste like it was made three days ago and re-heated in a microwave.

Did I just read that Chezhoff is flying us all to Pizzeria Bianco on his dime? May I at least pretend?

Pretend away...I am in a Powerball pool with a bunch of other people here at work so, if we win, the trip's on. Please bear in mind that we've won nada, zip, zilch, the last three drawings so I wouldn't start applying extra sunscreen just yet.

On the subject of delivery, right now in Erie we can get Dominos, Pizza Butt, and (the local downtown Erie) Formaggio's. We are also close to Proto's in Lafayette of course. Formaggio's isn't bad though I find that you need to tell them to go light on the cheese otherwise there's just way to much. They also don't have their ovens cranked up enough.

I agree w/ y'all 'bout Abo's. Not the best, but certainly servicable, we make the drive over to the one in Broomfield once a month or so.

i'm not saying i will walk to it, just that it would be feasible.

Mongo: I'm am sure that this kinda of demographic data is exactly what Proto's management is basing their location decision on....

Brian Hoffmeyer

When I first moved here, the two places recommended to me by co-workers, believe it or not, were Beau Jo's and Woody's. Both are fairly basic, and I've had good and bad pizzas from each. I guess Beau Jo's has the "gimmicky" squeeze bottle of honey on the table for the crust. Perhaps they have a clever history? Any natives care to share? (I'm too tired tonight to Google for pizza anecdotes.)

As for delivery, I have to go with Abo's. Their pies always arrive hot and fresh and the drivers from the location near me are nice.

Anybody know when the Boulder location of Proto's will open or where it's going in?

Don't know that I can offer the definitive history of beau jo's or why it's so popular, but I can reminisce a bit.

I've only been to Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs. If you were travelling between denver and the mountains, there were two places to stop to eat...the buffalo bar (is that the right name?)and beau jo's, both in Idaho Springs. Both offered unique Idaho Springs experiences; there was nothing quite like them in denver or the ski towns. Raucous, filled with hungry people playing in the hills, escaping from the newly built I-70 or the older slower hwy 6. Pizza was also not the ubiquitous food it is now.

Beau Jo's original restaurant was in Idaho Springs, and my guess is that their expansion and popularity was due to their already being known to the skiing/hiking crowd.

As to my opinion of the pizza? The reason I haven't posted in this thread before is that pizza is one of the dishes to which I'm completely indifferent. On my own, I never eat pizza. When pizza's the only choice, I pick toppings off the crust, and eat them, leaving the crust behind. Good crust, bad crust, sublime crust...doesn't matter. Pizza leaves me cold. Thin crust pizza from the coal ovens in NYC in the 50's and 60's, at fifteen cents a slice, blackened crusty bottoms topped with tomato sauce and stretchy gooey cheese? I ate the cheese. Thick crust pizza from the original Pizza Uno or Gino's in Chicago in the late 60's, early 70's? I ate the sausage, I ate the peppers, I ate the cheese; left the crust.

And now that I've confessed, I should warn you. I'm even worse about burgers...

there were two places to stop to eat...the buffalo bar (is that the right name?)

Yep it was/is the Buffalo Bar. This is where we always stopped coming back from skiing. I still do sometimes but the food isn't nearly as good as the memories.

As to my opinion of the pizza? The reason I haven't posted in this thread before is that pizza is one of the dishes to which I'm completely indifferent. On my own, I never eat pizza. When pizza's the only choice, I pick toppings off the crust, and eat them, leaving the crust behind. Good crust, bad crust, sublime crust...doesn't matter. Pizza leaves me cold. Thin crust pizza from the coal ovens in NYC in the 50's and 60's, at fifteen cents a slice, blackened crusty bottoms topped with tomato sauce and stretchy gooey cheese? I ate the cheese. Thick crust pizza from the original Pizza Uno or Gino's in Chicago in the late 60's, early 70's? I ate the sausage, I ate the peppers, I ate the cheese; left the crust.

And now that I've confessed, I should warn you. I'm even worse about burgers...

HERETIC! UNBELIEVER! Stone and then Burn Him.

OTOH, maybe not, just leaves more pizza and burgers for the rest of us! :smile:

Brian Hoffmeyer

... go to india and see what our versions of pizza look like. better still you should try my mother's "pizza"--which she stopped making after pizza hut opened up shop.

Okay, I'll bite. What do Indian versions of pizza look like?

Edited by afoodnut (log)

Well, I have to admit that Pizza Hut India's menu was not weird enough for me. Heck, I could dig eating lamb korma or chicken tikka pizzas.

I was hoping I could find something to rival Japanese pizza which is still number-one odd. I love looking through Domino's Japan or Pizza California menus. It's good practice to keep up your katakana skills.

I think America needs roe pizzas, or names like Giga Meat or Garlic Master.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

Well, I have to admit that Pizza Hut India's menu was not weird enough for me. Heck, I could dig eating lamb korma or chicken tikka pizzas.

that menu is fusion right there.

it is arguably only on an indian restaurant's menu that you'd find the word "arguably".

i was referring not so much to toppings as to the crust. pizza hut is a different story, of course. before these purveyors of "authentic" pizza showed up pizza crusts were textutrally often closer to certain indian breads--such as bhaturas (soft, chewy). not true across the board of course.

my nephews love pizza hut--always try to drag me there. maybe next time i'll try the chicken tikka pizza; can't be any more bizarre than california pizza kitchen's tandoori chicken pizza.

edit to add: in fact delhi now has something called the naan-zaa; a naan with toppings a la pizza. eat your heart out tabla.

Edited by mongo_jones (log)