• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food photography in India

Monica, if you feel up to it, go to an Ayurvedic store and take photos of herbal medicines and powders, with explanations.

And I also have an odd thought: If there are posters advertising dishes in McDonalds or KFC that aren't available in the U.S., get pictures. In Malaysia, I recall that they were selling some local-style dishes. I didn't go in but did see signs when I passed a McDonalds in KL. Curry puffs, I think, and something else - asam chicken or something? I can't remember now.

Michael aka "Pan"

Monica, if you feel up to it, go to an Ayurvedic store and take photos of herbal medicines and powders, with explanations.

And I also have an odd thought: If there are posters advertising dishes in McDonalds or KFC that aren't available in the U.S., get pictures. In Malaysia, I recall that they were selling some local-style dishes. I didn't go in but did see signs when I passed a McDonalds in KL. Curry puffs, I think, and something else - asam chicken or something? I can't remember now.

More cool thoughts

keep them coming

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Well, one possibility is to take some photos of food made by minority groups like the Afghans, Tibetans - whichever interesting groups are in the areas you'll be travelling to. Any Jains around? Visit their temples. You're going to Goa, right? Maybe the Catholics there have Sunday meals at church? Etc.

Michael aka "Pan"

Monica,

I would be interested to see any unusual (to us 'Westerners') cooking utensils, appliances and prep-methods.

Also uncommon fruit and produce.

Thank you and I wish you a successful voyage with a happy return (to report).

Peter

Monica,

What a facinating project. A few more thoughts. How about:

-depicting the food table at special occasions such as weddings, funerals, birthdays, and other such events?

-showing and describing food traditions,customs, or manners (every culture has them, and they are interesting to all)

-showing photos of variations of same dish based on the region of the country

-showing the decor, tables, and food variety at various kinds of restaurants from the street vendors as someone suggested, to the local hangouts, to the very fanciest restaurants