• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster'd out on the Maine Coast

lala

I've done my research, have a folder bulging with fantastic restaurant ideas for my trip to the Mid Maine Coast and Mt. Desert in September...however, they're all for seafood restaurants, and hot dog shacks! Since we'll be touring the coast, with 4 nights on Mt. Desert, can anyone steer me in the direction of good restaurants, lunch and dinner that may not feature seafood, or that have noteworthy land animal entrées? I ask because my traveling companion is now declaring that he's not even sure that he likes lobster. But he's my Dad, so I can't shoot him... :wink:

Ideas? We're looking at Brunswick, Bath, Rockport (most likely Primo's, but any suggestions....), Castine (have a room booked, haven't seen a single restaurant recc for this town - is it a black hole?), and Mt. Desert.

Thanks for any and all help! :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

On MDI and environs, while there is plenty of seafood, you won't be at a loss for land birds and mammals. And virtually all full-service "seafood" restaurants offer "landlubber" choices, though much will be no better than passable.

George's in Bar Harbor (generally expensive, but there are some economical options) does fine red meat (lamb included; and about 10 or 12 years ago I had boar there). There are also any number of Italian restaurants in Bar Harbor and also in Southwest Harbor. The pizza at Little Notch in Southwest is excellent.

In Ellsworth, just before you get to MDI, try the Riverside Cafe for high quality diner-like choices. There are a number of other non-seafood choices in Ellsworth, but I haven't tried them for a while so am reluctant to offer specific recommendations.

It's been quite some time, but back in 1984 I took a schooner trip for a week, and the second night out we anchored in Castine. After dinner on board, we headed to the local pub (which as I recall was in the basement/ground floor of a building, perhaps a hotel, within one or two blocks of the dock). Had a full menu, though we just got beer and lots of fried clams.

That said, there are a few decent restaurants on Blue Hill peninsula, where Castine is located. But you may have to travel 20-30 minutes or so to the village of Blue Hill to find them.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thanks for the tips. A pub in Castine will make him very happy (All I could find in searches was 'fine dining' :wacko: in the hotels, but there were NO reccs for any of these on any food sites!). Thanks! :biggrin:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

In Bath, try Beale St. BBQ. Good smoky Memphis style ribs, chicken, pulled pork. Yes I've had better - in Kansas City - but for a change of pace from seafood, defnitely worth a stop. Great fries (rice is the weakest of their side selections, decent but not a rave).

Also, there's always a great eclectic blues compilation on the sound system. If you don't like blues, you may want to avoid the place, but if you do, you'll feel right at home.

And if you don't have the Five Islands dock on your list for lobster, let me know & I'll post directions (14 miles from Bath). It's the best I've found in 30 years of scouring the Maine coast. Just some picnic tables on the dock, great coastal views, & the freshest lobster ever. (Corn, slaw, chips, burgers & dogs available too.)

Yikes, just saw your other thread. I think 5 Islands stays open thru the end of Sept. but am not certain. It's a lovely drive out there, but I'd call first if you want to venture out there later in the month.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks for the tip, ghostrider! I'll definately put Beale St. in the folder.

5 Islands is only open on weekends in Sept, which, unfortunately is not going to work on this trip. ( I had a fantastic place all picked out to stay, too...). It'll go into the 'next time' folder!

Weekends only? Oh noooooo...... :shock: I had a memory that they truncated their schedule in Sept. but couldn't recall the details. Turns out we're going to be in the area first week in Sept. & I was hoping for my usual daily lobster roll. Gotta take advantage of those weekends I guess & be content with that.

BTW, Beale St. BBQ is on the block behind Bath's main street, going away from the Kennebec, facing the municipal parking area.

They recently (within the last year) opened a branch in Augusta, I guess they're doing well.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

There is a Beale St BBQ within a mile of my home in South Portland, right over the Bridge from Portland. I, uhh... go there a lot... :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Weekends only?  Oh noooooo......  :shock:  I had a memory that they truncated their schedule in Sept. but couldn't recall the details.  Turns out we're going to be in the area first week in Sept. & I was hoping for my usual daily lobster roll.  Gotta take advantage of those weekends I guess & be content with that.

BTW, Beale St. BBQ is on the block behind Bath's main street, going away from the Kennebec, facing the municipal parking area.

They recently (within the last year) opened a branch in Augusta, I guess they're doing well.

Hmmm...I think it's after labor day that they go to weekends only?... Give 'em a call to be sure, wouldn't want to give you the wrong information, and falsely deprive you! :wink:

Edited by lala (log)

Well, we're gonna be so close to the place, + arriving on Sat, think I'm just going to drive over & check out their schedule in person whilst wolfing a lobster roll or two. :raz:

johnnyd - you're right (well of course you are, you live there!) - noticed the Portland branch listed on the menu in the Augusta branch. Maybe they started out in Portland? I first knew them in Bath.

Well, I spent two nights in Castine at the Pentagoet, a lovely B&B with very profuse potted plants and excellent granola. This was a few years ago. The best meals we had were at a long, narrow place right on the water, I googled around and think it was probably Dennet's Wharf. If you see that the ceiling is covered with dollar bills mysteriously stuck in place with thumbtacks, you're in the right spot. If you're there with a lot of other tourists, on a summer weekend, say, you can wait till some other sucker asks and then you won't have to lose a dollar to the manager to see how it's done.

Just a good honest tavern with a number of local brews.

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens