• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does your man cook?

My man cooks. :smile: Not as well as me, :biggrin: but he has some great signature dishes. For instance, he makes one of the best stir frys I have ever tasted. He also, (of course) does the majority of the grilling in the house and he also makes most of our weekend breakfast. I must confess, he makes better easy over fried eggs than I do. He also makes awesome Greek Ribs and a to die for Denver sandwich. :smile: And unlike me, he cooks by "feel" rather than by recipe. I'm getting better at this, but he's great at it.

He is also particularly good at judging when a dish needs a "little something". Not only that, he can actually identify what it needs.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

He cooks. Not often, and with a recipe, but he does do it, and does it quite well. (I'm trying to teach him -- more on that another time :wacko: ) More often, we'll cook together as he says thats the easiest way for him to learn, and he never has to measure ingredients! (I do it by eye most of the time.) Of course, 80% of the time, I do the cooking unless the grill is involved. He is a master and I haven't ordered a steak in a restaurant in a couple years! :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

One of the advantages of marrying a guy who's been living on his own for 10 years is that he has some level of kitchen compentancy. Further, for the first three years of our marriage Blovie did almost all of the cooking. I worked long, crazy hours and he got home before me so he cooked dinner every night. There's nothing better after a long, stressful day than coming home to a good dinner.

Most of what he makes is fairly simple. But, he's a better cook than he admits to and he's got a very good palate.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My man cooks zero-zilch-nada. Doesn't make coffee or tea. If I ask nice he'll crack open a beer or soda. Even then, he does it with a dour 'tude.

When we were a younger, unmarried duo he would make spaghetti with ground turkey breast and store bought garlic bread (gah). He doesn't do dishes, either. And we have no automated dishwashin.'

Good thing (mostly for him) that I am a 'domestic' gal! :wacko:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

:sad: sigh .... :sad: see my previous 2000+ posts ... deeper sigh ....

I guess this incident rather set the tone for his level of cooking when we were first married .. he made scrambled eggs for me and used allspice thinking it was a blend of several types of savory spices .. I choked it down amid tears of laughter .. it tasted like pumpkin pie .. he was crushed ... and I said, "that's nothing to fret about" and he really never forgot that and subsequently encouraged me to continue with meals he has loved ...

As we all know only too well, it is all about tasting as one cooks .. he doesn't ... sigh .... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My man cooks zero-zilch-nada. Doesn't make coffee or tea. If I ask nice he'll crack open a beer or soda. Even then, he does it with a dour 'tude.

When we were a younger, unmarried duo he would make spaghetti with ground turkey breast and store bought garlic bread (gah). He doesn't do dishes, either. And we have no automated dishwashin.'

Good thing (mostly for him) that I am a 'domestic' gal! :wacko:

Mine does do dishes and does them well - on most nights anyway

why is everyone growling at the title - I think its relevant dont you :laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Don't have a current BF, but can definitely relate dear old Dad's cooking here... we don't let him cook, because we wouldn't get our food until the following morning. Seriously. If the recipe says 1/4-inch dice for the onions, Dad's there with the ruler making sure all of the pieces are 1/4 inch. We let him make the cranberry relish last year for Thanksgiving and it took about 3 hours. With my sister's help. And like, 30 different utensils. :blink:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Don't have a current BF, but can definitely relate dear old Dad's cooking here... we don't let him cook, because we wouldn't get our food until the following morning. Seriously. If the recipe says 1/4-inch dice for the onions, Dad's there with the ruler making sure all of the pieces are 1/4 inch. We let him make the cranberry relish last year for Thanksgiving and it took about 3 hours. With my sister's help. And like, 30 different utensils. :blink:

MY DAD COOKS LIKE THAT!!!! The kitchen looks like a hurricane went thru it -- but man are the results awesome

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Ahem.

My woman cooks, a little. But I do almost all of the cooking. Which is okay, because this way I get out of doing the laundry. Score!

You can play too :raz:

I hate doing the laundry.. I can cook as much as anyone wants.. but I really hate folding laundry hate it hate it hate it

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

:sad: sigh .... :sad: see my previous 2000+ posts ... deeper sigh ....

I guess this incident rather set the tone for his level of cooking when we were first married .. he made scrambled eggs for me and used allspice thinking it was a blend of several types of savory spices .. I choked it down amid tears of laughter .. it tasted like pumpkin pie .. he was crushed ... and I said, "that's nothing to fret about" and he really never forgot that and subsequently encouraged me to continue with meals he has loved ...

As we all know only too well, it is all about tasting as one cooks .. he doesn't ... sigh .... :sad:

:sad:

:laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

My man is a great cook, however I cook more. He does decadent steaks and grilled stuff, but I have the edge in most everything else and am usually the one to try new recipes and tweak them for him.

He cooks. Not often, and with a recipe, but he does do it, and does it quite well. (I'm trying to teach him -- more on that another time :wacko: ) More often, we'll cook together as he says thats the easiest way for him to learn, and he never has to measure ingredients! (I do it by eye most of the time.) Of course, 80% of the time, I do the cooking unless the grill is involved. He is a master and I haven't ordered a steak in a restaurant in a couple years! :wub:

That must be nice. :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Don't have a current BF, but can definitely relate dear old Dad's cooking here... we don't let him cook, because we wouldn't get our food until the following morning.  Seriously.  If the recipe says 1/4-inch dice for the onions, Dad's there with the ruler making sure all of the pieces are 1/4 inch.  We let him make the cranberry relish last year for Thanksgiving and it took about 3 hours.  With my sister's help.  And like, 30 different utensils.  :blink:

MY DAD COOKS LIKE THAT!!!! The kitchen looks like a hurricane went thru it -- but man are the results awesome

I will not argue - the man makes fabulous crab cakes. You just have to get him started a little earlier than the average cook and be prepared for some extra clean up duties. Because he'll flop right on the sofa when he's done and declare "I cooked."

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Yep sounds like a sexist thread to me :laugh:

The answer is I do all the cooking that "we" or guest eat. I have trained the kitchen to attack my wife on site.

The only wife friendly appliance is the microwave. The dogs and I don't eat her cooking for fear of food poisoning.

We were stupid enough to eat her idea of meat tomato sauce. The dogs and both of us were sick for two days.

Never trust a skinny chef

Ahem.

My woman cooks, a little. But I do almost all of the cooking. Which is okay, because this way I get out of doing the laundry. Score!

What he said. Minus the "my woman cooks. a little" part. But other than that, yeah, what Andrew said.