• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Museum dining: your experiences

Gifted Gourmet

article from Bloomberg UK

When I read this article on dining at the Tate Galleries in London, it made me think a bit about other experiences I have had eating at other museums ...

There is a lovely, ultra modern cafeteria in the British Museum where I always made it a point to stop perusing the galleries and checking out the wide range of foods available to museum goers ...

the Gallery café is self-service and offers a range of hot and cold light meals, including vegetarian options, morning coffee and afternoon tea. Exhibition themed menu available
.. (their description is better than mine)

The Cafe at the Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna has an elegant display of all types of Austrian strudel served in an elaborately baroque atrium on the second floor .... but extremely overpriced .. a smoked salmon sandwich with coffee and strudel ran almost $20 ...photograph and description (note: click on Information, then on Cafe to see the picture) :wink:

The Louvre has a restaurant with a long wait so we opted for something more cafeteria style to eat and get back to the museum itself ...

Any experiences with museum food that you might wish to share with us here? let's hear about what and where you ate! :biggrin: Or was it so tangential to the entire experience that you remember it only vaguely and, in fact, rushed through it and wanted to get back to the museum itself?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

If you visit San Francisco, I hope you'll stop in at the Mario Botta-designed San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA -- full disclosure: I'm a member). If you do, have lunch at the cafe. The food is surprisingly good -- head and shoulders above what it was at the old location in the War Memorial Veteran's Building.

Also check out the view at the cafe at the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum and its Garden Terrace overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The food in this cafe is quite competent, though nothing stellar.

The fairly new Asian Art Museum, housed in the re-architected former Main Library, has an open-air cafe offering a wide variety of fare from Bento boxes to rice bowls and sushi. The Asian also features a Japanese Tea Room which was created in Japan, disassembled and shipped, then reassembled in the Asian's Japanese Galleries on the second floor, complete with a traditional mizuya (kitchen). The museum offers a bi-monthly introduction to chanoyu, the traditional Japanese tea ceremony.

Cheers,

Squeat

Since I have been planning to visit SFMOMA for some time now, I think your post has made it imperative that I now do so with alacrity! Thanks for the impetus to get me moving on this very important museum, Squeat!! :biggrin:

The restaurant at the Hartford Atheneum (a very good, small museum) is a destination in itself for locals.

Would love to hear a few more details on this place, Sandra, should you wish to share them with us ... :biggrin:

One of the few downfalls of the Smithsonian is the lack of good food. Air & Space brought in McDonald's a few years ago. While it is perfect for most of the tourists who visit, it leaves those who appreciate a good meal in a lurch.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

One of the few downfalls of the Smithsonian is the lack of good food. Air & Space brought in McDonald's a few years ago. While it is perfect for most of the tourists who visit, it leaves those who appreciate a good meal in a lurch.

As usual, Hillvalley is totally correct. The Smithsonian museums have pretty dismal choices - lots of cafeteria-style places to get soggy salads and heat-lamped sandwiches: a place that goes for a "retro soda fountain" look in the Museum of American History but fails miserably; the McDonalds and KFCs mentioned previously; a very pretty, rather pricey atrium garden cafe in (I think) the National Gallery of Art, which if I remember, had really awful, steamtable food.

There are good restaurants within easy walking distance, though.

Although I still think your best bet is either pack a lunch or assemble one of hotdogs and firecrackers to eat sprawled on the grass on the Mall.

Have been to two museums lately, both with children, in NYC.

(Actually, I guess you wouldn't call The Central Park Zoo a museum! though it is the equivalent in many ways!)

It has been fifteen years since I've visited either place and was incredibly impressed at how both have grown and expanded. The physical spaces are much cleaner and brighter.

The food at The Central Park Zoo was not too great, though attempts had been made to re-design and prettify the basic menu offerings they did have.

I was very impressed with The Natural History Museum's cafeteria, however.

Lovely fresh salads, creative approaches to sandwiches, fruits, pastries, and a real attempt to offer food kids like that went beyond the usual. I had a great gazpacho, gorgeously garnished and displayed even though the huge glass it was in was plastic...I felt very well taken care of there. My ten year old daughter was wowed by a colorful fresh fruit and yogurt parfait and my nine year old son had some sort of piled up conglomeration of fresh fish and chips packaged up in a box that looked like a pirate ship... :laugh:

Restaurant Associates runs the account, I believe.

Prices not higher than any usual, in this sort of situation though it always feels like someone is saying to me "There's a sucker born every minute" when I pay for eating with two kids in any museum, movie theatre, or public entertainment spot!!!! :blink:

There is a very good gelato stand in the food court area between the two buildings of the Smithsonian's National Gallery of Art.

That's about it though.

Actually, the National Gallery of Art isn't technically part of the Smithsonian. Their waterfall at the cafe is wonderful, the food is just lousy.

There is a dining room in the Castle, but you have to be either staff or a member to diner there (I think). The food is decent but expensive and not worth it.

I'm right there with Squeat on the San Francisco Asian Art Museum -- about a month after it opened and Shawn and I visited, we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Not only were the bento box lunches quite good, they were served in really beautiful china (at least the soups were -- stunning bowls).

Interesting how the Patina Group has a stronghold on many California museums -- they are at Santa Ana's Bowers Museum, Pasadena's Norton Simon, Napa's Copia, La Canada's Descano Gardens, and Los Angeles' Museum of Fine Art AND Museum of Contemporary Art. They bid on the Getty and didn't get that gig! I'll give them credit though -- they do serve pretty decent food and the restaurant at the Bowers is probably my favorite (called Tangata) as it has a lovely setting and acceptable food.

I'll second the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum. We were there a couple of weeks ago and when someone on the way mentioned a cafeteria, I expected the worst but was pleasantly surprised.

The cafeteria at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich serves a wonderful brie and walnut and grape sandwich, among other things.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

The newly built Oklahoma City Museum of Art is a destination to see the most comprehensive collection of Dale Chihuly's art glass, as well as other art collections, and is also becoming known for the dining experience in it's Museum Cafe. Thursday evening cocktails on the rooftop terrace is also becoming a popular event. Check out the museum website for more info on all: www.okcmoa.com

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

The National Gallery of Art: dining possibilities

I have to admit that this looks very lovely and varied for visitors ... :biggrin:

Don't get your hopes up. I've fallen victim to this scam before. It looks fantastic on paper, but in real life the food is a let down. Granted, I have higher expectations than the average tourist, but it's still lousy.

When you come down, walk a few blocks up 7th and you will find great eats!

While not at a museum, the Kennedy Center's Rooftop Terrace Restaurant and Bar is reportedly a great dining opportunity. Have not personally tried it though -- tried to go on a Saturday before a matinee I was taking my daughter to, but they weren't open for lunch. Anyone else given it a whirl?

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Thanks, FunJohnny .. I just read this and it looks quite lovely:

This is rooftop dining at its best, and awe-inspiring views of the Washington skyline and the Potomac compete with the impressive spread laid out in the kitchen for Sunday brunch. Prepare to sample crab cakes, grilled salmon, custom-made omelets, French toast, pasta dishes, fresh squeezed juices, champagne, fresh breads and muffins, and desserts like chocolate-pecan tart and dense flourless chocolate cake

The view alone must be delightful on a clear day! :biggrin:

Have any of you tried the Café des Artistes at the Corcoran?

Café des Artistes @ Corcoran

I love their galleries but have never tried the cafe.

btw, I loved that Ice Cream Parlor on the rare occasion we were able to eat there when I was a little girl. The Waterfall still intrigues/soothes (the peoplemover was mindblowing...a flat escalator?!) and I never got to try the Freeze-Dried Ice Cream.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The Waterfall still intrigues/soothes

I've always been fond of the waterfall - and it doesn't hurt that you can sit and eat the gelato and hear the rushing water. It's a particularly nice way to end up a day trudging round the Mall.

I never got to try the Freeze-Dried Ice Cream.

You didn't miss anything. It tastes like vaguely fruit-flavored Styrofoam.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

When I lived in London, I frequently popped into the National Gallery, where the restauarant had excellent, fresh sandwiches and soups. Did the same thing at the Victoria and Albert, however once they started charging admission, it got trickier. I made friends with a gaurd who worked the door closest to the restaurant, and she let me in for lunch. They have a lovely cellar restaurant, with seperate stations, hot and cold. Nothing like a smoked trout salad while listening to a string trio!

Here in Seattle, both the Seattle Art Museum and Frye have good restaurants. I've gone to the Frye just for lunch - inventive salads and sandwiches and excellent desserts.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Another vote for the gelato bar! :smile:

But, then, I actually like the ice cream bar at the American History Museum, as well...

The freeze dried ice-cream... well, I used to get it when I was a kid. I went to a small Catholic school on Capitol Hill, and it seemed like anytime they didn't know what to do with us, they marched us all down to the Air and Space Museum. The gift shop was a popular exhibit there. :rolleyes:

Another vote for the gelato bar! :smile:

But, then, I actually like the ice cream bar at the American History Museum, as well...

The freeze dried ice-cream... well, I used to get it when I was a kid. I went to a small Catholic school on Capitol Hill, and it seemed like anytime they didn't know what to do with us, they marched us all down to the Air and Space Museum. The gift shop was a popular exhibit there. :rolleyes:

Did you go to St. Peters?

During I asked about the ice cream. Turns out it's bogus. Which is fine since it was pretty awful anyway. The gift shop at the Air & Space is the most popular in the city and I think it takes in the most revenue. Or at least it used to.

When I visit Kansas City I always stop at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. They have a wonderful restaurant, the Rozelle Court. It's modeled after an Italian open air court, and is just a beautiful spot for lunch. The meals I've had there have always been very fresh and well-prepared.