• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Between Austin and Fort Worth

foodie52

If you are going the 'back way' (71 to 281, then north on 281), after Marble Falls it is pretty desolate. In fact, after Waco in I-35, it's pretty desolate, except for chains. Really, until you get to Fort Worth, a bag of jerky probably would be in order.

There is, of course, Mikeska's BBQ in Temple. WHile nothing to write home about, they do serve smoked prime rib sometimes.

Frank in Austin

I used to stop in the town of West. If you go into the town itself, not the places adjacent to IH-35, there was a place to eat breakfast that wasn't too bad. It wan't memorable, either, or I would remember the name. There is also a butcher shop there that has some locally made sausages.

Waco is almost equidistant between the cities. There are a few decent options there (burgers at George's, the "gut pack" at Vitek's, etc.), but nothing worth writing home about. But about 20 minutes north of Waco is West, a Czech community which is noted for its kolaches. That might be worth a stop.

Scott

I do the drive between Austin and Dallas often. Usually I try to time my drive so I arrive into Dallas before 8:30am, so my options are limited.

A few thoughts on West:

Czech American Restaurant II exit 351 254-826-3460 It is open 24 hours day/ days a week and is a pretty good option for breakfast. I have never had anything besides breakfast there.

Nemececk Bros. Meat Market 300 N. Main, West Nemececk

There are several bakeries on Main street in West, 5 minute drive off of 35. I been to Kolacek’s Bakery, but can not say if it is better or worse than the other bakeries in town. kolacek's

I do think it is worth driving into town as compared to the gas stations with bakery counters along I35.

OK, if you're looking for something a bit different, the Elite Cafe has been in Waco since 1920. And the place is pretty cool historically if you don't mind getting off I-35 and taking a spin around the Waco traffic circle. The last time I was there was a few years ago. Servings are not large, nor fancy, but the food was good, and you can eat comfort American or Tex-Mex simple fare.

Their web site is being redesigned so couldn't get to that, but here is a pic and here is today's news story from Waco on the recently re-opened Elite Cafe.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Thanks to everyone. I've eaten at the Elite and it was pretty good.

However, we took the backroads to Ft. Worth and ended up eating at the Koffee Kup in Hico both going and coming back! Great down home food and an amazing PIE menu. I'd even consider doing a day tour just to go back....why doesn't Austin have something like this? Or does it?

On the other hand, Lonesome Dove ( at quadruple the price ) left a lot to be desired.

And this might be too little, too late, but in case someone else pulls up this thread for a future trip...

In addition to West, and buying ring bologna from the afore-mentioned Nemecek Bros, I usually stop in at Abbott and get some smoked turkey. There's a restaurant there which is pretty bad, but the smoked turkey to go is great.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...

I'm doing a bit of a Kolache tasting in West tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else had any other reccomendations. Actually, after the pastries, I'll probably want a proper meal. Has anyone dined at Sulak's Cafe or had anything other than breakfast at Czech American Restaurant?

Oh, Turkey Shop & Cafeteria has closed.

Rice pie is nice.

I have eaten at the Czech American restaurant a couple of times for a late lunch or early dinner, but never for breakfast. It's worth a visit.

Do take a cooler and stop at Nemecek's for their sausage on your way back to Dallas.

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this thread, but I would avoid Heitmiller's steakhouse like the plague. The steaks might be good (although I remember mine being pretty fatty), but the atmosphere, sides, drinks, and everything else is grim. For example, the salad dressings for your warm, limp iceberg salads are in squeeze bottles on the tables. Our waitress looked like she'd rather be any place other than serving us.

We're still looking for a really good place to stop for a meal along this route, and have decided to limit our search to Waco for now. I'd like to try Lake Brazos Steakhouse and Dock's Riverfront. Has anyone been to these places?

BTW, here's a link to a thread I started some time ago on another board asking, "For those times when you are travelling and aren't able to research places to eat, are there any good chain restaurants in Texas?"

I went to Cheeves Steakhouse when I was visiting family in Temple last Christmas. I thought it was exceptionally good - much better than my memories of the Elite Cafe in Waco. According to my mother, they are not open for lunch on week-ends (and they are closed on Sundays), but you could call to make sure. To get there, you would have to take Hwy 53 east if you are going north on I35, and take Central Ave to downtown, and turn right on 2nd Street and right on Avenue A. There is an Italian restaurant next door that is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried that yet. It probably has the same open schedule, since they cater to people who work downtown. I really liked the white linen tablecloths at Cheeves. We used to shop there when it was a store instead of a restaurant, and it was about the last of the downtown stores to close. I loved shopping in downtown Temple as a child, back in th 1950s.

You could also try stopping in Salado, which my mother likes more than I do.

Late to the game, too, but you should try the restauranat at the Rough Creek Lodge in Glen Rose. It may not look like much from the outside, but once inside you will not be disappointed. Beautiful setting, rustic charm, high ceilings, dual-sided fireplace, and great food. Chef Gerard Thompson has been there since its inception 1998. They also have a small number of very nicely appointed guest rooms (<40). It's southeast of Fort Worth, so I guess that makes it between Austin and Fort Worth.

http://www.roughcreek.com/dining/

• 1 year later...

I was just at a place in Waco called Mirth. I gather it was (unti recently) lunch-only, but it's now a dinner spot. Short, focused menu which looks like it rotates weekly. I had a trio shots of soups (corn-coconut, tomato-tarragon, pea-mint), baked crab cakes, and a small lemon pudding cake. My friend had a spinach salad, lobster croquettes, and creme brulee. Everything was quite good. The space is very nice, at least once you're inside the building (it's in a little strip mall). I hope this place can make it in Waco; it's clearly very serious about food without being particularly expensive.

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu