• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer soups

I had a fab tomato soup at Cafe Atlantico last Friday. The bowl came with halved charry tomatos and chunks of watermelon with a drip of balsamic vinegar on top looking all faux-pit. The waiter then poured the chilled soup table side. Yum.

I had a wonderful chilled sweet corn soup recently at Charlie Palmer Steak that was delicious after we added a little salt. It had an airy lobster flan in the middle of it, so those of you who won't eat seafood would probably not like it. Citronelle is currently serving a vichysoisse with leak foam and potato croutons that I like very much. I like cold soup, too.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

Montmartre -- great summer pea soup, at least they had it on the lunch menu when I was there about a month ago.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Don't forget Firefly's cold summer pea soup. Creamy-rich and with a strong pea flavor. Yum.

Mal beat me to it. Go to Firefly for John's pea soup.

Of course, you could always make your own :shock:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Had a thick, refreshing tomato gazpacho with lots of basil oil at Mendocino Bar and Grille last week, although it was a restaurant week item and I don't know if it remains on the current menu.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

2nd the opinion re: the Mendocino gazpacho. Of course Gazpacho is fairly ubiquitous at this time of year, but the Childe Harold version is also very good -- served with dollops of guac and sour creme.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Don't forget Firefly's cold summer pea soup. Creamy-rich and with a strong pea flavor. Yum.

Mal beat me to it. Go to Firefly for John's pea soup.

Of course, you could always make your own :shock:

With the way I feel right now? Not likely. I just got back from the endodontist (he was HOT, I feel compelled to add) so if anyone feels like delivering soup, my address is...

John W.,

What's that gazpacho that Kaz makes?

So much pea, so little cuke.

Gazpacho the Spanish way. No mucking about. Put some raw tuna in it and everyone's a winner.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

melon and muscat everywhere,

and every drop to sip,

chilly and sweet it is,

devoid of seafood too miss,

lincoln's and booth's ghosts (suspended in apotheosis) observe,

and be wary for bottomless pits DO exist.

another fav ive mentioned before,

in another thread, on a different shore,

suffice to say: its never been closer to home,

if summer truffles and peas disincline you to roam.

conundrum-solving prize:

for one correct answer: an umbrella. engraved. by me. to you. aided only by my teeth.

for both: the umbrella (naturally) PLUS a 91 l'etoile banyuls extra vieux. NOT corked. really, i checked it myself.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

tell me more about this umbrella, please.

it will devishly meet your egg-spectations.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

there was a little blurb in today's food section about Buck's tomato, corn, and beet summer soup. it sounds good.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Having enjoyed the gazpacho at Breadline at lunch today, I can strongly recommend it. It is chunky style with lots of kick. I'm not sure my co-workers appreciate all the red onion as much as I did but that's just too bad.

I'm not from DC, but Jose Andres made a spectacular strained gazpacho when I took a cooking class with him in NYC this spring. (And I've figured out that you can save the strained vegetables, freeze them, and serve over summer vegetables - making this a double duty recipe).

I'd call and see if he serves this at Jaleo, Minibar, etc. and go wherever you can get it.