• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimm's #1

Stigand

The abv dropped to 25% a couple of years after Diageo took over which would've (obviously) been related to cost in the UK due to the way that alcohol is taxed. Whether it was 40%abv when it was first bottled I'll never know but I guess that was to keep it in line with other spirits?

I believe I kind of said as much (when I pointed out that no one would use one of today's RTDs as an ingredient), but at the same time, I also see Erik's point that anything in a bottle was usually fair game in the quest for new cocktail ideas.

I said that in the post prior to yours. :wink: Those were different times where fruit cups (in this case James Pimm's No. 1 Cup) were very well known, I guess it would have been strange to use a pre-bottled drink as an ingredient in another (I'm still trying to ascertain exactly when they started bottling the No. 1 Cup). I don't really understand why that's odd to some.

As for the history of Pimm's that's not in question. If that's where the query stems from then it's a strange one.

Having said that, a Pimm's No. 1 Cup seems to be a kind of recursive cocktail, doesn't it?

"So, how do I make a Pimm's No. 1 Cup, then?"

"Well, first take 1.5 oz of Pimm's No. 1 Cup."

"Wait, what???"

No. 1 Cup was the original drink name, made by James Pimm. The Pimm's branding would've followed, likely due to the success of his drink (given the fact that it was then bottled for consistency when sold in other bars - James Pimm worked in an Oyster house if I remember right) and the fact that fruit cups were a big deal in early-to-mid 1800s Britain.

By what I've read it seems the original (No. 1 Cup) was made using gin, wine, liqueur/s and botanicals (quinine for one and I imagine various spices).

Bottled Pimm's is just that in a bottle. Hence the RTD reference. Add mixer, garnish and you're good to go.

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

I said that in the post prior to yours. :wink:

And I was just agreeing with you, but it seemed like you didn't think I was. And I was joking about the recursive thing, mostly.

Anyway, Pimm's all 'round, then.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I heard a rumor recently that the entire lineup of Pimms products are slated for US (re-)release in the not-too-distant future. Same source spoke of their being Pimm's Nos 1-7, I was previously only aware of 6. Anybody in a position to confirm or refute any of this?

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 6 months later...
I even looked through the UK Bartender's Guild "Approved Cocktails" circa the mid 1930s, when Harry Craddock was president, figuring Pimm's would have to be mentioned.

But the only mention is in the Glossary, where it says, "Pimm's No. 1 Cup.--This is claimed by the manufacturers to be the original Gin Sling."

I do not recall it in Approved, but in the 1934 UK 1,700 Cocktails for the Man Behind the Bar, I did spot a few Pimms drinks including the Pimmeron.

I found this thread in hopes that any one had information to the cities & dates on the front of the label. there are 14 including two American cities (Chicago & New Orleans) that fall within the years of Prohibition (190, 1925). Any clue what these cities and dates mean?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night I tried the Three Seasons (Toby Maloney, via Bartender's Choice).

Gin, Pimm's No. 1, lemon, lime, and orange wedges, cucumber, mint, strawberry, soda, borage (my addition).

7340071786_b263a6101e_z.jpg

LOTS of fruit in the glass, which was fun. Light and refreshing.

• 3 years later...

It's been a while...

This one was an occasion to use a few bottles that were gathering dust, for a Manhattan-like result.

Do-Right (Jared Fischer via Gaz Regan) with Crown Royal, Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Luxardo cherry liqueur, Regan's orange bitters.

Do-Right (Jared Fischer via Gaz Regan) with Crown Royal, Pimm's No. 1 Cup, Luxardo cherry liqueur, Regan's orange bitters #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #101bestnewcocktails #whiskey